Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dangers of chronic cardio page 2

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by coach81 View Post
    And I just ran my first five miles the other day....
    You were probably joking, but in case anyone else reading gets confused: you have to run WELL OVER 5 miles daily to get anywhere close to this.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    @PrimalRob, I think if training for a marathon was something you have wanted to do then don’t let this derail you. You’re talking about people that literally ran themselves to the ground.

Training for a single marathon, or one every couple of years or so just can’t be THAT detrimental to the body.

Also, aren’t the vast majority of endurance athletes vegetarian or something? They were probably lacking in other areas while pushing their bodies to the limit constantly. I have no desire currently to do any training such as theirs, but maybe in the future, and I won’t let this article sway me too much.
    yeah, i don't think a marathon is really for me anyway. i'm more of a seven summits kind of guy anyway. (a guy a couple towns over from me just finished all seven a couple years ago...huge inspiration)

but i agree that a lot of endurance athletes are vegetarians. i used to have a subscription to runners world magazine, and it always felt like their nutritional advice was way farther into the vegetarian camp than the paleo/primal/lifting camp...but that probably has more to do with carb energy

confused_monkey is offline Senior Member
    Gulp...is soccer chronic cardio...either way, I don't care, that is something I am not giving up.

Ketotic is offline Junior Member
    It is a well-known fact that chronic cardio is far from healthy. See, for example:

Here and Here

Mike7 is offline Senior Member
    Chronic cardio is a addiction.

primaltreehgr is offline Senior Member
    yeah chronic cardio is an addiction. . . i've run a handful of marathons and now i am trying not to run everyday! i am down to three times a week and no more than five miles, usually three at a time. i do enjoy the long walks, and like mark says it does not induce hunger like the chronic cardio. i seem to have more time in my day which is nice!

Karma is offline Senior Member
    A vast majority of endurance athletes ARE NOT vegetarians, they are almost all carb heavy omnivores. I have trained well over 100 athletes to Ironman over the past 5 years and only a handful of them were vegetarians. And most of those failed at their attempt to complete the IM distance in the required amount of time. You can race long as a vegetarian, many people do. IM legend Dave Scott was vegetarian when he won the IM world championship 5 times. He is no longer a vegetarian now though.

I currently have 11 athletes who are training 100% paleo and doing quite well. Only two of them are going for IM distance, but a couple are racing at the half-ironman distance. We carefully monitor their activity and while some would call it chronic cardio, I would not. It is regular exercise, but we work the whole body in our coaching practice, including the mind.

Way too many of the endurance athletes I know are also so "type A" that they can't stop the chronic cardio without a serious intervention. I have lost clients because I will not train them into the ground like they want. They move to a coach who will kill them with cardio because it gives them a high.

For more on how to train for enduarnce athletics in a safe and primal manner, I suggest you look into a book called "Metabolic Efficiency" by Bob Seebohar and also "Paleo Diet for Athletes" by Loren Cordain and Joe Friel.

As a four time IM finisher myself, I have no desire to go long any more. I enjoy my reduced training time too much. My current focus in having fun adventure racing and I will do a half-ironman with my wife in August too. While only training for a half-ironman this year, I could probably beat 50% or more of the field at IM if I all of a sudden wanted to do one next week simply because I'm not as torn up as they are.

I don't preach to people who come to me for coaching services. I educate them on how best to acheive their goals and allow them to decide if they want to try it a new way that involves less time, higher intensity on occasion and more careful lifestyle choices (mainly diet) outside of sports. Granted, they need to do some long workouts, but if we have trained them correctly and they have taught their body to run more eficiently on ketone bodies, then they end up doing pretty well in their events.

Pretty sad, just yesterday I saw that in support of national health month (March), triathlete magazine did a special interview with Brenden Brazier, a vegan long course triathlete. Like that was some kind of a model to follow or something. The guy is a genetic mutant for starters. He has to supplement his diet with a concoction he created called "vega" to continue to train long. (By the way, when I had a vegan athlete I tried that crap and it was like drinking mule sweat and cat barf all rolled into one.) While his list of accomplishments is noteworthy, he looks really unhealthy when you see him in person. His candle will burn out early, like just about every vegetarian endurance athlete ever to hit the big time.

OK, off my soap box.

Have a nice day everybody!
    Last edited by Karma; 03-05-2011 at 04:31 PM.

Mike7 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Karma! nice insight.

Quote Originally Posted by primaltreehgr View Post
    yeah chronic cardio is an addiction. . . i've run a handful of marathons and now i am trying not to run everyday! i am down to three times a week and no more than five miles, usually three at a time. i do enjoy the long walks, and like mark says it does not induce hunger like the chronic cardio. i seem to have more time in my day which is nice!
    Ditto with me and my dog.
    Last edited by Mike7; 03-05-2011 at 03:42 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12