Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D or D3? page

JonnyH is offline Senior Member

Vitamin D or D3?

Hi

I'm looking for some advice regarding Vitamin D, I have just started taking vit D tablets, ingredients are Vitamin D 400iu (200% RDA) Dicalcium Phosphate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Magnesium Stearate, Silicon Dioxide

Here is the link to them:

http://www.simplysupplements.net/pro...tamin-d-400iu/

I have read also that it should be vit D3 I should be taking, any advice about this? are the tablets that I'm taking ok?

Many thanks

Any advice welcome, I know there maybe other threads on the subject, but havent found any, if anyone has the link to any that would be good.

Thanks

Supersonic is offline Member
    JonnyH,

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) is what you want to take. It is a hormone and very important to the many functions inside the human body. The ingredients you listed appears to be fillers for the tablet.

Depending at where you are at with your levels, 5,000 is common is average person who gets an average amount of sun. 10,000IU are for those who never see the sun. 1,000IU or lower may be for those are in the sun all day long. However, these are general numbers and to find out how much you really need get your levels checked out. I haven't checked mine out in a long time and I should go.

Personally, I know mine are low because I don't get nearly enough sun, so 5,000IU is a good middle ground for me and will adjust accordingly when I get my levels checked out,.

metalsporks is offline Senior Member
    Vit D2 is the vegan form of the Vitamin as it is not derived from animals. However it is much harder for your body to utilize. D3 is animal base and readily absorbed. While I have not researched this in depth I did a litle research when I found out about my deficiency. An interesting article I read once mentioned that doses near 6000IU can actually help prevent the seasonal flu. I take this much when I remember to and have been minorly sick once this entire winter. And that is by eating SAD (I'm still in my research phase of transitioning to Primal). So while getting your VitD fromt he sun is the best by far I would recommend 4-6K IU of Vit D3 daily. And if you are concerned about overdosing let me just say that in the past 23 years there have been billions of deaths caused by prescription meds that are used to treat preventable diseases and only 10 deaths POSSIBLY linked to vitamin overdoses. I like the vitamin odds better...

P.S. 400IU is what they recommend breastfed infants get daily as a suppliment so feel free to up the dose considering it is highly likely that you AREN'T a baby... lol.

P.P.S. "Q: Do you plan on selling vitamin D3?
    A: At the moment we sell Calcium and Vitamins D3 combined and Vitamin D2 on its own. Hopefully soon we will add Vitamin D3 on our range of Supplements."

Based on this from the site supplied in the OP I would imagine that the particular suppliment in question is VitD2. The thoughts on combining D and calcium is that VitD affects the absorbtion of calcium similar to the affect of Mg on Calcium.

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    I would say those supplements are worthless, considering both the dosage and the lack of specification as to what type of vitamin D they contain. Yes, you're going to want to make sure the D you're taking is D3. D2 requires much higher dosages and isn't nearly as effective from what I've heard. Also, the oil-based capsule supplements are supposed to be more effective than the chalky tablet kind.

And 400 I.U. is not nearly enough vitamin D. Some people here take as much as 10,000 I.U. per day on average, and much higher doses are recommended for short periods. There is a wealth of information pertaining to Vitamin D in the following thread:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...amin-D-Thread=
    Last edited by Styrofoam Jones; 03-01-2011 at 01:01 PM.

[QUOTE=metalsporks;358044]P.P.S. "Q: Do you plan on selling vitamin D3?
    QUOTE]

Hi
    Thanks for reply
    No I'm not selling the Vit D3, just wondered if I'm taking the right supplement.
    BTW I'm taking 3 tablets daily, so 1200IU, way under what some I've read are taking daily.

Thanks

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Read this. The article has dosage info about half-way down. This site is fantastic for Vitamin D info.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    I take 5000-10000 iu per day depending on how much sun i get. I work at night so I probably see a little less than a lot of other people, so i figure i need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Read this. The article has dosage info about half-way down. This site is fantastic for Vitamin D info.
    Thanks Dragonfly, great info there.
    I think I need to up my intake, I work indoors all week, dont see a lot of sun at the moment.
    Cheers

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Styrofoam Jones View Post
    I would say those supplements are worthless, considering both the dosage and the lack of specification as to what type of vitamin D they contain. Yes, you're going to want to make sure the D you're taking is D3. D2 requires much higher dosages and isn't nearly as effective from what I've heard. Also, the oil-based capsule supplements are supposed to be more effective than the chalky tablet kind.

And 400 I.U. is not nearly enough vitamin D. Some people here take as much as 10,000 I.U. per day on average, and much higher doses are recommended for short periods. There is a wealth of information pertaining to Vitamin D in the following thread:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...amin-D-Thread=
    Thanks for the link, will wade through that thread when I've got a spare hour or 2!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast