Thread: Little kid workouts page

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member

Little kid workouts

Primal Fuel
    It's just my son and I at home these days, and he's decided that 'working out' with mom is quite a lot of fun.

He has his own 'weights' (water bottle filled with kittylitter) and 'kettlebells' (same thing, only a quart bottle with about 3 pounds in it and a handle).

He's a smallframed kid-weighs 35 pounds, and still fits into some 24 month size Tshirts-even though he's well over 4 years old. (We had some failure to thrive issues in the beginning-turns out severe maternal emotional stress during pregnancy does a number on the baby. For a good long time. Anyway)

Is there any reason to not let him do pushups, etc? He can't do very many, and they're 'girl' pushups-but with practice/time I'm sure he'll progress. What about burpees, situps, "pullups" (with mom spotting, of course)? We go for walks when it's nice out-he gets cold awfully easy, not much meat on his bones, and some lingering adrenal issues. He likes to play on my elliptical for 5-10 minutes at a stretch, stuff like that.

I have no intention of pushing him, but on the other hand, if he'd rather 'play' with my on this stuff, rather than watch his 1/2 hour of TV-and miss Dinosaur Train, at that!-I hate to discourage him. I'm of the tentative opinion that as long as I treat him like a colt-light work, and don't push, he'll not hurt anything-BUT I don't want to set him up for any issues later in life either.

Anyone have any caveats/info/good resources? I can't find much anywhere on line other than 'make sure they get outside to play'.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    If I remember right Zoebird’s kid “works out” with her, plays and imitates them and is quite strong for a toddler. I see nothing wrong with it as long as he’s just playing around and being a kid. You’re obviously not asking him to give you 3 sets of 10 or anything like that. I think your kid will be just fine.

Look at this little badass setting the world record in one of the hardest feats of strength ever, the 90 degree push-up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd_OS...eature=related

His father has caught a lot of shit, and I’m not sure how I feel about it personally, because little Giuliano never seems like he’s having fun with it.

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    My son is 7, and he likes to work out with me. He doesn't always stay with it very long, but I welcome him to join me for as long as he likes. I figure I'm setting a great example by having him see me take care of my body, and we talk about how exercise & fitness are important to being healthy. Sometimes as part of our "workouts" we set up little obstacle courses and we also do follow the leader or Simon says with active things. I guess this counts as part of my "play."

Holy crap. I'm going with stage parent. I see no joy, no smiles, nothing. Yes, it's impressive, but at what cost? I wonder what will happen to him when he hits puberty-I would imagine with the increase in androgens, he's going to explode into a brick $h!thouse.

Such a cute boy too-what a shame.

I appreciate the reassurance, iniQuity-thanks

primaltreehgr is offline Senior Member
    i see nothing wrong with it. . . my five year old loves to work out with me, she uses soup cans for weights and has mastered plank jacks as well!

Kaeden is offline Senior Member
    Walk into a gymnastics school. You will see tons of this.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    If the kid wants to be active, let him do whatever he wants. We all have an inborn knowledge of how to exercise -- it's "play." But I would emphasize going outside to places where there are things for him to climb around on and jump off of.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeden View Post
    Walk into a gymnastics school. You will see tons of this.
    He does do gymnastics, but the difference there is that the coaches (ostensibly, anyway) know what they're doing with little kids, and I just know what i can/can't do, big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    If the kid wants to be active, let him do whatever he wants. We all have an inborn knowledge of how to exercise -- it's "play." But I would emphasize going outside to places where there are things for him to climb around on and jump off of.
    *nods* ITA. This time of year, though, when it's dark when we get home from work/daycare, and snowing sideways, our activity definitely decreases. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't cause any problems by letting him have weights, etc. We still go outside and play on the swingset and the 'jumpoline' and ride bikes/trikes, etc. on weekends, etc.

I'm a worrywart, what can I say?

Have to ask though, What the devil are plankjacks? Never heard of'em!