Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK...Hmmm...Interesting page

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member

OK...Hmmm...Interesting

Ok, I got on the scale this morning because I was feeling "light" after waking. And low and behold I had lost another 3 lbs!!! So, Im down a total of 20 from when I started. I weighed 228 lbs this morning.

But as usual, the scale brings with it more questions than answers! So, I have another question for all of you "fitness" groks out there. Zen groks, if this thread is boring you...I apologize. I promise to become more ZEN-like when I get closer to where I want to be....

The question: I dropped 3 lbs from my last weighing earlier this week (I was 231). But I had TWO large glasses of red wine yesterday...which was a big splurge for me. I know alcohol stops fat burning as it is preferred fuel over EVERYTHING else (i.e. the liver tries to eliminate it IMMEDIATELY over everything else in the bloodstream). But this is the second time since I have went PB that I noticed a larger than normal loss of body weight after drinking red wine.Coincidence? Or is there something with the red wine?? Anyone else have this experience??? Personally, I am a HUGE fan of red wine and when I was CW I would have several glasses everyday. But since going PB I have by and large cut it out except for only special occasions. What gives people? Any ideas/advice will be appreciated....
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Red wine has a diuretic effect, so you excreted water

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitoi View Post
    Red wine has a diuretic effect, so you excreted water
    yes. there is nothing magical about red wine.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

OK...Kitoi..I could see that and I thought that might be the reason. Which begs the next question, why would my body holding onto the excess water weight then? When in Ketosis.....which I am almost 100% of the time as measured by my trusty Ketostix and strong smelling urine (sorry, If I grossed anyone out with that but I can tell by the smell of my urine now when I am ketogenic), I literally am going to the bathroom 10-15 times a day. I drink water throughout my entire day and I use the bathroom A LOT. So, I know my body is processing my bodyfat and dietary fat as energy. And being Ketogenic is supposed to have a diuretic effect in and of itself:water is used for fat hydrolysis...and excess water and ketones are excreted through the breath and urine.

So, with all of that going on...I throw down two glasses of wine (i.e. about 1/3 of a small sized wine bottle-not a big carafe)....and lose ~ 3lbs? It just doesnt make sense to me. I suppose its possible...but why would my body hold onto so much water when I am constantly drinking it to continue fat metabolism???

If Red Wine does this routinely ....then I am thinking I need a "Wine Purge" every couple of weeks!!!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    can't link you at the moment cus I'm using my phone but Leangains had a write up about alcohol and fat loss go check it out...

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/tru...nd-muscle.html

what I really think you need to do is have a nice break-up ceremony with your scale.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    And that is a damned shame!

Quote Originally Posted by kennelmom View Post
    yes. there is nothing magical about red wine.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    itll balance out.... yes the wine caused the water loss, but it *should* also cause a drop in cortisol, so when fat burning resumed may have done so in a better manner?? hahah its a stretch but keeping hopes up, red wine=

Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/tru...nd-muscle.html

what I really think you need to do is have a nice break-up ceremony with your scale.
    Yes, Moo, I need to get rid of the scale. But old habits die SO hard!

And I am after all a truly Scientific Grok. We need to analyze, analyze ,analyze...weighing is just another tool for data analysis.

Sorry if I bore you with all of my anal-yzing!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    can't link you at the moment cus I'm using my phone but Leangains had a write up about alcohol and fat loss go check it out...
    When you get a chance....can you send me the link???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast