Thread: tomato sauce? page

JamieBelle is offline Member

Why does plain tomato sauce (not spaghetti sauce) have so much carbs? Tomatoes aren't that bad...only about 1gram per ounce in raw tomatoes.

Does anyone have a recipe for homemade tomato sauce that's low carb?

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

JamieBelle,

I believe it's because the tomatoes are cooked down and concentrated to make the sauce; a little can of sauce probably has 5 or 6 tomatoes in it.

But if you used some other vegetables in there too which were lower carb....

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Yes, that's exactly why. I made some homemade tomato sauce the other week and I had to use about 20 lb of tomatoes to cook a medium-size sauce pan full of it. When I figured it out that way, the canned stuff is exactly the same.

JamieBelle is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Well, poo.

I made what I thought would be a "primal meatloaf" last night using coconut flour (from the Cooking with Coconut Flour book). It came out pretty good, except the recipe called for 16 oz of tomato sauce. I did a quick glance of the can at first, and then later realized 2 oz is what they base their servings on. Of course this is after I ate it.

I guess I'll just try to cut half of the sauce out the next time I make it so it's not so carb heavy.