Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your opinion on the Okinawa Diet? page

Question What is your opinion on the Okinawa Diet?

Shop Now
    I'm strictly PB but I have been reading about the Okinawa diet for a while just for the sense of interest. I find their lifestyle intriguing. I do not plan on adapting an Okininawa diet but I do find some of our habits are similar. I always keep my workouts short but intense. I almost always eat until I'm 80% full & enjoy my afternoon snack sometimes a morning snack as well. I love my morning coffee. I love extra dark chocolate as well (85% or darker). I have not been sick in almost 2 years, developed a good amount of muscle mass, & I'm at 9% body fat thanks to being primal. I agree w/ Mark as far as taking it easy as often as possible. Anyone else have an interest with the Okininawa habits?
    -Connoisseur Guy

Pitter is offline Member
    I love the eat till 80% full thing. Best thing ever for everyone to implement.

I don't know too much else about the diet there, but I do know that I'm sick of other people who also don't know much about their diet use it as an argument for vegetarianism. I'm pretty positive it's not that low in animal products. I should learn more about it though. Sources you recommend?

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    They lost me at soy.

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    This might interest you:

http://huntgatherlove.com/content/what-about-okinawans

I don't think that the Okinawa diet is that low in fat and meat either-->http://www.wonder-okinawa.jp/026/e/pork.html Remember, while they consume tofu/soy, they enjoy Pork as well.
    Last edited by Zed; 02-27-2011 at 03:08 PM.

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    They traditionally eat vegetables, whole grains, fruits, legumes (soy foods) and fish with limited amounts of lean meats.

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    May I point out that the Okinawa Diet contains no modern, industrial era processed foods, trans fats, and highly refined flour and sugar?

peril is offline Senior Member
    The Okinawans used to eat little or no grains, with their carbs coming from tubers. Their diet appears to have been quite different from that of the larger Japanese islands. It might help this discussion if the OP could post some links to the Okinawan diet, otherwise we are all commenting on different things
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

It seems to me that the main factors are the 80% eating habits & the avoidance of trauma. Their physical activity isn't as limit-testing as ours. I'm all for short intense strength building though
    -Connoisseur Guy

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Several years ago I happened on an Okinawan tourism site that detailed their long history of pork consumption. Despite what my veggie friends claimed (along with the much ballyhooed Okinawan Diet), they prided themselves on their high pork consumption and actually said that to be okinawan was to eat lots of pork.

They also went into their long gone tradition of eating horse meat. They did mention that their diet changed somewhat after WWII. They seemed blissfully unaware of the claims being made they theirs was an ideal example of a low@-meat diet.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    Yes, pork is prized in Okinawa. They use the whole animal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast