Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grassfed vs USDA Organic page

pattyd is offline Senior Member

Grassfed vs USDA Organic

Hi guys,
    I was reading the Blueprint last night and I`m in the chapter where Mark explains the different words used on foods. It says that USDA Certified organic is the best red meat over 100% grass fed. At my grocer I have been buying the 100% grassfed over anything else because I thought with all the positive properties to grass over grain fed that was my best option. Should I switch then and buy USDA Certified organic even if it`s not grass fed??
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

lizch is offline Senior Member
    That IS interesting! p119 of the book...he very clearly states that USDA organic is preferable to grassfed, primarily I think because grassfed has no legal definition or verification?

I just bought 1/4 grassfed cow. Not organic, but from a small farmer who I believe practices organically just doesn't want to go through the expense of certifying. So knowing the source, I feel confident that it's better than any grain fed USDA organic. And I think I feel the same buying from reputable places like Whole Foods. So I'll stick with grass fed, but now with more thought to WHERE it's coming from.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Hmmm, but maybe more recent thinking has changed the order?
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/monda...ass-fed-study/
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    So knowing the source,
    That is how I look at it. When my schedule permits I get my meat at the farmer's market from two different farmers (one for lamb/beef and one for chicken/goat). I've talked to both extensively about how their animals are raised/fed. I feel confident that theirs is the best meat I can get around here. However, when I can't get to the farmer's market during their one day a week 4 hour time block (lame) I have to buy from the store. At a grocery store I don't know a supplier/grower from a hole in the ground and at that point the organic certification becomes much more important. Thanks for bringing this point up. I did not recall Mark mentioning about the organic meat. Thanks for the reminder especially when I go to the grocery store.

kitoi is offline Senior Member
    Certified "Organic" could be organic corn. Grass fed is grass fed

Quote Originally Posted by kitoi View Post
    Certified "Organic" could be organic corn. Grass fed is grass fed
    Right. I know but the cla`s and what not are still higher in grassfed correct? I understand his concept I think which is just because it`s grass fed doesn`t mean there are no pesticides, hormones, antibiotics etc. Correct?

Hmmm, but maybe more recent thinking has changed the order?
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/monda...ass-fed-study/
    Yes, but that doesn`t address any gmo corn pesticides or the like? Unless I missed it

Quote Originally Posted by pattyd View Post
    Yes, but that doesn`t address any gmo corn pesticides or the like? Unless I missed it
    Well, corn isn't an issue if the cow is 100% grass fed, right? But certainly the grass could be pesticide laden, the cow could still be on antibiotics, etc etc.

It was mostly, though, his final line that made me wonder if he now prioritizes grass fed over organic: "All in all, this is just another reason to work grass-fed and (especially) finished animals into your diet whenever possible."
    Liz.

Well, corn isn't an issue if the cow is 100% grass fed, right? But certainly the grass could be pesticide laden, the cow could still be on antibiotics, etc etc.

It was mostly, though, his final line that made me wonder if he now prioritizes grass fed over organic: "All in all, this is just another reason to work grass-fed and (especially) finished animals into your diet whenever possible."
    I definately agree....I`m just trying to weigh out which to buy at the store. I guess the grass fed`s pro`s outweigh the cons?

a_morgan24 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyd View Post
    I definately agree....I`m just trying to weigh out which to buy at the store. I guess the grass fed`s pro`s outweigh the cons?
    I agree. My Dad owns a grass fed beef business and looked into getting USDA Certified as 'organic' and it's a huge headache. Also, they can be certified Organic but be grain fed with organic corn. So you just have to ask the vendor if they use hormones, antibiotics, grass or grain (whatever is most important to you) and then decide where to buy. I bet 'USDA Certified Organic grass feed beef" would be the very best but is probably harder to come by than the small operations that do grass fed beef w/o the organic label.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast