Thread: Sugar and Violence page

Mick Guest

Shop Now
    [quote]

Children fed ... sweets on a daily basis are more likely to be convicted of violent crimes as adults, a new study finds.

Researchers from Cardiff University ... looked at data on 17,415 children born in a single week during April 1970 in the United Kingdom. ...

"There appears to be a link between childhood diet and adult violence, although the nature of the mechanism underlying this association needs further scrutiny," said study author Simon Moore ...</blockquote>

http://health.usnews.com/articles/he...olence-in.html

Poor nutrition can equal a major mental imbalance. An old study found that around 70% of mental patients were actual nutrient-deficient and could be treated or possibly cured with proper nutrition.

(I ate mental institution food for close to a year and I had encountered some serious physical issues that made me shut the doors on college and flee - BTW, it was a government-run school that paid for me to take my GED, gave me Dental Assisting training and then put me through college via a government grant, so we ate in the same cafeteria as the neighboring &#39;nut-house&#39.

Why do you think depression is so rampant nowadays? I think sweets are definitely the devil, but the real elephant in the room here, is nutrition overall!

Mick Guest

[quote]

Why do you think depression is so rampant nowadays? ... the real elephant in the room here, is nutrition
    </blockquote>

That&#39;s an interesting question and a highly plausible answer.

I remember when I read Price&#39;s Nutrition and Physical Degeneration. He said that his "primitive populations" were notably happy, laughing, and optimistic. (He also said that some of the fairly remote but "modernized" people were some of the most desperate people he&#39;d encountered - from the sheer pain of their rotted teeth and no dentists to help.)

(I think NAPD has to be one of most interesting books on nutrition one can read, and one of the most remarkable and prophetic books of the last century. It&#39;s astounding that it&#39;s not a well-known book.)

I think there are other reasons, however. One would be the loss of religious faith. I recently came across an aperçu by an Australian philosopher, which I thought quite penetrating. He said that fear is the proper emotion to religious belief and depression to atheism. IOW, if you believe you have an immortal destiny and are poised between everlasting joy or damnation, life might be frightening but never boring. If you believe you are living a tragic - and perhaps ultimately meaningless - butterfly&#39;s flutter toward extinction, then life might seem rather pointless. That need not be so: Hume was a cherry fellow. But I think it often might.

If I had ever got around to reading Durkheim ... He was interested in the different rates of suicide in Roman Catholic and Protestant societies.

There are more people who are socially isolated these days, more people living on their own than ever before. It&#39;s not only what you eat but also that many people eat alone. (And that&#39;s a kind of unhelpful feedback-loop, too: "if it&#39;s just me, why bother to cook?" ...)

But, having said all that, I think you&#39;re right in saying that "the elephant in the room is nutrition".

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

On a related note, I blame soy products for the dramatic increase in morons.

Really, I do.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

PrimalCon New York

Ha ha ha! That&#39;s funny and Sad and true all in one sentence Primalchild!