Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Parents - How do you do it? page 2

Chunster495 is offline Member

Primal Fuel

I don't stress too much about getting my kids (2 and 5) completely primal just yet. Especially for my 2 year old. He's an incredibly picky eater and we have a difficult enough time trying to get him to eat non primal foods,... his diet consists of grains, dairy from yogurt and milk, but not too much sugar. As for my 5 year old, she eats pretty much what we eat, unless I make something too spicy, then I'll make her something else... and with some of the dishes, she likes rice,...i guess it's the asian in her.. i don't mind giving her a bit of rice here and there. And I do let her indulge in a grill cheese or mac and cheese once in a while. I don't over indulge her and just let her eat whatever,... but present a couple of good choices for her so that she can begin to start making smart choices in food. I think it's a process, and she'll make her choices as she gets older... I think all we can do as parents are to educate them as much as we can so that they can make their own smart choices as they mature... forcing our kids to eat one way or another, may just backfire later in their life to just rebel and resent the foods or the lifestyle later that wasn't their choice to make,...and that would not be something I'd want in the long run.

Chunster495 is offline Member

oh but as for the once in a while treats,.. my wife only bakes grain free, gluten free stuff,.. and they seem to love it,.. mostly from elana's pantry recipes.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

I have two kids as well. Son - turning 10 in January, and daughter 8.

We've been very fortunate with our son as we've always made him try one bite of everything we were eating. Now that he's older he will eat absolutely anything we put in front of him.

Our daughter, that is a different story. She has a rare metabolic disorder where she is deficient in the enzyme that is responsible for breaking down long-chain fats. So her meals are a little harder to 'primalize'. But luckily enough she will eat whatever fruit/veg we give her. She eats a lot of non-fat/low-fat stuff much to our dismay but I've been hounding her dietician for some much needed alternative dietary planning after reading PB. On a good note, she's been utilizing MCT in her diet since her condition presented so that's gotta count for something.

Our kids are the ones as school sipping on their water while the other kids are drinking sugary juice. It's hard sometimes for them because they get teased about their lunches because they are so 'different' from theirs. And by different I mean they don't bring hot dogs, pogos, pizza, and lunchables to school - yeck! They are lucky enough to get a home cooked meal almost every day courtesy of my wife. Some kids do look on with some envy though

Don't even get me started on what some kids bring to school for their lunches!

I grok, therefore I am.

Marie Guest

Primal Child, will you clarify:

"I'm not a parent yet but when I do become one I will definitely do my best to raise my kids in a Primal if not Paleo way."

I am under the impression that Primal is MDA... and Paleo is similar, but with an avoidance of fat, especially saturated fat.

maba is offline Senior Member

I'm not a parent yet but I've wondered about this myself. I would love to raise my kids primal. But I find it difficult as it is with a non-primal spouse. And the culture I come from equates eating meat, especially on a daily basis, with gluttony. It's going to be a struggle, particularly when my vegetarian in-laws try to enforce all their views. But I guess I'll cross the bridge once I reach it.

Tarlach is offline Member

[quote]

I am under the impression that Primal is MDA... and Paleo is similar, but with an avoidance of fat, especially saturated fat. </blockquote>

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...leo-and-Primal
    The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

I sacrifice sleep for working out and vice versa. It sucks. But I say take one thing and work with it, then add another &#39;change&#39;. It&#39;s a shift.

I try to make extra dinners so that I can eat the leftovers for lunch.

I get as many Primal things as I can for my kids&#39; lunch and then try to still bake them yummy Primal treats.

poundcake Guest

I love this thread and love hearing how other primal parents are managing. I have two daughters, 7 and 10, and a husband. I eat totally primal (well, 85%, I&#39;d say) so I cook primally, and shop that way for the most part. My 10 year old is sitting next to me this minute chowing down on some uncured applewood smoked bacon and fried eggs and thinks she&#39;s the luckiest kid on earth. Sure beats pop-tarts. I&#39;ve tried to teach my girls the basics to why we eat this way but I haven&#39;t forbidden any food, as I think that would be the surest way to increase their cravings and begging for things. The girls and my husband eat icecream about once a week and it drives me nuts. But they&#39;ve also really grown to love coconut milk over fresh berries.

I put leftover meat from dinner, raw veggies, a piece of fruit and some cheese in their lunches. For snacks I give them beef jerky, nuts, more fruit. They eat more fruit than I&#39;d like but its better than goldfish or doritos.

They beg for bread from time to time so when we go out to dinner they love to get pizza or burgers and I don&#39;t fight them on that. We don&#39;t go out that often. The funniest thing is that they see how crazy the CW is in the educational programs at school. My daughter thinks its crazy that there is a poster in the lunchroom that says eat plenty of grains.

As for sleep and exercise, my kids are old enough that that isn&#39;t an issue. I can workout when they are at school or take them with me and they are pretty good, and we all really value our sleep so it is all quiet in our house by 9:00. Oh, the other thing I did about a year ago is kill the television, so they aren&#39;t tempted towards an unhealthy lifestyle by commercials on tv.

poundcake Guest

Oh, I just remembered a major frustration this week with being a primal parent (or even just a health-conscious one). My kids&#39; school had a fundraiser at McDonalds. A McTakeover. It&#39;s where the school takes over mcdonalds for the evening, the teachers work behind the counter and the whole school shows up for dinner. The school gets 40% of the profit or something like that. Absolutely drives me crazy that they would do this. So the head of our parents club asked if I was going and I said I wasn&#39;t planning on it but she pressured me and made me feel like I wasn&#39;t supporting the cause so I went and brought one of my daughters. She ate a happy meal, I passed and went home and had a juicy grass-fed t-bone. I really wish I had stood my ground and not gone. Why don&#39;t they just sell cigarettes instead? Would be less addictive probably.

Rebecca Guest

Poundcake- totally agree with you. Our preschool (full day) offers "Special Lunch" week (otherwise you pack your own) where parents can pay 15$ to have take-out lunches all week. My 5 yr old says "I like my dino nuggets better" which is great the twins don&#39;t know any better yet but I am totally dreading when they head off to school.

I am trying to keep things reasonable when comes to the transition. I do agree that I don&#39;t want to make a huge deal out of food choices/control. I teach and I work with a population of kids who have psychological, emotional and learning disabilities... I want healthy kids, all around. I&#39;ve seen how some kids react to inflexible boundaries; it&#39;s not always pretty. And they will forever be confronted with CW and unhealthy choices - they need to be good decision-makers and feel like they are choosing a primal lifestyle as adults because they FEEL good, the are HEALTHY and because it&#39;s not an edict from their crazy parents.

Thanks for the good ideas... I&#39;ll keep on fighting the primal fight!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast