Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality check: Counting calories page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Lojasmo View Post
    I think 1-2 24 hour fasts a week is a better idea. As I said before, I prefer the leangains approach.
    But I thought I was only supposed to be eating when hungry. The times I'm IFing are not because I feel I should but just because I don't feel hungry.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    But I thought I was only supposed to be eating when hungry. The times I'm IFing are not because I feel I should but just because I don't feel hungry.
    Well, I'm not a big proponent of the "if you eat too few calories you'll go into starvation mode" but I think you might be headed there with 4 24 hour fasts weekly. That might bring you to a grand total of 6,000 calories on some weeks.

Prolonged fasts should be 1 or two times weekly, tops, I think.

At 5'10" and 180, I would think that 1800 Kcal/day would be good for weight loss (just pulling that out of the air) which would be 12,600 calories weekly.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I have read Taubes and understand that there are good calories and bad calories. But there are still calories and too many of them, even the “good” kind and weight loss is not going to happen. I realize that the “calories in-calories out” thermodynamic explanation for weight loss/gain is over simplified but still calories DO count. So I am going to count calories. They will all be PB approved high quality calories, but I will restrict the quantity and see how it goes.
    I do sprints weekly. I eat a square of dark chocolate and a glass of red wine maybe once a week. I don't think cutting these out will do something magical but all over calorie restriction might.
    Have you read Why We Get Fat as well as GCBC? I think he makes a really good case for insulin (and other hormones) being the culprits. I suggest cutting out your carb "cheats" for a couple of weeks first (no sugar, chocolate, wine, nuts, yogurt) and make sure you get really good sleep-- then see if you really need to restrict.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    I had one of those well-muscled physiques at 52, and lemme tell you, it was HARD WORK. Yeah, I ate ad lib, had no trouble IFing, didn't go hungry, didn't weigh, measure or count----but I worked out HARD to get there. Crossfit workouts 3 times a week. Long distance cycling on weekends. Heavy lifting.
    At 5'6" tall, I weighed a very well-muscled 140 lbs. I looked GREAT.

If you are not over-eating, I think you are setting yourself up for problems if you restrict calories. To get a more athletic physique, you have to be more, well, athletic. Specifically, for women our age, lifting heavy does wonders. Which is what I would recommend rather than calorie restriction. Build muscle.

This doesn't have to take over your life. Just find someone who really knows about lifting. That's my .02 cents fwiw!
    Pea

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    maintenance without too much distress. But actual weight loss? not so much. Now in theory if I stick with this for months while my body heals (from what I am not sure) weight loss will naturally happen. Or maybe this is the weight my body is "supposed to be at".
    Exactly. It works for Mark because he has never been a nano-gram over weight in his life.
    "In theory" I like that. Then there is real life.
    re body healing, I don't feel like there is anything to heal in my case
    How can we know if this is our "supposed to be here" weight or just our primal bodies holding on to extra for some future lean time that never comes?
    Last edited by Paleobird; 02-27-2011 at 02:42 PM.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    These kind of threads tend to worry me a little bit, especially coming from posters whom I respect/like such as Paleobird. There are many things that I find wrong with calorie counting, perhaps the most important one being the difference between calories from a CW standpoint and a primal one.

I don't really have the energy to go into much more detail but I do have a question, do you count calories on a daily basis and restrict yourself if you feel you've reached your daily allotted limit, or is it more of a weekly thing? Either way, the whole thing is dumb. I'm sorry, I want to put it nicer than that, but I can't, there's so many things involved with it that calories are probably the most insignificant out of all of them.

If you're sprinting weekly, and doing some sort of LHT (which I know you have to be doing if you're working on your pull ups, even assisted work would count towards LHT) then "only eating when hungry" may not be ideal. However, I don't want to go and confuse you further by telling you to eat more, mostly because if you gain I don't want you to hate me for it. Only you know if you're depriving yourself of food, if you feel you're not, then carry on and as always best of luck.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    If you are not over-eating, I think you are setting yourself up for problems if you restrict calories. To get a more athletic physique, you have to be more, well, athletic. Specifically, for women our age, lifting heavy does wonders. Which is what I would recommend rather than calorie restriction. Build muscle.
    +1 This is what I think is helping me the most, along with the carb restriction.

peril is offline Senior Member
    A couple of points:

* you may have some metabolic derangement - common for we older members - so it may take longer for you to see the benefits of the dietary change

* Stephan Guyanet had a blog a few months ago where he noted that liquid calories are positively correlated with weight gain, or failure to lose weight. I'd think about giving up the green smoothie
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Have you read Why We Get Fat as well as GCBC? I think he makes a really good case for insulin (and other hormones) being the culprits. I suggest cutting out your carb "cheats" for a couple of weeks first (no sugar, chocolate, wine, nuts, yogurt) and make sure you get really good sleep-- then see if you really need to restrict.
    Yep, read them both and I do understand how insulin works. Not coming from a background of major carb/sugar consumption, I don't have an insulin sensitivity issue. I do get lots of quality sleep and don't eat yoghurt or any dairy. Do you think one handful of macadamia nuts, one square of 88% dark chocolate and one glass of wine over the course of a week's worth of completely PB foods really makes that much of a difference?

shrona is offline Member
    I think tracking calories would be a great idea for you to do for a normal week. (Don't think it's necessary over the long run.) I also think undernourishing might be an issue you are having with losing the last bit of fat. When I eat 2 HUGE meals a day, like stuffing myself with meat and veggies soaking in butter and bacon grease, the most calories I can get in is 1800 (I easily get that up to 2000 by adding a glass of wine and/or chocolate though ). I would think eating 900-1000 calories a day every once in a while (like once week?), would help weight loss, but 3-4 times I think would cause you to hold onto fat. Anyhow, I would certainly gather some more data and try anything else before giving up my mac nuts, chocolate, and wine! I am going to start following your journal so I can follow your progress!

Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast