Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustratingly little to eat page

Pezerinno is offline Senior Member

Frustratingly little to eat

Shop Now
    I'm having major problems finding foods I can eat without problems. If I consume any of the following foods I will break out in a day or two. Major acne over face, scalp, chest and back to the point of being painful if I continue eating these foods:

Milk
    Eggs
    Cheese
    Olive oil
    Animal fat
    Nuts

Now you can see the problem I have with primal eating especially considering sugar and grains don't seem to exacerbate my acne. I can't afford organic produce however I have tried going organic on everything apart from the meat (animal fat) and it didn't seem to make a difference.

What can I do?

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried grassfed meats? I wonder if the grassfed would have the same effect on your skin as grain fed.

Are you taking any supplements? If not, you might want to research them and figure out what to take to get that systemic inflammation under control. Until you get that sorted, I would imagine you're just in a negative feedback cycle. (the ones that seem to help me most are fish oil/krill oil, vitamin D and B vitamins, but your mileage will most certainly vary as I've concluded that everyone needs their own "cocktail" and the only way to figure that out is to start playing around with the supplements.)

Until then, I'd get protein from fish as much as possible (yeah, you'll get sick to death of tuna, I'm sure, but I'd hazard a guess you might be able to tolerate some of the other stuff once you get the inflammation sorted.)

If I had to choose, I'd take grassfed/organic meat over organic veggies. And I didn't see where you live, but local produce is a good bet.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Can you eat lean meat? Also, do you know if you have any underlying health issues?
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    Also, do you know if you have any underlying health issues?
    That would be my concern also. Something else is going on there as it's extremely rare for anyone to be intolerant to animal fat, the rest are common allergens though.

Have you tried organic grass fed meat?
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    This might be a dumb question and I really am not trying to derail your thread, but are you absolutely sure it's the food you're eating that is affecting your skin two days later? That seems surprising to me. I ask because I got hives all over my body once and it took me weeks of eliminating various foods from my diet before I discovered it was actually some ingredient in a random body wash I recently bought.

And when you say animal fat, does that include fishes? White fish is very low in fat but even fatty fish like salmon might affect you differently than mammal or bird fat.

Pezerinno is offline Senior Member
    Well I have cancer at the moment but this has been going on for years. The fact that my acne goes away when I stop eating these foods obviously means there is a strong link. Lean meat is fine but without those foods I can't survive on primal - can't consume enough calories.

bix
    bix is offline Senior Member
    what about avocados and coconuts/coconut oil? they're very calorie dense (and delicious!)
    Last edited by bix; 02-25-2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: typo

theholla is offline Senior Member
    If the major problem is calories, I think you can make them up with coconut or avocado instead. Lean meat + coconut oil = fatty meat without the animal fat. And coconut milk smoothies are delicious, delicious calorie bombs.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Have you done a controlled elimination diet to make sure? Like eliminate all of them for several weeks, then add only one of those foods back for a few days. Wait a week or two before trying another one. Skin takes some time to respond. So if you've been adding things back too quickly, you may have some false positives.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    When you eliminate these foods, what are you eating? Are you sticking to primal and suffering or are you reverting to "normal" foods.

I ask because when I went primal I had horrendous breakouts for about a month and then they cleared up. Could it be actually a detox reaction? (Similar to how candidia growth can get WORSE after you go on a anti candida diet)

What about fish? Because it looks like the primary problem is finding a protein source you can eat. Tuna is ok, although mercury can be a concern, but sardines, wild salmon, etc.

Have you tried 30 days of lean meats, fish, fruits, veggies, and plentiful avocado and coconut oil.

As far as organic goes, try to hit the dirty dozen if possible and since you are not eating fatty meat, just look for some that at least say they dont use hormones and antibiotics if possible.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast