Page 24 of 71 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality check: Counting calories page 24

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by carres1973 View Post
    I am on there as well (SparkPeople). EVERY day they comment that I didn't meet my "carb" requirement they set. EVERY day they tell me not to fall into the "low carb fad diet" trend!

Carrie
    If you click on the spot that says 'change your goals' at the top of the tracker you can change your carb goals. I have mine set at 50 to 130, and it tells me that I have the [perfect balance of carbs now I also adjusted my fat and cholesterol goals to be higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    OK, I've got to ask this ... why use it then! Whenever I want to check out food breakdown (and I don't do it often at all) I go to fitday - you can have your own list of foods you go to regularly, and add foods you make in the kitchen. And nobody says anything about my 67% fat, 23% protein, 10% carbs from vegetables, EVER!

SparkPeople sounds like Big Brother to me and has the potential to undermine what you feel is right for you.
    It was my experience with Fitday that their information was not 100% accurate and I found Sparkpeople to be more user friendly. I started with Fitday first, way back in like 2002. Then switched to SP in 2005 or so and have been there ever since. I don't mind the automated food tracker telling me off, whatever it is a software program.

Kelda is offline Senior Member
    I was somewhat in jest! Hard to convey mock horror over the ether!
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    I actually wasn't implying some of what you say is extreme - but all together some of the thread adds up to extreme. I don't have anything like 30lbs to lose - so again, not in your shoes. I am working damn hard to be the best i can - not "coasting" - but extreme measures are out - how you define "extreme" is subjective and individual. To someone who barely works out, my exercise routine would seem extreme even now perhaps. To someone following CW or SAD my diet for certain is.
    Its about your "personal line in the sand."
    Finally - the quote. I hope you did not mean to be as patronising as that comes across. I am exercising plenty of vigilance (Day 29(44) of a whole 44 doesn't allow for much slap happy eating when you do it "WHOLE" and as for self discipline - its before 8am on Saturday and I am about to go to the gym.

So, with that off my chest I'll just go "kick back" and let whatever the hell happens to my body as a result of taking my eye off the ball so much happen I guess .
    No offense intended toward you. Really Denise. I was talking about the whole, "Don't count/measure anything, eat when hungry, stop when not" mindset. I'm saying that I need to be more vigilant than that. I would love to be able to just relax and not think about stuff like that. But it's not working FOR ME. I didn't say that anyone else was being slap happy, just the I need to be more vigilant and disciplined which means that I'M the one who has been lax here. I'm actually getting on my own case, not on yours.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NutMeg View Post
    It was my experience with Fitday that their information was not 100% accurate and I found Sparkpeople to be more user friendly. I started with Fitday first, way back in like 2002. Then switched to SP in 2005 or so and have been there ever since. I don't mind the automated food tracker telling me off, whatever it is a software program.
    I have had that same experience with fitday. On Sparkpeople, the first thing to do is figure out how to get the "suggested meal plans" out of your face. Then find the "change your goals" button and set all the values to PB style. And the tracker will tell you how great you are doing by PB standards. I like the way it keeps a running tally for the day and shows you how much you still have left to go in each macronutrient category. This gives you an idea of where you should eat a little more and where you should just say no.

I can lose weight that way, but I do better if I am more conscious of what I am eating. I don't 'count calories' as in, if I am hungry I eat, even if I am over my weight loss calorie range for the day. Sparkpeople (which bases your activity level as sedentary) says I should eat 1220-1570 calories a day to lose 1 pound per week. That is too little for me. Livestrong says I should eat 1590 to start because of my lifestyle quotient. Then it gives me more calories if I track fitness, sometimes up to 2500!

So, if I am trying to stay below 1800 calories, which is where I like to be for weight loss, and I have already consumed 1850, but I am truly HUNGRY. I will eat and not worry about it.

I think of this as calorie restricting, but not the classic obsessive calorie counting that some people balk at. Yes, calorie counting, as in refusing to eat roe because you hit a magic number can be harmful. But, being aware of where you are and where you need to be is different. I consider it tracking/restricting, but not obsessing.

I can lose weight by only eating when I am hungry and stopping when I am full, and I do this for the most part. But, there are times when I need to take a closer look at what is going into my body because I hit a stall or maybe go up a pound or two over the course of a few weeks (not normal fluctuations, but actually gains over my baseline 'acceptable' weight).

Right now my focus is on decreasing my body fat percentage, so I do need to pay attention and even create a calorie deficit (i.e restrict consumption or increase output). If I want to maintain, I can take a laid back approach and never track or count or restrict. I can even eat well over the normal maintenance calorie level, I mean +500 calories a day, which should in theory lead to weight gain, but as long as my foods are primal it doesn't.

Paleobird Guest
    I think of this as calorie restricting, but not the classic obsessive calorie counting that some people balk at. Yes, calorie counting, as in refusing to eat roe because you hit a magic number can be harmful. But, being aware of where you are and where you need to be is different. I consider it tracking/restricting, but not obsessing.
    Exactly. Being aware doesn't have to mean being obsessive.

primaltreehgr is offline Senior Member
    i use livestrong.org (my plate). . .

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    No, but one piece of bacon with your chicken breast gives you the best of both worlds!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    See, the problem with me and bacon is I have trouble stopping at just one or two strips. If I fry up a 1/2 lb package, before I know it, I've scarfed the whole thing down.
    Just wrap the one slice around your chicken breast and roast, rather than frying up a piece to put beside. Better yet, cut the chicken in half and place the bacon in the middle, then roast.
    Watch your step there, I just drooled.

Carrie, I have never had that issue with Sparkpeople ever. How do they do that? I mean, do you get a popup. or an email or what?
    Calm the f**k down.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Metismomma View Post
    Carrie, I have never had that issue with Sparkpeople ever. How do they do that? I mean, do you get a popup. or an email or what?
    If you have it show you the end of day results by clicking the button towards the top of the tracker. It will then tell you where your ranges are and if your were 'good or bad'. It also shows the percentages of fat, carbs and protein or the percentages per food and meal.

Page 24 of 71 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast