Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oatmeal VS Quinoa Flakes page

m e g a n foxy is offline Senior Member

Oatmeal VS Quinoa Flakes

Shop Now
    If one had to choose between the two, which would be the least harmful? And why? Curious because when I used to be a heavy oatmeal eater I weighed less, stomach was flatter/less boated etc...I kept everything Primal besides the oatmeal but now I have cut it out and am not as lean as in the past. I heard Quinoa flakes can be made to be like oatmeal and have a higher carb content much like oatmeal as well. I thought maybe it would be a better choice, but heard something and saponins in Quinoa?
    && It's not just about living well, it's about dying well.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    no clue. i'm grain free.

Thank you for that insightful response. I am grain free at the moment as well, but have been reading about quinoa and how it is not a grain but a seed, and was asking this community whether adding it in would be detrimental. Some of you seem so self-righteous and arrogant it's a wonder you're even here. I was just curious about a subject, that doesn't mean i'm not grain free, so you can back off with you're little comment that was absolutely unhelpful. This forum is here to be helpful and to provide discussions, if you aren't going to do that then go somewhere else.

frances is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m e g a n foxy View Post
    Thank you for that insightful response. I am grain free at the moment as well, but have been reading about quinoa and how it is not a grain but a seed, and was asking this community whether adding it in would be detrimental. Some of you seem so self-righteous and arrogant it's a wonder you're even here. I was just curious about a subject, that doesn't mean i'm not grain free, so you can back off with you're little comment that was absolutely unhelpful. This forum is here to be helpful and to provide discussions, if you aren't going to do that then go somewhere else.
    You know, I wrote out a response to this, and then reconsidered your response to Zoebird, which was pretty rude. The quinoa question has already been addressed by Mark. Look it up.

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    Quinoa contains anti-nutrient saponins and must be rinsed before eating, which is not very attractive to me. Plant anti-nutrients are there for a reason. But eating it in small amounts a few times a month along with fat won't destroy your health, but quinoa is fairly high in carbs, and I am not sure how it affects blood sugar.

Oats are quite cross-contaminated with wheat, and oats raise blood sugar a little too high in most people.

I am grain free, and the only grain I'd ever recommend is small portions of white rice once in a while.

However, to answer your question, if I absolutely had to pick between the two, I'd pick quinoa.

Perhaps the reason why you stayed leaner eating oats was the fiber, but fiber isn't so great for the GI system in the long run.
    Last edited by Suzan; 02-26-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Thank you Suzan, I appreciate the response. Maybe the fiber is the issue. Frances, I saw zoebird's post as rude, an assumption that I am not grain free. So take it as you will.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Megan as an experiment you could eat oats for a week or so and see how you feel. If no issues introduce permanently back into your diet. I'm not sure how cutting oatmeal out of your diet has made you less leaner then when you were a heavy oatmeal eater. Could be a number of reasons you are less leaner now.
    Last edited by Sue; 02-26-2011 at 04:36 PM.

ok, foremost, i was not being rude or arrogant, but your response was.

to me, the answer to your question -- as you phrased it -- it seems self evident.

If quinoa is a grain, and oatmeal is a grain, why would "one" choose to eat either one at all -- particularly if they are following the PB and believe the evidence that being grain free is important?

thus, the question is irrelevant. asking the question is akin to trolling "hey, which pastry flour is better? french number 5 or regular whole wheat?" well, yeah, i could answer the baking differences of using 5 vs WW, but honestly, what is the point? I'm grain free -- so it doesn't matter to me.

If quinoa is a seed, and you are convinced of that, then it would obviously be the better choice over oatmeal, since oatmeal is a grain. would it not have been better to posit the question as "I have been researching quinoa, and there is some evidence that it is a seed, not a grain. If it is a seed, do you think it fits within the PB? and if so, how much? and are quinoa flakes similar to oatmeal? do they cook and taste the same? anyone have any information or experience?"

but you didn't ask that. and then you got ticky when the question that you *didn't ask* didn't get answered.

bad form, megan foxy, bad form.

oh, and the whole "i've kept everything primal except the oatmeal" essentially screams "i'm really not that primal. i still eat grains!" because, oatmeal is a grain.

obviously, you said you've "given it up" and now you're not as awesome looking as before. perhaps the reason is not related to oatmeal, or quinoa flakes.

and oh, if i were to choose between Steel Cut Irish Oats soaked overnight, properly rinsed and boiled, then served with butter, cream, blue berries, and walnuts over "quinoa flakes" which sounds like extruded cardboard garbage, then i would choose oatmeal.

but since i'm grain free, i choose neither.
    Last edited by zoebird; 02-26-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Assuming something is better than something else because the one thing is botanically classified as a seed and the other as a grain is a bit of an assumption. I don't think zoebirds comment was rude, it was just pointless. If you don't have anything serious to contribute, don't post...
    Megan, there are no compounds in oats that would make it superior to meat/veggies. It might be the case that you were eating less calories when you were eating oats which had the effect (new food is tastier? You're eating a tub of yoghurt instead? Dunno).
    But yeah, how long have you been off the oats? I would consider it unlikely that such a change in breakfast would cause visible fat gain in less than a few weeks. It could also be attributed to changes in activity/exercise or increased stress causing fat accumulation.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast