Page 29 of 71 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality check: Counting calories page 29

carres1973 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyd View Post
    I LOVE the podcast you linked me to!! I like these guys alot;they have a great sense of humor
    They are great fun! I have listened to all up to 55 so far. I would listen to them during the summer on my long walks with the dog. Lots of good information...AND they don't take themselves too seriously which makes for a nice change!

Carrie

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie125 View Post
    I too eat pretty PB clean, but was holding on to weight. I tweaked all over, but am still flabby etc. The thing is, the intuitive eat until you are full thing does not work for me because I can eat so damn much....and at some point my body is just not using the stores of fat. That being said, I could eat massive amounts and not gain much.

However, I do not want to maintain at my current weight: I want to lose about 50 lbs. I am a muscular mesomorph--I put on muscle quickly--but am still encased in the puffy girl suit (or rather the puffy 40 something suit?).

So I have started recording what I eat in fitday. Calorie counting does not mean one automatically becomes CW OCD, it just means one is conscious of what one puts in one's body. It catches me out if I am eating emotionally, and when considered in conjunction with my weight, it tells me what is going on. I don't understand the resistance to cal counting -- it is keep track just like a keto stick is.

I first just ate whatever however much and recorded and I would come in at about 2400 cals a day. No wonder I was stuck! Primal allows me to feel fuller at a lower level however and I don't have to stuff myself: if I stick to 1500-1700 I will lose consistently doing mostly weights and just some cardio and sprints. At 1800 I start to slow down. At 2400 I will gain very very slowly but mostly level off.

I still eat fat and protein, obviously, but have cut back on the butter and bacon, and have increased my vegetables a fair amount.

Fitday may not be accurate, but like my scale, it is not about knowing the exact numbers per se, but knowing relatively how the numbers correspond to each other: I lose weight at X units, not at Y units. That is all that this means to me.

Also, the BCAA stuff is interesting: I have only been taking supplements right after a workout. But perhaps I should be taking them more consistently.
    My story exactly except I have 30 instead of 50 to shed. I think there are some people in this forum who come from a background of eating disorders, starve/binge cycles, yo-yo dieting, etc. For them, the whole concept of calorie counting is like a bad flashback and sends off alarm signals. For some people such as me, measuring tools just make sense, like you would need a tape measure to figure out how much new carpet to buy. For some people it attaches to some very emotional issues, for me it's just about using a tool to help me get to my goal.

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    For some people it attaches to some very emotional issues, for me it's just about using a tool to help me get to my goal.
    I agree. I track to get an idea of what I`m taking in and I`m sure one day I`ll be able to stop because I`ll know what foods contain what and in what amounts. Until then I`ll continue to track
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    Yep, that's why I think people should have a good visual of what enough protein looks like when measured an weighed, then they can go unweighted and unmeasured.
    OK, today I tried to eat as much protein as I could.
    Food
    10:30 – 2 Coconut hearts
    1:30 – 4 mushrooms, 3 eggs, ¼ C bacon omelet thingy. ½ C cucumber, 50 g Brie
    4 – ¼ C Tuna
    D – 1 ½ C chili (without beans), ½ C cucumber, coconut heart

I added the 3rd egg, the bacon, the Brie, the Tuna and an extra 1/2 C of chili to what I'd normally eat.

My CRONoMeter #s:
    Cal: 1307
    Protein: 89 g (29%)
    Carbs: 30 g (9%)
    Fat: 92 g (63%)

I ate as much chili as I could, and as much protein as I could, and I was STUFFED! But I still couldn’t eat 100g!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Paleobird Guest
    The bacon and the brie look like what took you overbudget on calories without giving you as much protein as you need. I'm also finding that, as much as I adore all coconut products, they are getting moved to the "occasional indulgence" rather than "dietary staple" category.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Ah, but eggs without bacon
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    Ah, but person without spare tire...............

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    That`s a sin... ;-)
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    My story exactly except I have 30 instead of 50 to shed. I think there are some people in this forum who come from a background of eating disorders, starve/binge cycles, yo-yo dieting, etc. For them, the whole concept of calorie counting is like a bad flashback and sends off alarm signals. For some people such as me, measuring tools just make sense, like you would need a tape measure to figure out how much new carpet to buy. For some people it attaches to some very emotional issues, for me it's just about using a tool to help me get to my goal.
    ^This.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just as a "ferinstance":

Today I had 6 eggs and wheatgrass juice for breakfast (don't laugh, I actually like wheatgrass)
    Spinach salad with swordfish steak for lunch
    two chicken breasts in a yummy curry I made for dinner
    and I still had enough calories in the budget for a piece of panther bar chocolate which I am now nibbling.
    I hit all of my macronutrient targets and the grand total was only a bit over 1300 calories and I couldn't eat any more if I tried.

It is definitely possible to restrict calories without starving or giving up all of life's pleasures.

Page 29 of 71 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast