Page 18 of 71 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: Reality check: Counting calories page 18

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post
    You're IF'ing for 3-4 days for 24 hrs each (why that is I still don't comprehend). I'm going with the assumption that on your non-IF days you're consuming around 1600 calories. If you only IF 3 days a week you're still only consuming 6400 calories a week. Average that it comes out to 915 calories a day. If you're not exercising that may be fine but you are. And your body is basically doing a "WTF is this chick doing?" to you and being stubborn with those few lbs.
    I'm IFing because I was told that it was the way to cure "stalled weight loss". It didn't cause the stall. The stall was already there before the IFs. Granted it is obviously not helping any and needs to be tossed of the scrap heap of stuff that sounded good on the net but didn't work IRL.
    Why does everybody assume I eat like a bird? I scarfed down 1/4 of a goose tonight plus squash, green beans, stuffing made with sausage, onions, and walnuts. And primal gravy. (recipe on request)

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    He thinks it's futile as a way to lose body fat. Cites studies showing that people tend to overeat when they exercise, so they never create a calorie deficit.

Fewer carbs if you are as carb-sensitive as I am. You may still be eating too many and keeping your insulin levels too high for the fat to be released.

Bioidentical estrogen, if your post-menopausal estrogen is too low (low estrogen triggers belly fat storage because fat produces estrogen in post menopausal women--but that might not be kosher with the docs, given your medical history...)

FWIW, I am leaning out nicely on my 20 g carbs and 1500 calories. I have plenty of energy now that I have keto-adapted.
    But I thought he said the whole calories in calories out model was bogus. Now he's saying people overeat when they exercise and therefor don't create a calorie deficit? I thought he thought the whole idea of calorie deficits was a joke. Now I'm really confused. But maybe that's what happens when you take nutritional advice from a journalist.

And NO, anything resembling a hormone supplement is a big NOT for breast cancer survivors.

I'm in ketosis too. Purple ketostix and all. Under 50 a day. I guess if you are really carb sensitive it makes a difference to go from 50 to 20 and I'm glad that is working for you. I don't think that is me.

denise is offline Senior Member
    I actually HEAR the frustration in your posts, that "but I'm doing that" thing. I have no pearls of wisdom really - but I would suggest, tentatively, that you count if you think that'll be a way forwards, do as people suggest and "see what happens" after a period of time. You can only do what you think is right and there is a dizzying array of "what ifs" that are being suggested. Some you obviously discount - they are wrong or dangerous for you. Others - you have tried and feel did not work.

Taubes seemed to me to say "beware of exercising for weight loss because you may set up carb cravings that you then give in to", not "don't exercise (though when I first saw that bit it did make me pause too). I exercise now for all the benefits - and yes to create a slight "deficit", lets call it calories - but trying not to send myself spiralling into a binge. What I will say (and I had the same utter utter confusion about this as you seem to have about what is happening to you) - I used to exercise off 2000 calories a day, eat 1200 and PUT ON WEIGHT. I still cannot fathom how that was possible. Not water - fat. I was somehow creating fat from thin air!! So, whilst I will never understand how all this science actually fits together (hormones, macros, calories, exercise, stress, sleep, vitamins - the whole thing called "life") I do for a moment get glimpses of clarity where I see sense. The rest of the time - I am acting almost on faith and "I await the results". (I am not someone getting massive physical results either - just subtle ones so far)

As I said, no wisdom - just a degree of sympathy with someone frustrated by "doing it right" and not seeming to get the benefits.

Paleobird Guest
    Thank you, Denise. It's even more frustrating when the definition of "doing it right" seems to shift with the breeze.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I scarfed down 1/4 of a goose tonight plus squash, green beans, stuffing made with sausage, onions, and walnuts. And primal gravy.
    Okay, you are so my hero. You're f*cking with my early morning IF with all that delicious talking, but definitely my hero.

(recipe on request)
    Request!

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    But I thought he said the whole calories in calories out model was bogus. Now he's saying people overeat when they exercise and therefor don't create a calorie deficit? I thought he thought the whole idea of calorie deficits was a joke. Now I'm really confused. But maybe that's what happens when you take nutritional advice from a journalist
    i dont think he denied the energy balance - you definitely have to create an energy deficit in order to lose weight. it's that how we think we have to do it [eat less + exercise more] is flawed, because we think of them as independent variables and they're not. someone correct me if i am wrong.

you'll find where you need to be. keep the faith easy for some, not easy for others. myself included in the latter.

and primal gravy? plz share.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Time for some Lyle McDonald

article 1: Why Do Obese People not Lose More Weight When Treated with Low-Calorie Diets? | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

article 2: How Many Carbohydrates Do You Need | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

article 3: The Energy Balance Equation | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

article 4: Exercise and Weight/Fat Loss: Part 1 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald (from there, read part 2)

article 5: Why Big Caloric Deficits and Lots of Activity Can Hurt Fat Loss | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

You know, because this thread isn't all that confusing just YET. Lyle brings a lot of numbers into his articles and is very thorough, I hope this helps somewhat! rather than confuse further keep in mind, Lyle isn't paleo and I don't think he often goes into WHAT you should eat, just gives you macro breakdowns.

Something's gotta be the cause of the not budging and by golly, we're going to get to the bottom of it.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    i dont think he denied the energy balance - you definitely have to create an energy deficit in order to lose weight
    This.
    But maybe that's what happens when you take nutritional advice from a journalist
    Then how about taking some diet advice from a doctor?
    This is the article (that profdjj posted originally) that made the most sense to me:
    The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Low-carb and calories

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Something's gotta be the cause of the not budging and by golly, we're going to get to the bottom of it.
    thanks for the links - i will for sure be having a look. Clarity is always good!!

Had to quote you as I now have an image of lots of PBers rolling up their sleeves to "solve this sucker"

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    This.

Then how about taking some diet advice from a doctor?
    This is the article (that profdjj posted originally) that made the most sense to me:
    The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Low-carb and calories
    have to say, I read this after it was first posted. It is VERY clear and I have actually altered how I am eating (as an experiment) as a result of it!! Not what I wanted to hear maybe - but nice and clearly put!

Page 18 of 71 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast