Page 22 of 71 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 701

Thread: Reality check: Counting calories page 22

  1. #211
    js290's Avatar
    js290 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,026
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    My hormonal balance is not causing me to eat 1000 calories a day. I've eaten fewer carbs and more calories than that on other programs. It certainly makes eating 1000 to 1200 calories a day possible without losing my mind, but it's not as if I can't and haven't had celebration days where I ate 1800 calories. And I could have eaten more. I'm not crediting calorie restriction with the hormonal balance. That comes from carb restriction. I am saying that once carb restriction helps you achieve proper hormonal balance (which certainly has the salutory effect of decreasing appetite) you will still lose more fat (as opposed to water clinging to glycogen) by increasing your body's resort to stored body fat as fuel.
    When does your body "burn" the calories you consume? And what is its thermodynamic efficiency?

  2. #212
    Kelda's Avatar
    Kelda is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern Scotland
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I read (on PaNu, I think) that protein only causes an insulin spike if large amounts are consumed in one meal.

    Anecdotally, I notice that if I eat 1/4 pound of steak at a meal, I don't experience a blood sugar spike and if I eat 1/2 pound of meat in one meal, I actually feel high. (Smallish woman, here!) So I tend to space out my protein (~100 g/day) over my 3 meals.
    Agreed, most everywhere I read it suggests eating your protein divided between however many meals you eat in a day for this very reason. Using lean protein as a snack if required is smart too, like some cold chicken, that way you are eeking out the protein through the eating window. All protein that isn't required for replenishment of muscle and stores is converted to glucose.

    Any way you look at this portion control (and that's just another way of saying calorie counting) and mindfulness of the balance of the macros seems to be the key. I've thought a lot about this over the last few days and the penny has really dropped, especially rereading the Eades.

    Paleobird - that meal was epic in terms of calories and fat load! I don't think you need to get anal about every last ounze or dropping the bacon but perhaps moderation and smaller more frequent (relatively speaking) meals is the answer here.

    Thanks for posting this one I think it's given a lot of us a chance to really examine the process again and to use critical thinking and that can only be a good thing.
    Seeking the natural way in a modern world ...

  3. #213
    denise's Avatar
    denise is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    884
    I have just realised I am sooooo lucky!!

    I have to admit I am no longer "fat" - just bigger than I would like to be (not got to the bottom of that one yet.) I am definitely not skinny, I am muscular. I didn't get slim in the "right way" but even when I began PB last year I probably only had 20lbs to lose to get slim. By now - I am guessing as I don't weigh, but I think I am about 10/15lbs away from that "mythical number" I used to aim for. I've been this weight before (whatever it is) for sure, I kind of recognise this size. Been slimmer - but not VASTLY.

    But, to get to my point, I simply don't have to do the extreme stuff some people seem prepared to do to get to a goal or achieve major weight loss. (There are both types on here - slim people playing with BF% and people with major weight to drop).

    Hence my realisation - I really am soooooooo lucky. Because believe me I could never face 1000 calories again.

  4. #214
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelda View Post
    Any way you look at this portion control (and that's just another way of saying calorie counting) and mindfulness of the balance of the macros seems to be the key. I've thought a lot about this over the last few days and the penny has really dropped, especially rereading the Eades.

    Paleobird - that meal was epic in terms of calories and fat load! I don't think you need to get anal about every last ounze or dropping the bacon but perhaps moderation and smaller more frequent (relatively speaking) meals is the answer here.
    Portion control. Exactly. That Eades article really made a lot of sense. When Taubes talks about calorie restriction as being an exercise in futility, he is still talking about people with excess amounts of carbs raging around running their metabolisms. Those of us who are long since over carbs (for me over 2 years), are happily running on fat in ketosis and that feels great. But if we keep throwing huge amounts of fat on the fire, the body will burn dietary fat first and not get around to the stored fat.

    That was an epic goose meal. I posted it by way of trying to prove that I am not in danger of dieting myself into anorexia or metabolic disorders. But I won't be buying any more geese. Anybody want a jar of goose fat?

  5. #215
    duckmama's Avatar
    duckmama is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    I have just realised I am sooooo lucky!!

    I have to admit I am no longer "fat" - just bigger than I would like to be (not got to the bottom of that one yet.) I am definitely not skinny, I am muscular. I didn't get slim in the "right way" but even when I began PB last year I probably only had 20lbs to lose to get slim. By now - I am guessing as I don't weigh, but I think I am about 10/15lbs away from that "mythical number" I used to aim for. I've been this weight before (whatever it is) for sure, I kind of recognise this size. Been slimmer - but not VASTLY.

    But, to get to my point, I simply don't have to do the extreme stuff some people seem prepared to do to get to a goal or achieve major weight loss. (There are both types on here - slim people playing with BF% and people with major weight to drop).

    Hence my realisation - I really am soooooooo lucky. Because believe me I could never face 1000 calories again.
    I've been lurking on this thread since it started, and I can relate to Denise's post - sounds like me! And I think Denise's point about not doing the"extreme stuff some people seem prepared to do..." could also be interpreted as you are choosing not to do the extreme stuff because you're happy where you are. At least that's what I read into it. And that's what I'm coming to terms with for myself. I'm really trying to stop obsessing for the first time in my life over the number on the scale and the numbers on the clothing in my wardrobe and the numbers of calories and percentages of macronutrients, blah blah blah, and all of the other numbers that seem to chase us around and make us feel inadequate. I can maintain where I am with relative ease and enjoy my life at the same time. Sure, I could probably lose 10 or 20 pounds based upon someone's interpretation of where I should be on a height-weight chart or a BMI chart or whatever, but it would likely take a massive amount of effort and tracking and obsessing. I feel good right now, DH thinks I look great, I'm getting nicely toned, I don't have sugar crashes anymore.

    My primary goals right now: #1: not to have to buy new clothes because the old ones are too tight. If I buy new clothes, it's because I want something new; #2: Not to follow my family's bad history of diabetes, HBP, heart disease, etc.

    So far I'm succeeding on both fronts and I feel great and I look good. That's enough for now.

  6. #216
    denise's Avatar
    denise is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by duckmama View Post
    I've been lurking on this thread since it started, and I can relate to Denise's post - sounds like me! And I think Denise's point about not doing the"extreme stuff some people seem prepared to do..." could also be interpreted as you are choosing not to do the extreme stuff because you're happy where you are. At least that's what I read into it. And that's what I'm coming to terms with for myself. I'm really trying to stop obsessing for the first time in my life over the number on the scale and the numbers on the clothing in my wardrobe and the numbers of calories and percentages of macronutrients, blah blah blah, and all of the other numbers that seem to chase us around and make us feel inadequate. I can maintain where I am with relative ease and enjoy my life at the same time. Sure, I could probably lose 10 or 20 pounds based upon someone's interpretation of where I should be on a height-weight chart or a BMI chart or whatever, but it would likely take a massive amount of effort and tracking and obsessing. I feel good right now, DH thinks I look great, I'm getting nicely toned, I don't have sugar crashes anymore.

    My primary goals right now: #1: not to have to buy new clothes because the old ones are too tight. If I buy new clothes, it's because I want something new; #2: Not to follow my family's bad history of diabetes, HBP, heart disease, etc.

    So far I'm succeeding on both fronts and I feel great and I look good. That's enough for now.
    yes, you are exactly right in your interpretation. I am CHOOSING not to do extreme things. I may not look in the mirror and LOVE what I see, but I don't know that I ever would. So, I am choosing to hope I am changing slowly for the better while I work hard at eating right and working out hard and smart. And really really slow is just fine because day to day my life is good! Not overshadowed by numbers.

    I have, in a previous thread, proposed trying to imagine the liberation of a world without numbers to define ourselves (size, weight, BF%, BMI, calories in, calories out, macros, IF windows - even age etc etc) . It may not be something everyone wants to do - but to me its such a liberating thought - and I can choose to live like that.

    I do love that I seem to have found a WOE that means I have a huge amount of latitude in what I eat to MAINTAIN weight - and that seems to be able to deliver (very) slow steady body changes.

    As you say "thats enough for now"

  7. #217
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    @ both duckmama & denise
    I respect your choices. My choice is to get what I see as 30 extra pounds off of me. (Not anyone else, MD chart, SO,etc. telling me I should do this, this is what I want for me).
    I want to look in the mirror and love what I see and, not only do I think this is possible, I am not willing to settle for anything less. I also want 30 less pounds taking their toll on my knee joints over the years. And I want to be able to climb Mt. Kilimangaro this August without being in pain. This is not all about vanity, health is there too. I don't think that counting calories and tracking one's macronutrients is at all "extreme". As pointed out on this thread there are several software options that make it very easy to do.
    Maintenance is "enough for now" for you. Fine, I respect that. It's not enough for me. If that means I have to be vigilant and exercise some self discipline, I'm willing to do that. To me, my choice is not extreme. It just makes sense given my goals.

  8. #218
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,081
    i think it's possible, the question is just how long it might take.

    one thing i've observed about my body when i went through my two weight-loss times (one at 22 and one after pregnancy), is that the body stalls for a bit and starts back up again.

    i think you have a lot of areas where you can experiment and tweak, so i'm sure you'll find something that works.

    i, mostly, work on trying not to be obsessive. LOL i'm good at being obsessive.

  9. #219
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    The past couple of days I have been experimenting with the various software options out there for tracking these things. Thank you to everyone who put in a suggestion.
    After playing around with several, I have settled on Sparkpeople. It seems to be very user friendly and include options for tracking home made items not just packaged things with labels.

    At the end of the day, the numbers show that I am doing fine on carbs and ok on fat but I need to eat more protein. To get more protein without going overboard on fat and calories, I have to start making leaner protein choices. Bacon can't be one of the major food groups.

  10. #220
    NutMeg's Avatar
    NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    1,513
    No, but one piece of bacon with your chicken breast gives you the best of both worlds!

Page 22 of 71 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •