Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gut-Brain Obesity connection page

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

Gut-Brain Obesity connection

The gut-brain-obesity connection. i am starting to believe that weight gain and body problems have a crapload LESS to do with vitamins/minerals (theyre important but way ridicuously touted) or your fructose intake, or your omega ratio(this ones getting annoying) and EVERYTHING to do with the gut-brain connection.

Yes, I am a research FREAK and love learning about the mind… and I think I have come up with a relatively strong concept for obesity that starts with whats produced in your belly when you eat food. From there, the gut-brain connection and how it crosses the BBB seems to determine the outcome of cells via usage/storage/repair. Here goes, this may be over some peoples heads…

*A lack of bile production from eating results in cholesterol which cannot be absorbed and transported. In particular a acid called TUDCA(Tauroursodeoxycholic acid or TUDCA is an endogenous bile acid which inhibitsmitochondrial apoptosis) is incredibly important in the bile acids, and VERY correlated with leptin.

*TUDCA is also responsible for having post brain acid levels increase, meaning that what needed to cross the BBB did occur, like taurine for example, a very important nonessential amino. Cellular taurine is tightly regulated. Additionally, cysteine sulfinic acid decarboxylase catalyses the posterior and rate limiting step of taurine synthesis, so I'm not sure orally administered taurine would elicit the aforementioned effects of TUDCA in the downregulation of degenerative decline and/or neuronal apoptosis.

*TUDCA is correlated with butyric acid as well

*Eighty-six percent of significantly depressed individuals are deficient in taurine. This deficiency may become symptomatic in virtually any organ system, since taurine's major metabolic role is regulation of the electrical charge on cell membranes, a role synergistic with magnesium. Heart muscle and the retina contain the highest concentration of taurine. Overall, taurine drastically counteracts or down-regulates the body's stress reaction, helping stabilize carbohydrate metabolism, insulin levels and epinephrine levels and muscle tension.

Cell Metab. 2009 Jan 7;9(1):35-51. Links
    Endoplasmic reticulum stress plays a central role in development of leptin resistance.

Ozcan L, Ergin AS, Lu A, Chung J, Sarkar S, Nie D, Myers MG Jr, Ozcan U.
    Division of Endocrinology, Children's Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA.
    Leptin has not evolved as a therapeutic modality for the treatment of obesity due to the prevalence of leptin resistance in a majority of the obese population. Nevertheless, the molecular mechanisms of leptin resistance remain poorly understood. Here, we show that increased endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress and activation of the unfolded protein response (UPR) in the hypothalamus of obese mice inhibits leptin receptor signaling. The genetic imposition of reduced ER capacity in mice results in severe leptin resistance and leads to a significant augmentation of obesity on a high-fat diet. Moreover, we show that chemical chaperones, 4-phenyl butyric acid (PBA), and tauroursodeoxycholic acid (TUDCA), which have the ability to decrease ER stress, act as leptin-sensitizing agents. Taken together, our results may provide the basis for a novel treatment of obesity.
    PMID: 19117545 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

*Stomach acid, or lack thereof is the intial step in determining your body’s health both mentally and physically. If amino acids cant be delivered like they should then the result is pathological illness. The later result is weight gain, but once that occurs you’ve already done dealt with years of malfunction.

*Meat & eggs contain WHAT you need for cholesterol and stomach resorption, but if you don’t produce the bile/acid needed then it becomes a dead cell, which the end result is most likely fat storage(after insulin spikes b/c the body doesn’t have what it needs, hence high blood sugar)

So basically, I think that as long as one produces the amount of bile, stomach acid, and gut reactions they will be lean, they will be ‘mentally okay’ and the liver will communicate with the pancreas.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I got exactly none of that, can I just eat meat and veggies? Confirm/deny.

yea haha i was just providing a discussion that i thought of...

basically, you can eat primally whatever you want to provided your stomach is producing the initial acid/enzymes needed to use it. it seems to be the ROOT cause of all problems.

aktres is offline Senior Member
    And how would you know if you had enough acid/enzymes? And if you don't, how could they be improved?

you dont digest food well, bloat/diarrhea/constipation, acne, dry skin, baggy eyes, bad temps, burping, BS spikes

pretty much most 'ailments'

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    Betaine HCL, digestive enzymes are a start, if you know you don't have enough.
    One quick test to see if you have enough stomach acid:
    step 1) get heartburn (no I'm not kidding lol)
    step 2) take a shot of apple cider vinegar in some water
    step 3) access the reaction. If you're heartburn dissipates, not enough stomach acid. If it gets worse...oops. Don't do that again.
    Calm the f**k down.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metismomma View Post
    Betaine HCL, digestive enzymes are a start, if you know you don't have enough.
    One quick test to see if you have enough stomach acid:
    step 1) get heartburn (no I'm not kidding lol)
    step 2) take a shot of apple cider vinegar in some water
    step 3) access the reaction. If you're heartburn dissipates, not enough stomach acid. If it gets worse...oops. Don't do that again.
    I have no idea what I'd have to do to get heartburn. Lord knows I've eaten all sorts of things that seem to give other people heartburn yet I've never had it myself. I guess I'm lucky. Does that mean I have enough acid and enzymes?

sanepsycho is offline Senior Member
    After my mom had her gallbladder removed, she had lots of problems digesting fats, burped all the time, loose bowels, etc. Then again, she had tons of other health issues going on, too. Your 2nd post in the thread made me think about how no gallbladder = no (or less? does the liver produce bile too?) bile, and how that would work into all the info in your original post. And I wonder if people without a gallbladder would do well on primal.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    I have no idea what I'd have to do to get heartburn. Lord knows I've eaten all sorts of things that seem to give other people heartburn yet I've never had it myself. I guess I'm lucky. Does that mean I have enough acid and enzymes?
    Same here, never had heartburn that I can recall.

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by aktres View Post
    And how would you know if you had enough acid/enzymes? And if you don't, how could they be improved?
    You can do a Heidleburg test-which involves swallowing a pH meter on a string and drinking varying amounts of baking soda solution to see how quickly your pH drops again. It's the most absolute way to verify acidity. http://www.phcapsule.com/

Worth doing, because stomach cancer and all sorts of fungal issues come about from low acidity.

The vinegar test is pretty good, but not an absolute. My sis has confirmed low acid production BY the heidleburg test, alog with all the repercussions of it, but can't stand vinegar because of the heartburn.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast