Thread: Newbie - I'm so full page

g2baker is offline Member

Shop Now

I just started the Primal Diet two days ago. Previously I was dieting be eating less. That wasn't working. The problem that I'm experiencing is that I'm finding really difficult to eat the 2000-ish calories. It just hurts my stomach. So I thought to myself, "eat high caloric foods." I found myself relying on high calorie dairy products. However, when I went onto www.fitday.com I was shocked that almost 50% of all my calories are from fat (50gm carbs, 96 protein, 1100 calories - this seems out of balance). I don't think I can eat any that much to fulfill my needs. I'm so full! I'm 192 lbs, so does that mean I need 192 gms of protein or half that? Is there a good list of high protein foods that are not so filling? Thank in advance for your help time in answering this post! G2

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Key point to eating primally, eat when hungry. There's no more "eat every 2 hours" or "I should probably eat now", eat when your hungry. You definitely don't need to be forcing yourself to eat or eating until pain. Eat when hungry and until satisfied.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Griff is offline Senior Member

No no no... eat high amounts of FAT, moderate amounts of protein, and minimal amounts of carbs. Right now the ratio I'm shooting for is 85% fat, 15% protein, and trace carbs. It works.

Also, eat only until you're satisfied. You may not need 2000 calories. You will often feel satiated far before you think you should - that's normal. Some days I only eat 1400 calories, but I never have the horrible hunger pangs I used to get when I was eating the SDA (Standard American Diet). According to thedailyplate.com, I should be eating about 4,000 calories to maintain my weight and about 2800 calories to lose 3 pounds per week. I rarely make that number. Usually I'm below it.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

meatman is offline Junior Member

Protein intake would be scaled according to the amount of weight training you partake in.

None at all is usually aroun 0.5-0.7gm/lb

Intense training..1-1.5 gm/lb

Also, higher protein requirements are important for leaner individuals, where muscle preservation is important (cases where oen is trying to go from 10% bf to like 6% or lower)

Else don't worry

groquette is offline Senior Member

Remember that for the 2500 kcal (or whatever) your body needs, you may actually be getting a large portion of those from stored fuel sources.

Thankfully the human body has a very clear signaling system (a.k.a. hunger) to help you regulate fuel intake to make up for the difference

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

The wide range of protein needs is based on Lean Body Mass, not body weight. No need to feed the adipose!

To find your LBM, just google that with the word calculator and you'll get a lot of hits.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

@meatman

I am not sure that the ranges you have given are good. Basically a sedentry individual will need more protein to protect his muscles, than an athelete. Because the body understands that it needs the muscles. You need more protein only when you are building muscles. Which is fairly early in the program. You won't build muscles after a few of months of strength training. Basically only till you can increase the weights you can lift every time. After that it is sustaining which needs much smaller protein intake.

Also protein intake of 1.5gm/pound is way too high, even if you are considering only LBM. I think 1gm/pound is the limit, that you should reach. .7gm/pound should be good enough for most.

This does not apply to body builders. They build too much muscles and have to maintain it unnaturally.

g2baker is offline Member

Thank you everyone, looks like based on my LBM I need 60 gms of protein. I've been running and lifting weights for over a year so I'm pretty active (but I'm always in pain). I'll target around 60 at least. I was thinking that 80% of your calories should come from protein. That would be too much.

70 - 80% of your calories as fat will greatly reduce your hunger pangs, which is what a lot of new Primal folks experience. When you eat a lot of fat with adequate protein, you will not be so hungry.