Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insulin and its Metabolic Effects page

maba is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Here's a transcription of a speech by Dr.Ron Rosedale on the effects of Insulin. It reads like a condensed version of GCBC:

http://drbass.com/rosedale2.html
    [quote]

What they are finding on these major centenarian studies is that there is hardly anything in common among them. They have high cholesterol and low cholesterol, some exercise and some don't, some smoke, some don't. Some are nasty as can be and some nice and calm and nice. Some are ornery, but they all low sugar, relatively for their age. They all have low triglycerides for their age.

And they all have relatively low insulin. Insulin is the common denominator in everything I've just talked about. They way to treat cardiovascular disease and the way I treated my stepfather, the way I treated the high risk cancer patient, and osteoporosis, high blood pressure, the way to treat virtually all the so-called chronic diseases of aging is to treat insulin itself.
    </blockquote>

Tarlach is offline Member

Nice find. Thanks for sharing!

The bit about glycation was interesting. I always thought that glucose was just as bad as any other sugar.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Vegetables don&#39;t spike insulin levels much at all, right? I have been eating an absurd amount this week.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Jess,I don&#39;t think so, at least I hope. Because of their carbs, and when eaten with a large fatty meal, the insulin should be minimal. Correct me if I&#39;m wrong, because I&#39;ve eat a lot of veggies lately too... but so does Mark!

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Baglady is offline Junior Member

Vegetable should not spike your insulin because they are high in fiber and fiber slows digestion. Sugar spikes come from foods that digest quickly, bread, rice, pasta, etc.

Bags
    Primal Since 10/2009

Well, if they don&#39;t spike insulin levels, why is everybody around here so quick to cut them out? So, ultimately, if your only source of carbs were from vegetables, why is it so vital for people trying to lose weight to stay <50g if in fact it doesn&#39;t spike insulin>fat storage?

Griff is offline Senior Member

Jess: I personally stay below 20g a day if I can manage it, because I already have insulin problems and need to keep my levels as low as possible for as long as possible. It can be done, and for some of us, who&#39;ve worn out our pancreases with overabundance of carby foods earlier in life, it&#39;s not optional.

Any carb has the potential to spike insulin, and vegetables vary in their digestible carb content. Onions have 15g of carbs per medium onion, of which 12 are digestible. Romaine lettuce, on the other hand, has pretty much no digestible carbs at all. Guess which one I usually eat, if I&#39;m going to eat a vegetable?

Not all vegetables are equal in terms of what they&#39;ll do to your insulin levels. And not all bodies are equal in terms of what they&#39;ll react to. For example, I know that I can&#39;t have green beans at all - they completely screw up my sugars - so even though they&#39;re supposedly a "low-glycemic" vegetable, I can&#39;t have them. Other people have no such problem with them. Onions, on the other hand, don&#39;t seem to spike me as badly as green beans do, so I can have more of them, relatively speaking.

Many people here on MDA have come from the same, or a similar, place as I have - high weight, metabolic issues, diabetes, and/or other blood sugar/insulin problems. If you don&#39;t have blood sugar problems, or high blood pressure, or other symptoms of hyperinsulinemia, then count yourself very lucky and find what works best for you so you never develop them. Some people on PB can have over 100g of carbs (from vegetable and fruit sources) a day and never spike a sugar; others, like me, can&#39;t have more than about 30g at the outside without problems. It all depends on your personal metabolism, your genetics, and your own history with carbohydrates.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Baglady is offline Junior Member

Griff

Once you lose your weight and get the sugar level down will yo be able to increase veges from time to time? or will this always be the case for you?

I am finding that it is really difficult to eat less than 50g of carb, especially since I have added more nuts. I did manage it yesterday and have decided to log my food before I eat it to see if it is in line with my goals.

Also, I may have misunderstood Jess&#39;s question. To me a "spike" is when your blood sugars rise very fast and then (for me) drop equally as fast and that is different than just an unwanted slow rise in blood sugar. So I was trying to explain the "spike". Hope this clarifies.

Bags
    Primal Since 10/2009

Well, not necessarily a spike, but some release of insulin... Ha, Griff, I was actually going to mention in there "besides Griff&#39;s case!" I think we&#39;ve covered this before.

Griff is offline Senior Member

Baglady: It will depend on how badly I&#39;ve already damaged my pancreas. There&#39;s no way to know until I&#39;m at that lower weight. I&#39;m working on it (already dropped 49 pounds) but I have the feeling that I&#39;m not going to be able to, if I want my sugars to stay level.

A "spike" is any rise in blood sugar or insulin, regardless of whether it then drops quickly or not. You don&#39;t want that. You want a nice, steady blood sugar that doesn&#39;t rise above 120 at the outside.

Jess: It didn&#39;t occur to me to say this last night, but there&#39;s also absolutely no need to eat anything other than meat and fat. Your body will produce all the carbs it needs out of the protein you eat. As far as the vitamins and minerals in the vegetables, I take several supplements just to be on the safe side since I can&#39;t eat many veggies or fruits. Probably most of the people who don&#39;t eat veggies on this site are doing something similar.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast