Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kettlebell Noob page

Prime is offline Senior Member

Kettlebell Noob

Primal Fuel
    A local "functional fitness" gym has group kettlebell classes several times per week. I scheduled a one-on-one session for Tuesday to see if it's something I can get into.

Any experienced kettlebell-ers also doing PB? I'm pretty intimidated! I need a full body LHT workout, but I don't want push-till-you-puke intensity. I'm excited and anxious for Tuesday...

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    I LOVE kettlebells. They're very kick-ass! Definitely big bang for your buck.

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Well, first of all you are definitely doing the right thing to get a little one on one before getting started. You definitely want to have the basic movements down before you get into it.

That said, Kettlebells rock. As for how well they go with PB - Mark actually recommends them in a couple of places (usually in some pursuit of *lift heavy things*). I use mine mostly for conditioning these days because I don't have (and can't afford) heavier bells to get back into strength work with them, but I use them every week.

Chime in after your one on one and let us know how it went.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I am new to KBs myself, but so far I am really enjoying it. The only thing I am doing is the swing, a la "The Four-Hour Body," but I'm planning on branching out because I like it so much.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    I'm a big fan. Today did very simple 12+ minute workout, 200 snatches (10 rounds of 20, this takes me about 45 secs) with 30 secs rest between each. Toast but not burnt ie puking.

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    Prime,
    being in the Northern Virginia area, I'm curious what your functional fitness gym is. I've been using kettlebells for over 2 years but would be curious to get some lessons on a different style of lifting, currently doing Hard Style but want to try Girevoy Sport.
    Jeff

Prime is offline Senior Member
    Just one more day, I'm so stoked. I'll post back about the session.

Jeff, the gym is Underground Athlete in Fairfax. I believe the kettlebell classes are taught by Justin Case of Giryafit. I'm guessing you like the kettlebells since you've been using them for so long! I really hope I enjoy it and can stick with it in the long run.

http://undergroundathlete.com/
    http://www.giryafit.com/index.html

Florida Boy is offline Junior Member
    KB’s are so much fun. I’ve been into them for about 2 years. The “Turkish Get-Up” is a wonderful full body workout. Click Here for some great KB videos. In my opinion, people should get 2 KB’s to start, one you can “swing” comfortably, and the next weight up. KB swings will kick your ASS! Have Fun.

MichaelScott is offline Junior Member
    I own 14 Kettlebells or various sizes. They are amazing tools for strength, balance, and fat loss. I looked at the site you linked and the trainers have great technique and come from a known KB school so you should be in good hands. Let us know how it goes!

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I saw an article on yahoo about kettlebells that I can't find again. It had 5 basic moves where you don't risk slamming your wrist with or throwing the thing out the window.

What are 5 basic kickass moves I could use? I like the swing, Clean and Press, and goblet squats (I think). What else??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast