Thread: WANTED: Input on blood work page

stinika Guest

I've been lurking for a few months and also fairly compliant in terms of primal eating. Just had some blood work done yesterday and would love some input!

ME? 30y Female, work out regularly, have been eating about 90% primal over a month, average weight (although I would love to lose).

The test:

CHOLESTEROL 162

TRIGLYCERIDE 41

HDL 66

LDL CALCULATED 88

Glucose 72

Now it KNOW this isn't "bad" but is it GREAT?? How do I get my LDL down? I know it's not too high, I'd just like it to be lower (I have a tendency to obsess over numbers... can you tell?)

Thanks!

Christina

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

I think your numbers look GREAT!

stinika Guest

I'm just wondering if they could be "better"? If so - how do I make them better?

Funny that everything I've seen online about lowering Triglycerides tells people to eat LOW fat, and LOW saturated fat. MY levels are LOW and I eat a lot of fat, red meat, raw whole milk, cream, etc. . However, I don't eat grains, margarine, bread, candy, crackers, etc. (I have eaten them at points, but 90% of what I eat doesn't include these things.)

One site says: "Use soft magarine: vegetable oils that are high in unsaturated fats (such as sunflower, soybeen, corn and cottonseed). Always refrigerate meat drippings to harden the fat and remove it before preparing gravies."

AAACCKKK!!!

So... what about getting my bad Cholesterol down more and good up more? Any tips? (not that I NEED to....)

klcarbaugh Guest

You have excellent numbers!

When your triglycerides are low(under 100 I believe), the calculation for your LDL is inaccurate anyways. It is expensive to actually measure the real number, so they use a mathematical equation to calculate it (I am 99 percent sure that your real LDL is much lower).

LDL really doesn't mean anything anyways. It is tooted as the "bad" cholesterol, but there really is little evidence, if any that it is bad. What is more import is your LDL particle size. You want large, fluffy LDL. Small, dense LDL are bad: http://www.americanheart.org/present...tifier=3022935

(you can find a million more articles via google)

If you have a high HDL and low triglycerides, chances are you have a healthy, large and fluffy, pattern of LDL chloresterol. So chill.

Some better markers for health are your insulin levels, your mTor levels, and your leptin levels. Those are what determine health and longevity... cholesterol numbers are important to, but as you can see, they aren't so straightforward.

stinika Guest

Thanks klcarbaugh! I'm going to read up on the density of LDL.

klcarbaugh Guest

You are welcome. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Acmebike is offline Member

Calculated LDL tells you little. Get an NMR Lipoprofile or VAP or other direct measure. You want particle type/size as well. You could have low low low LDL that is nearly all the bad dense type and be prone for trouble, or have a big huge number that is all the fluffy variant and be fine. So do some reading up, I think Griff? has posts on MDA about this very thing that will help alot.

Cholesterol is much ado about nothing. Eat only natural source foods, meat, veggies, nuts and fruit and you'll be fine.

Acmebike is offline Member

Griff is offline Senior Member

"The test:

CHOLESTEROL 162

TRIGLYCERIDE 41

HDL 66

LDL CALCULATED 88

Glucose 72"

First of all, that glucose number is one I'd kill to have. Just sayin'. You're great there.

About cholesterol: The two important things to look at are the ratios of total/HDL and trigs/HDL. Ignore the LDL. With your trigs under 100, it's not going to be calculated correctly; the current equation they use doesn't work if your trigs aren't at least 100.

Total/HDL tells you how much "danger" you're in. The ideal ratio of Total/HDL is 4.4 for women and 5 for men. Your ratio here is 162/66, which comes out to 2.45, which is insanely good.

Trig/HDL tells you two things: first, the size of your LDL particles. Lower numbers in the Trig/HDL ratio mean larger LDL particles; higher Trig/HDL ratios mean smaller LDL particles. The significance of LDL particle size has already been addressed elsecomment here, so I'll skip that lecture and cut to the chase: the ideal Trig/HDL ratio is 2 or below. 4 is high. 6 is "danger Will Robinson!"

Your Trig/HDL ratio is 41/66, which comes out to .62 - you really can't get much better than that. It's the best I've ever seen. Your LDL is no doubt large, fluffy, and innocuous. If you really want to be sure, you can put your foot down and demand a VAP (direct measurement of LDL), but it's really not worth it, with numbers as good as yours.

A second thing Trig/HDL tells you, although not as reliably, what your free insulin level is. Lower numbers in the ratio mean lower free insulin levels. However, this doesn't appear to work reliably with persons of African descent, so take that with a grain of salt.

You do not need to obsess about your numbers. You're doing great!

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

stinika Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Wow. I feel really good about my numbers!

Talk about having some smart people here!! You guys are amazing.

Thanks again!

(Take THAT 9-servings-of-grains-a-day people!)