Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brain high in Vitamin C and Omega 3 page

maba is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I'm getting some goat brain from the halal meat store today. I just checked the nutrition on Nutrition Data. 1 unit of brain seems to have 92% of your RDA of Vit C. Whoever said one can't get enough Vit C from animal source?! Also, scroll all the way to the bottom to read the fatty acid profile. The O3:O6 ratio is 20:1!

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/l...roducts/4656/2

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

maba,

Aren't you the fearless one???

How will you cook the brain?

Kuno, and guess what I'm getting them for a dollar each! This is how I plan to make it:

Heat up some oil in a pan. Add whole spices (cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, star anise, bay leaf, fennel - any combo or all, 2-3 pieces of the bigger ones, 1/4 tsp of the small ones) and fry till they turn fragrant. If you don't have whole spices, not to worry, you can use garam masala in the end. Add finely chopped onion and fry till they turn translucent. Add a tsp each of chopped/grated giner and garlic. Fry till the raw smell disappears. Add turmeric, chili/cayenne powder, coriander powder (optional), garam masala if not using whole spices in the beginning. Add brain and scramble it with the spatula you're using to fry. Cook till done (brain cooks real fast) and garnish with lots of chopped cilantro.

Sorry for the lack of measurements, I usually just eyeball everything. I can post the exact measurements after I cook it, this will be my first time cooking brain.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Dang, maba.

That sounds delish!!! I'm still a little freaked out by the concept of brains...but they also have them at my Halal store. Maybe I'll give it a go.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Ha, that does seem brave! Sounds good with all the spices though And you can't beat an entire meal for $2, I'm impressed!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

see I was always wondering what kept zombies so energized

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

I just got back from the store ... they had just 1 measly brain. Something's better than nothing. Got lots of goat meat though and couple kidneys and bones. They had lots of fat that was going to end up in trash, and let me have some when I asked for it.

I started asking the butcher how the goats were fed, what they were fed etc... and he was like, "Don't watch too much TV, you need to be worried about that only if it's beef"! I DO want to know what my meat eats. The goats are from a farm but they are also fed grains and other stuff in addition to what they get from the pasture. Would the fat be acceptable or not? I got a small amount as I'm not sure what to do with it. Can it be rendered like tallow?

Kuno & Hannah, you must try brain when you get a chance, it has the most amazing texture, almost buttery.

LOL SS!

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

Just remember to cook it on very low heat. Both VitC and O3 are susceptible to heat. So it would not go with meat. It can go well with Livers, as it also needs low heat. I sometimes do that. Unfortunately my son doesn't like the liver. He thinks the dark color is not good.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

maba, goats aren't like cows here. No one raising goats or sheep is going to waste money on grains to fatten them. Not saying they may not throw some their way, but not to fatten. The meat is naturally fatty as The Goddess made it. And unlike cattle, goats are true omnivores.

Just wondering, did you feel a rush of IQ going up when you ate the brain?????

@Anand: Good point about the heat, will keep that in mind when I cook it. I got some kidneys too, will probably cook the brain with it. You can try making pa^te' with liver and butter/ghee and see if your son likes that, since it's all ground up, he may not notice it's liver.

Anyone remember the scene from Indiana Jones: The Temple of Doom, where they eat the brain straight from a monkey's(I think) head, must have been to preserve all the nutrients!! But I digress.

OTB: Sadly, no. That's possibly because my IQ is already maxed :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast