Page 30 of 71 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality check: Counting calories page 30

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Just as a "ferinstance":

Today I had 6 eggs and wheatgrass juice for breakfast (don't laugh, I actually like wheatgrass)
    Spinach salad with swordfish steak for lunch
    two chicken breasts in a yummy curry I made for dinner
    and I still had enough calories in the budget for a piece of panther bar chocolate which I am now nibbling.
    I hit all of my macronutrient targets and the grand total was only a bit over 1300 calories and I couldn't eat any more if I tried.

It is definitely possible to restrict calories without starving or giving up all of life's pleasures.
    Wow, my target intake is about the same as yours, I don't know that I can eat 6 eggs at a sitting, even without bacon.

Just out of curiousity, how did the macros look on this meal? I assume you used fat to cook the eggs, in the salad dressing and in the curry?

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    Looks like I'm not getting close to enough protein, either. This thread may have solve my problem, too. I'm not at all sure how to get 120g of protein into two meals and a snack. This will definitely be a challenge.

On the body weight/protein thing: how do you arrive at your "ideal" weight? Is this taking body composition into account at all, or is it just sort of an arbitrary number? I'm guessing 120 for me, but could possibly go as low as 115 and be fine (as long as there's lots of muscle). I'm almost 5'4", fairly small build and currently weight somewhere between 125 and 130.

Paleobird - please keep posting your meals for a few days. I want to see that it's possible!

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    What is a coconut heart?

Plan your protein and your fat. Eat your protein and fat, and then add your veggies.
    ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

My Blog.

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JenCat View Post

On the body weight/protein thing: how do you arrive at your "ideal" weight? Is this taking body composition into account at all, or is it just sort of an arbitrary number?
    Paleobird - please keep posting your meals for a few days. I want to see that it's possible!
    For me I`m just using a goal weight which will be tweaked as I progress.....
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

On the body weight/protein thing: how do you arrive at your "ideal" weight?
    Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to adult men and women.

Figure your BMI. Calculator is here.

Or you can use a height - weight chart. You can find one here.

My Blog.

scooby is offline Member
    Runnergal's earlier link in this thread for determining your BMR had a nice calculator if you already knew your existing bodyfat percentage. You could select your target bodyfat percentage and activity level and it would then determine your caloric needs to get there.

I will say that unless they're actively trying to put on muscle as opposed to not losing it, I don't think most women need a gram of protein for lb of ideal or even lean body weight. I'm likely eating less than the 120g of protein that Paleobird is eating and much less than the 160 - 185g of protein Bodhi's formula would mandate for me and I don't appear to be losing lean muscle. I'm not packing on muscle, but my weight loss appears to be confined to fat and water.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JenCat View Post
    Looks like I'm not getting close to enough protein, either. This thread may have solve my problem, too. I'm not at all sure how to get 120g of protein into two meals and a snack.
    I wish I had my Protein Power Book handy...I believe the Eades recommend .8 to 1.0 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass. In my case at just under 5'5" I calculated my body mass using their charts at just around 100#. This gives me protein requirements of 80 to 100 grams. My target weight is 130-140.

If I targeted 1 gram of protein per target pound I would need to consume another 30-40 grams more, yikes. This also translates to 270-360 calories, which is significant either in terms of total calories or if you are controlling total input, the amount you need to deduct from carbs and protein.

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    The Primal Blueprint states 0.5 g as an absolute minimum but up to 1 g for active (or in need of more muscle) people per LB OF LEAN MUSCLE mass.

So at my 130 lbs (5' 5") and 20% ish bf I'm looking at around 52 - 100 g of protein a day. That equates to roughly 400 g of chicken or 16 eggs to give you some idea. And if you can't stomach that amount of protein look at protein powder or BCAAs! Personally I like eating the meat but I know others who really do well with the alternative options.

Don't forget there is a maximum amount you can metabolise in one sitting so to speak and excess can be converted to glucose so spread it across all the meals you eat in a day.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    That's what I was thinking, too. You go by LBM. Still, I'm not eating enough protein either way you look at it. I think I will have to go with a protein shake (Primal Fuel) to get that much protein, but I'm definitely refocusing my attention.

You go by LBM
    Yes.

My Blog.

Page 30 of 71 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast