Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vinegar? page

Balance is offline Senior Member

Vinegar?

Is it paleo/primal approved? I use it when I make bone broths and in certain marinades. But if it is on the no-no list I will remove it. I hear a lot of people use apple cider vinegar. Why use that as opposed to conventional distilled vinegar? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    ACV has a miriad of supposed health benefits when you buy the unpasteurised stuff. I use it cos I like it.

As to whether it's approved, I'm fairly certain it is. You actually need it to make your bone broths, as you probably know, in order to extract all the good stuff from the bones.

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    I would say yes it's fine.

If you get ACV I would choose Bragg's.

"Certified Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is unfiltered, unheated, unpasteurized and 5% acidity. Contains the amazing Mother of Vinegar which occurs naturally as strand-like enzymes of connected protein molecules."

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    If you want a really good tasting balsamic vinegar. Kühne Condimento Balsamico Bianco is fabulous. Just grape must and white wine vinegar. No added sugar, carmel colour etc.

http://www.kuehne.de/en/Product_Worl...00ml/index.php

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the feedback NourishedEm and O_O. I will look into the ACV. Much appreciated!
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Most white Vin is made from grains. You don't have to use vin for broth but it sure helps. Be sure balsamic only has must and Vinegar.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Any vinegar without added sugar is fine (which really just rules out cheaper balsamic vinegars and that "seasoned" rice vinegar that's used for sushi). Oh, and malt vinegar has some gluten because of the barley, so I guess that's out.

I don't mind if my vinegar was made from grains, like rice vinegar - by the time the rice is made into wine and the wine is made into vinegar, nothing harmful is in there anymore. I thought about it, but choosing not to use it just because there were grains involved would seem more like a religion/belief system than science-based eating, which creeps me out.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Its more that they (standard. White. Vinegar especially store brands) are hyper- processed but tis hard to make clarifications while I'm typing on this Terrible phone keyboard lol.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Hyper-processing is not necessarily a bad thing. "Standard" vinegar is probably from grain, distilled, and then diluted down to 5%. In this case, the distilling is actually beneficial because it dissociates the final product (acetic acid, which the body does use for some functions) from its source (grains, which we do not like).

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mark had a post on making your own wine vinegar not that long ago. Excellent post and there was lots of good info in the comments, too. I'd go look at that.

Distilled white vinegar is great for green cleaning. I wouldn't eat it. I'm sure it is from some industrial GMO corn waste or such. Watch out for store-bought vinegars in general. Often you'll get distilled white vinegar flavored and colored and labeled "wine" or "cider", etc. Hold out for the real thing.

At the Asian market, you will find cane juice vinegar, coconut vinegar and others in addition to rice vinegar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast