Thread: Still trying to get the hang of this... page

jloman730 is offline Junior Member

Still trying to get the hang of this...

Shop Now
    I'm still kind of new to living primal (about 3 months) and I have less than optimal conditions- I'm on a college meal plan. I have a couple of questions...
    1. The only meat available is not grass-fed or pastured. Does this mean I should take off the fat and get lean cuts when I can to avoid toxins? The only problem with that is that my fat sources are pretty limited as well... eggs in the morning, half and half, olive oil on my salads.. and I know if I don't get enough fat I get really hungry.

2. I usually don't eat after dinner around 7pm or so, and eat breakfast around 9 am. Does this ~14 hours count as IF?

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I would count the 14 hours as IF, yes. I do 16 hours and that is probably close enough.
    Can you eat more eggs and possibly buy some sort of fat supplement (I use FA3 and Flameout from biotest) that you can keep in your room? It might be a bit pricey for a college student, but you would at least feel better about the amount of fat you are getting.

ZocBarefoot is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jloman730 View Post
    I'm still kind of new to living primal (about 3 months) and I have less than optimal conditions- I'm on a college meal plan. I have a couple of questions...
    1. The only meat available is not grass-fed or pastured. Does this mean I should take off the fat and get lean cuts when I can to avoid toxins? The only problem with that is that my fat sources are pretty limited as well... eggs in the morning, half and half, olive oil on my salads.. and I know if I don't get enough fat I get really hungry.

2. I usually don't eat after dinner around 7pm or so, and eat breakfast around 9 am. Does this ~14 hours count as IF?
    It does count, but I prefer an 8 or less hour eating window. Preferably 4-6 IMO.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    You could either cut off the fat and supplement with the fat supplements suggested... or you could just eat the fat when it does occur (and I haven't really found excess fat on non-grass-fed meat I buy, but I suppose that depends on the cut) and supplement with omega-3. Or you could buy lean cuts and make sure to cook in quality fats like coconut oil, ghee, etc., to feel satiated. And a lot of people use coconut products for fat to feel satiated.

Whether the toxins from the meat will harm you depends on whether you have any health problems/how sensitive you are to toxins. But I'm pretty sure a lot of people on this board eat non-grass-fed/pastured meat and do fine.

Thanks for the help! I'm working on cutting down my eating window, but I don't want to sacrifice the social nature of eating in college so I'm taking it easy for now. I don't have any intolerances or health issues and I'm eating much better now than before, so I'll probably be ok... I appreciate the suggestions for supplements though! It's definitely hard to afford that kind of stuff on a college student's budget. I can't cook my own meals at all right now but next year I will surely be using good fats when I have my own kitchen!

I'm also wondering, in regards to the meat offered, how bad are dining hall "sausages" and "sausage patties"? I feel like there might be hidden sugar in them...
    Also, the bacon looks suspect (very thin and floppy) but sometimes it's the only meat source at breakfast.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    they likely have a gluten or soy filler (if not both) and likely also have MSG. you can ask, though, about that. the cafeterias are supposed to provide nutritional information.

i would also avoid the bacon, because you never know about nitrates and other things (also msg, sugar, whatever). so, yeah.

but otherwise, eat as much as you want, don't worry if your eating window is larger than 8 hrs (mine is, and i tend to IF 12-14 hrs myself between dinner and breakfast), and just eat as well as you can for now.

when you have more control, you'll eat differently. it's ok. you're just doing what you can with wht you have now.