Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guess I can toss the TUMS page

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member

Guess I can toss the TUMS

Primal Fuel
    Not sure if this belongs here or in the nutrition thread but for dinner tonight I had a big ol' ground beef patty (prolly 1/3 lb.) and a side of bell peppers and onions, sauteed in olive oil. I couldn't finish all the meat, but scarfed every scrap of the veggies.

Four weeks ago this meal would have given me heartburn from hell. But then four weeks ago I would have had it with French bread and rice.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    It's not a freak occurance LJH. Lower carb diets are excellent at curing reflux. I was on PPI's for years before finding Primal. I just wish I had found out years ago. My dad died at 54 from eosophageal cancer after a lifetime of reflux

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    So sad about your dad, I'm sorry you lost him so young.

My mother didn't have cancer but eventually had a large portion of her eosophasus removed as her stomach acid had eaten a hole in it! She was in her 90s by that time, but still ...

I was concerned when I started having the same issues at 60. But I haven't had heartburn or indigestion since day one Primal. Yay me!

mcc0523 is offline Junior Member
    I'm happy for you!! It's wonderful to know that you're able to reverse damage caused by the SAD/CW. I'm sorry you lost your father at such a young age, too.

I've had the same effect myself. Which I'm very happy about, because I was diagnosed last year, at age 23, with Barrett's esophagus and gastritis after over a decade of horrid reflux. I took PPI's long enough that, along with the undiagnosed Celiac, I also have osteoporosis. The past 6 months I've been off PPI's as I was (rightly) concerned about the possibility of osteoporosis, and have been using baking soda to control horrible flare ups (the ones that caused coughing spasms because of irritation) but I knew that I was having reflux WAY too much (at least 4-6 times a week). Going gluten-free after the Celiac diagnosis helped somewhat, but since going primal, I've not had ANY reflux... And I have had it since I was 10 years old.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Thanks to both of you for your kind words, yeah it does suck that I found this stuff out too late to help my Dad, but knowing what a stubborn bugger he was, I doubt he would have listened anyway.

mcc0523, I'm glad you've found out about these issues at a young age. It makes it far more likely that you can reverse the damage. Are you taking vitamin D? It's the best thing you can do to help your body assimilate calcium correctly. It's far more useful in fact to take vitamin D than it is to take a calcium supplement.

LJH, what happened to your Ma happened to my Dad's brother. He had to have his eosophagus shortened after they discovered cancer in it. Unfortunately for him it was discovered too late and he went the same way as Dad, same age too. This family history has me take this issue very seriously as I'm sure you can imagine. I'm so glad that I discovered this way of eating and have hopefully saved myself from the same fate.

john_e_turner_ii is online now Senior Member
    This is one of the biggest changes and improvements in my life due to PB. I took Pepcid AC 4-5 times per week on my old diet. In the past year since going PB, I have taken it twice. The carbs, bread, grains, whatever, really do a number on your stomach. It's not the salsa or spicy foods after all.

mcc0523 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    mcc0523, I'm glad you've found out about these issues at a young age. It makes it far more likely that you can reverse the damage. Are you taking vitamin D? It's the best thing you can do to help your body assimilate calcium correctly. It's far more useful in fact to take vitamin D than it is to take a calcium supplement.
    Yes, after I was dx'ed, my MD prescribed me the 50,000 IU dose of Vit D, 2x's a week... he also prescribed me calcitonin, an artifically created parathyroid hormone from salmon that is SUPPOSED to increase calcium absorption into bones, but I'm wary at what cost to my body, so I haven't taken it. If I'm offered phosphates (fosomax or Actonel for example), I'll vehemently refuse those, because they really don't build new bones... it just prevents osteoblasts from absorbing old bones, so after 5 years or so, the bones are even worse off than before, and the risk of long bone fractures after that long is GREATLY increased.

I've been making sure to get plenty of magnesium, as I know that is also more important and useful than calcium.

olivetree is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    This is one of the biggest changes and improvements in my life due to PB. I took Pepcid AC 4-5 times per week on my old diet. In the past year since going PB, I have taken it twice. The carbs, bread, grains, whatever, really do a number on your stomach. It's not the salsa or spicy foods after all.
    I completely agree about the spicy food and salsa..I'm still dumping a ton of hot peppers and tabasco on everything, yet the only time I've had heartburn since I started primal was when I allowed myself to be pressured into eating a slice of birthday cake.

Cassandra is offline Senior Member
    Sugar is a big culprit in reflux with me. I was really surprised about that. I thought it was only the grains/processed foods.

primaltreehgr is offline Senior Member
    i always seemed to have gurgle belly eating low fat and higher carb (not too high). i do think it was all the extra fiber in the grains. now that i am getting only the incidental fiber in veggies/fruit i have had ZERO gurgle belly. . . my husband laughed at me because the other day i said, "hey babe i only tooted ONCE today!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast