Thread: Down due to injury... page

JLB
    JLB is offline Member

Down due to injury...

Shop Now
    Good morning. So... Here is a little background to the story...

I LOVE my workouts and was doing really well with primal, etc. THEN... my trip to Paris and London and I totally overdid and blew my lifestyle with regard to food and working out. The day I left, I injured my foot doing a pretty decent plyo workout in an unfamiliar pair of shoes and thought it would get better if I just rested it (during my flight from LAX). It didn't. Anyway, during the entire trip I ate things I normally don't but to make matters worse, my foot didn't allow me to do the workouts I could do regularly and had intended on which made me depressed and then I would eat worse... See the cycle here? During the trip it was so bad that it looked like I had a club foot or elephantitis!

So... now I am home and feeling so much better getting back to my primal eating and having no problem with that. The main issue is my foot!!! I am back to work and had a crazy busy week (hair stylist that stands almost all day). The swelling is better but not gone and the pain is still there. I tried to go on a hike the other day and it swole back up. After the week of no working out other than that hike I am so bummed. I know I need to rest but... sux!!! I haven't gone to the doctor because I am trying to avoid spending the $$.

Anyone have some words of wisdom or can you just tell me it's gonna get better and back to normal. Just having a discouraged morning! Cheers.

Rud3d0g is offline Senior Member
    Patience - it took me 5 weeks after dropping a 45# plate on my foot before I could run without pain. If you want to keep your legs in shape while you heal, you might want to take up squatting and dead lifting. Your feet are stationary so you can build up/maintain muscle with out the impact of jogging or pylo ending your workout. With the exception of switching from jump rope to a rowing machine during warm up, my work outs while healing were unchanged.

If your not into lifting you can do the crossfit style air squats:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IewlDXTfbjU
    Last edited by Rud3d0g; 02-27-2011 at 09:33 AM. Reason: added link
    "First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do" - Epictetus

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    Spam aside....

I just suffered a calf strain last week. Its my third or fourth time with that sort of injury, so I know the drill....six weeks rest, at least. So, yeah, rest is king (sadly, because rest is also a bummer). BUT, I've also recovered really, really quick this time around. My guess is its been my daily fasting (one meal a day). Its pure speculation, but I believe it may have allowed my body to tackle the injury.

Whatever the case, you need to get a handle on all that inflammation. So watch what you eat.

JLB
    JLB is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orchid View Post
    Spam aside....

I just suffered a calf strain last week. Its my third or fourth time with that sort of injury, so I know the drill....six weeks rest, at least. So, yeah, rest is king (sadly, because rest is also a bummer). BUT, I've also recovered really, really quick this time around. My guess is its been my daily fasting (one meal a day). Its pure speculation, but I believe it may have allowed my body to tackle the injury.

Whatever the case, you need to get a handle on all that inflammation. So watch what you eat.

Thank you! I did rest and I think my body appreciated it! Lots of ice and maybe a little too much primal food from boredom but all in all, a better day. 24hr fast today and Thursday! Cheers!