Thread: Appetite problems page

PriFrance is offline Member

Appetite problems

Primal Fuel
    New to Primal, Ive been eating strict for about a week and am having problems eating enough. I am 6'3' about 185 pounds but seem to be able to eat at most 1700-1800 calories a day. I am trying to slim down and add some muscle and have been lifting for a few months. Any ways to eat more protein without feeling stuffed? I have been shooting for about 175g on workout days and 100 on off days.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    175 grams of protein is more than enough. There are very few scenarios where someone needs more than 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass per day. If you need more calories (which I'd guess you do if you're working out), you can get them from fats instead.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

how about 100g on off days? is that a good amount to shoot for protein wise? Is there a big risk of muscle loss with lower caloires as long as I lift weights and get these levels of protein all from primal sources?

This is the official PB take on protein requirements:
    Protein takes priority. If there is ample glycogen (stored glucose) and the body is getting the rest of its energy efficiently from fats, protein will always go first towards repair or building cells or enzymes. In that context, it hardly seems fair to assign it a “burn rate” of 4 calories per gram. It’s like saying the 24 studs that support the walls of your house can burn nicely if you run out of firewood. They will, but I prefer to burn other fuel first. At a minimum you need .5 grams of protein per pound of lean mass/per day on average to maintain your “structure”. If you are moderately active you need .7 or .8, and if you are an active athlete you need as much as 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass. That’s at a minimum, but it’s on a daily average.
    Even if you are getting a ton of protein, you can still lose muscle if you have a energy deficit, since your body may use the protein for fuel instead of muscle repair. But, eating plenty of protein and lifting weights will help minimize muscle loss as a percent of total weight lost.

Holla to you Holla, Thanks for the info, I will keep it in mind

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Holla back, PriFrance, and you're very welcome.