Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can I use to flavor BCAA powder and water? page

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member

What can I use to flavor BCAA powder and water?

I got some unflavored BCAA powder thinking it can't taste too bad by itself and it tastes HORRIBLE!

What would be a good, primal way to flavor it? Flavored stevia drops maybe? Crystal Light even though it's not-so-good for you?

It reminds me of epsom salt, really hard to choke down.

denise is offline Senior Member
    my problem isn't the taste - its the fact the sodding stuff will NOT dissolve in any liquid I have tried. Haven't taken it for a couple of weeks because of that.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Try warmer water for it to dissolve, the colder the water the more it clumps.

You can flavor with lemon, or some drops of orange (or orange juice)

However, BCAA is really more about gulping than enjoying.

denise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Try warmer water for it to dissolve, the colder the water the more it clumps.

You can flavor with lemon, or some drops of orange (or orange juice)

However, BCAA is really more about gulping than enjoying.
    in warm water I'll definitely have to gulp!! Will try it though - thanks.

I assume it IS a supplement worth taking still?? Been taking it a while now after some research into keeping muscle/recovery after weights work, but not checked if its Primal" approved or if anyone knows a good reason NOT to take it??

iniQuity are you still taking BCAA's and glutamine? I think in another thread you were kinda giving it up. Not sure..

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    I would just squeeze some fruit in with it. Next time try the refreshing watermelon by xtend....really good!!
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    The company True Protein sells "flavor packs" of Stevia-sweetened flavor powders that can be added to your BCAA powder. As someone who has to use hydrolyzed casein (which tastes completely awful by itself), I can attest that using these flavor powders is an effective way of disguising the powders' offensive taste (at least, it works well for the casein). The ingredients of these flavorings aren't 100% primal-kosher, but the way I see it, if it helps me to stick with taking my protein powder, I can handle a smidgen of modified food starch etc. (notice that each flavoring pack flavors 10-15 *pounds* of protein powder, so you don't use a lot per serving.)

http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=22&pid=5240

Fyi, if you plan to make the use of BCAA a regular habit, consider purchasing it pre-flavored and sweetened (but be sure that the sweetener you select is Stevia... all of the other stuff is poison!). Here is one option:

True Protein's BCAAs
    http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...cid=25&pid=314
    Last edited by healthseekerKate; 02-25-2011 at 09:35 AM.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    I agree with iniQuity -- just gulp it and be done. I use about 2 oz of water for 10g of BCAA powder. I just pour the BCAA's in, swirl it around, and throw it back. It's gone before you even notice the taste.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneArchy View Post
    iniQuity are you still taking BCAA's and glutamine? I think in another thread you were kinda giving it up. Not sure..
    I have not been taking neither in maybe 2-3 months. That thread you’re referring to was during my whole30 where I was eating super squeaky clean, working out diligently, not smoking weed, and doing a pseudo-Leangains style fasting/training/eating schedule where I incorporated BCAA. I cannot say for certain if it helped because I was doing everything right and by the book, know what I mean?

Then I did a 180, finished whole30, got back to smoking weed and eating tons of crap. Oh yes, old habits die hard. Put on weight, my workouts were more sporadic, etc.

Now, once again I’m trying to attempt drug-free and cleaner eating, but I have not and don’t intend to go back to BCAA. Even Martin of Leangains has said that BCAA is only truly necessary for fasted training and if you’re not to eat for many hours prior to that training. That’s sort of what I was doing, fasted early morning training, with BCAA before and after, then eating at 1pm. This is for “optimal” results which I personally find very hard to gauge. I don’t personally think you’ll get worst results without BCAA.

At the time of that thread I also remember saying I was experiencing better recovery rates, etc. However, Al Kavadlo pointed out something that made me go “a-ha!” … the more you train, the more conditioned you become, the less sore you get. So, it may not have been the BCAA helping recovery but simply that I was getting more conditioned and can handle a bigger work load without my body just straight up breaking down and being super sore.

I DO thank BCAAs for making my workouts more focused. The placebo effect is what I mean. I’d take BCAA then think “well, can’t let all that powder go to waste!” and hit the workout real hard.

Honestly speaking, I can’t say I’m for or against it now. I’m just “supplementing” with true protein from animal flesh, eating my starchy carbs, working out hard, resting, etc.

I suggest you guys that have BCAA on hand to finish it, then go a month or two without and see if you think BCAA was making a difference. Chances are you’re going to be stronger going into that month off, so it’s going to be hard to stay if BCAA helped, or if it was just training paying off. Good luck!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks iniQuity! For me this is just another thing to throw in the mix too. Today was my first day taking BCAA's and what felt like my worst workout in months! But it was probably because I skipped the caffeine this morning, and just took the BCAA's. I thought drinking my espresso shot and the BCAA's too close together might make me feel bad, but maybe if I space the two out a little more I'll feel better next time.

I read Al Kavadlo's blog about not taking any supplements at all too.

Before PB, Jack3d made my workouts more focused but I don't think I want to go back to that stuff!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast