Thread: Stress + Carbs? page

Twibble is offline Senior Member

Stress + Carbs?

Shop Now
    Is there a nutritional reason people crave carbs when they're stressed?

Or is it all just comfort food from when we were little?
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I remember reading something about this. It's most definitely true. I think part of it is that carbs activate the pleasure centers of our brains, making us feel calm. Chocolate is especially effective for this.

There are other reasons. I simply cannot remember.

jenni is offline Member
    I don't know the answer, but I can tell you that I was feeling blah and irritated yesterday since it's that time of the month and I'm bored, a few pieces of chocolate really calmed me down. lol I was able to stop and put the rest of the bar away, but in the past I would have eaten the whole thing and looked for more.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Carbs slow your body down, like getting sleepy after a big italian meal...maybe it's just a psychological desire for the "slow down" effect? It would be interesting if it were somehow chemical too.

denise is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    hmmm. Like many questions, I don't know the answer - but I like that this made me think!

OK, for me I think there is a strong "pull" from associations with comfort. BUT as I still crave sugar/carbs when PMS strikes - and I now rationally and emotionally reject "sugar" as a duplicitous evil bastard of a substance that woos with the promise of comfort then delivers misery (glad I got that out of my system)..... I am left with the serotonin answer. It stimulates pleasure sensors. Chocolate is literally a drug, a mood enhancing drug.

So, I think my overall answer is - "both"