Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calorie Counter In PB Recovery page

claystermcgill is offline Junior Member

Question Calorie Counter In PB Recovery

The post title is somewhat a joke, but I would like a bit of help or advice here.

I've been on quite the journey over the past year and 3 months - losing 65 lbs. and being the the best shape I've ever been in! Yet, most of the weight came off due to calorie counting/restricting (via the LoseIt! app on my iPod Touch).

I still use the app to keep track of my calories somewhat, but mainly to track my carb intake.

I just started transitioning into PB about 2 weeks ago (I didn't have to give up much in order to follow the plan as I ate very clean otherwise), but I still have some foods that I eat that are not primal (such as cottage cheese, cream cheese, and peanut butter every now and then). I've seen amazing results just within the past 2 weeks in terms of body composition. I haven't weighed myself too often because I'm not a huge worrier about how much I weigh - I just want my looks to be pleasing to myself.

I've toyed around with IF and I must say, I can see myself doing it more often, but I would like to transition into it. I'm not looking for another yo-yo diet, I'm looking for a lifestyle. So far PB seems VERY doable to me, and I love the selection of food (especially with these awesome forums full of yummy recipes).

I know this isn't about "weight loss" (I read the forum thread) but I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to how to transition out of the calorie counting madness and into a relaxed state of intuitive eating. I have 10 lbs. left to go until I reach my goal. Yes, I also read the 17 reasons post, as well as the healthy homeostasis post - and I do agree, but I also like a challenge!

Any advice offered is much appreciated and I will definitely consider it valuable. I'm looking to stop the compulsive counting and relax and let my metabolism do its magic! I know (just from over a year of counting) about how much each food has of macros, I just don't know how to stop adding the numbers in my head.

Help a brotha out!

P.S. If you guys help me drop these last 10 lbs., I promise I'll post before and after pics in the success stories thread!

P.S.S. I don't need so much help on the workout end of the spectrum - I've got a good grip on that, although I can post it if it helps, as well.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

For me, the thing that helped me relax and stop counting everything was getting into a routine. I eat lunch out a lot, so I found 3 places that had good items that I could eat freely, and I ate at those places a LOT. I also have the luxury of living with only 1 other person, who's also mostly primal, so there isn't much of anything in the house that's so "bad" I need to count to see if I can have it.

The other thing is that sometimes it just takes time. Once you get to a good size & shape (screw the scale, listen to your pants!) and stabilize there for about a year or two, you'll be fine. At some point you will be able to let go of that nagging voice that says "What if..." because you can answer "Hasn't happened yet, I think we're good."

Good luck! Let us know how you do.

Thanks DianeThePurple!

Honestly, I don't know why I fret too much...I eat very, very, very clean. But I also know the whole principle of calories in, calories out, yada yada.

I have gained weight on clean foods before though, so that's why I want to be careful, I suppose. It's a hard balance between finding that perfect intuition spot of not eating too much that I won't shed these last 10 lbs, and not eating too little to where I slow my metabolism and risk losing my hard earned muscle mass.

Primalvore is offline Senior Member
    Clayster -

First of all, let me say that I really respect the fact that you went through all of the information and have a clear grasp about what this lifestyle is about. It makes it a lot easier for people to help when they don't have to weed through "newbie" questions that could easily be answered from reading the Primal Blueprint 101. And also, CONGRATS on all of your success so far and for making this leap - it's a great choice

My first piece of advice - ditch the peanut butter and go to almond butter. If you have a Trader Joe's in your area, you can get a jar for the same price as a jar of PB. It's 100x more delicious (this coming from a former PB addict...seriously. Addict).

As far as Cream Cheese and Cottage Cheese goes, those are things that I wouldn't necessarily consider "not Primal", but there are probably better subs you could make there as well. Personally, I don't necessarily have an issue with Cottage Cheese, but Greek Yogurt has an even higher protein content if you're going for the best bang-for-your-buck. That or organic (raw, if possible) sour cream and other dairy is great in moderation. If you're looking to lose the last 10 lbs and having a difficult time doing so, cutting dairy might be something you'll have to look into as time progresses.

As far as IF is concerned, I transitioned from toying with IF to scheduling 24 hour IF days to IFing everyday a-la-Leangains.com (16 hour fast, 8 hour feeding window. Go to Leangains.com or theleansaloon.com to learn more about daily IFing. Mark Sisson and others like to IF naturally - they occasionally miss breakfast or a meal unplanned. If you want to plan your fasts, which is also ok, I'd suggest you schedule one or two days per week for at least a few weeks or so where you fast for 16-24 hours (ie, fast from the end of dinner on Tues to right before dinner on Wed). If you can handle that well and have no health issues, certainly look into daily fasting if it interests you! It's also important to note that many feel like the best idea is probably to get your body acclimated to this new diet for a couple weeks/months before you really delve into fasting.

Ugh, and as far as calorie counting goes - I'm sorry I can't help you here . I too am a compulsive calorie counter - it's just become a habit over time. Haha it's like you mentioned - it's a difficult type of knowledge to unlearn when you're looking at a piece of meat or something. Many people in this lifestyle simply eat to satiety and really develop a sense of listening to their body. Maybe one of them could hop on and give us both some pointers on how to let go of the control

Hope I helped you at least a tiny bit - just know that you're now part of a great community and feel free to keep on asking questions! Looking forward to your before and afters!

Erin

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

Thanks Erin! I am a HUGE fan of almond butter - both Trader Joe's raw and Whole Foods' 365 smooth...MMMMMMM!

The fasting info you provided helps a lot. I've actually already done 2 smaller IF bouts this week to try it out and I'm planning on doing one on Saturday as well. I just want to make sure I'm taking in a proper amount of calories as to not slow my metabolism down.

Last summer I got to the same place - those last 10 lbs - and couldn't get past a plateau (I wasn't eating primal, working out as intensely, and knew nothing about IF) mainly because I believe I was working outt too hard on too few calories - e.g. working out for 1.5 hours 5 to 6 times a week while only taking in 1500 calories. I bumped my weight back up as my calories went up to a healthy level other the fall season and used it as an opportunity to put on some muscle mass (e.g. clean bulking) - I put on about 4 to 5 lbs of muscle!

Now I'm starting to bust through these last 10 lbs. but any pointers help, so thanks!

P.S. I'm a research geek - which kind of contributes to my lack of consistency sometimes, especially with nutrition stuff. But now that I've found PB, I'm sticking to it! With to 80/20 principle in mind of course...haha!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Read Why We Get Fat and you won't worry about calories in/out anymore. It's really helped me to see that keeping my carbs down is my key to fat loss. It's all about insulin, baby!

I needed to drop all sugar in order to curb my carb cravings and be able to eat to satiety without overeating. Everyone is so different, so don't worry about what anyone else is doing--read the book and tinker until you find what works for you.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    I second the motion of dropping peanut butter. Peanuts are legumes, not nuts, and they're very different.

Primalvore is offline Senior Member
    It's nice to see another control freak on here hahaha. Unfortunately (or, rather, fortunately), I really do think it helps to have calorie counting in your back pocket when you're down to the last 10 lbs. That's where I am right now. As time goes on I'm realizing that to really get the weight off (and this is in no way to bum you out, I'm a chick with some hormonal problems) I have to eat even cleaner than I thought I did. So I just, for the most part, cut nuts and all dairy. It really isn't that bad. It's just a lot of trail and error. Just don't quit!

I have a blog where I chronicle my daily fasting/workouts/meals, and I have a couple really knowledgeable people commenting and helping me out. I'm hoping people can learn from my mistakes and eventually emulate the good things I'm doing.

So as just another little tidbit I'd definitely say start your own daily or weekly journal in the Journals section of the forum, if you haven't thought about it already. I have felt much more accountable to both myself and people reading it, which really keeps me on track.

And it sounds like you have your fitness down, but just FYI - there's a great thread on Primal Blueprint Fitness vs. Simple Strength, two really popular workout programs, in the Fitness section. Ok I'll shut up now

Oh and PS - since I've started fasting everyday, I take in more calories in 7 hours than I did in entire days prior to the switch. Just saying .

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

Another great tip! Thanks, Dragonfly. I do love a good book. Maybe I'll seek this one out this weekend (it's payday!)

I do eat very low sugar, eating the occasional fruit (mainly berries or grapefruit or a nice honey crisp apple), but I'm a Steviaholic. Haha.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by claystermcgill View Post
    Another great tip! Thanks, Dragonfly. I do love a good book. Maybe I'll seek this one out this weekend (it's payday!)

I do eat very low sugar, eating the occasional fruit (mainly berries or grapefruit or a nice honey crisp apple), but I'm a Steviaholic. Haha.
    You'll love the book!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast