Thread: What about sleeping the right way? page

James17 Guest

Shop Now

The recent post regarding chairs and sitting got me thinking. Spending hours bent over like that is bad, so sleeping while curled up in a ball or with your shoulders rounded should be bad too, right? Any ideas about this? I'd hate to think that I'm doing 8 hours of damage every night...

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

It's an interesting question. I think problems will spring more from what we sleep on than in what position we sleep. You may be curled up in a ball but you're not being defeated by gravity as you would be slouched in a chair.

Actually I believe we sleep better when we're in close proximity to familiar, trusted people. I think that since we don't function so well in the dark, we've evolved to be afraid of the dark; nervous, easily startled, prone to troubling thoughts. The presence of family, friends and loved ones can be very soothing. When I sleep with my S.O. I can sleep straight through the night, but when I sleep alone I usually wake up once or twice.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

I'm with you, Primal.

Even though my BF is terrible covers-hog...I always enjoy the best of sleep when he's with me.

He also insists on sleeping on the side of the bed nearest the door, to protect me :-D

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I hate sleeping alone. Been doing it for 3 years now. *sigh* You're right- you do sleep better with company- unless they snore loudly.

suzyschnitz is offline Junior Member

DOH. I have a snorer, who is also an elbower, kicker, butter, and bed hogger.

But I get all the covers, if I want.

A better sleeping situation for this grokette would be a bigger bed. I don't care at this point if my shoulders are rounded over. I just need more space!

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

There's actually a study out there and the premise is we can only sleep on our backs when we are extremely comfortable with our surroundings.

The study says that we sleep on our side, on our stomach, or curled up in a ball to protect our vital organs from lurking predators. Apparenty this behavior is quite prevalent in all animals, including us. Only when we trust our surroundings 100% can we effectively sleep on our back and stay there.

Try it out! I have and it's tough to stay sleeping on your back throughout the night.

I grok, therefore I am.

groquette is offline Senior Member

[quote]

my BF is terrible covers-hog...</blockquote>

My S.O. and I purchased two twin-sized coverlets, and we both sleep much better now.

As for sleeping position, I&#39;ve earned the nickname "propeller". I could probably power our whole neighborhood.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

That is true for me, too, Lovestoclimb. I can get drowsy as heck laying on my back but just can&#39;t make the transition into unconsciousness unless I&#39;m completely exhausted.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Tarlach is offline Member

Here&#39;s some sleeping info that I just saw posted elsewhere:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1119282

Seems that sleeping on your back is not very natural?

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

PrimalCon New York

Love that first paragraph!

Thanks Tarlach, off for a read...and maybe a nap!

Incidently, I&#39;m more comfortable alone, on my back, without pillows, but usually end up tightly curled and buried in amongst the bedding with my nose peeking out!