Thread: Cutting/Bulking/Bleh page

BoyPrimal is offline Senior Member

Cutting/Bulking/Bleh

I'm wondering if I should look into a specific fitness program or something. I've been riding this line for a while of trying to lose bulk while getting stronger and building muscle. I think I may be crippling myself by being all over the map, up and down with my workouts, calories, and cardio.

I try to eat around 2000, maybe 2500 calories a day. I strength train at least four days a week, three or four days get some kind of cardio, and I try to keep active every day even if just walking around town for an hour or two.

Right now I'm at 5'7" and 175lbs, almost pushing 180. That picture is about five pounds ago I think. I have a thick build, but that's a bit much for me and I'd love to lean down a bit. Do I -have- to buy into this whole bulking/cutting phase, and if so, what's the adjustment I'd have to make here? Am I eating too many calories, not doing enough cardio, too much strength training, I don't get it.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm sure these are all newbie questions, but I've been going back on forth on this long enough that I could use the input.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Am I alone in automatically equating “building muscle” with “bulking up” ?? in terms of phrasing, I always heard both interchangeably. Mostly because building muscle usually entails growth.

I’d say strength train 2-3x a week keeping the intensity (weight) high but your reps low (up to 5) I personally find this style of training to be challenging, but rather boring, I HAVE to throw in higher rep days but that’s just me.

Then, sprint at least once a week. You sound conditioned, but doing more than once a week shouldn’t be necessary. Make them hill sprints, at least 10 dashes.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I can somewhat identify with your frustration at cutting/bulking. The past few times when I tried to "bulk" I went way overboard on calories and gained too much fat for for my liking. Lately I've been just eating to appetite and the results are much better. I'm still gaining, but more of it is muscle. I also lift 3-4x each week. Usually I do one or two "main" lifts in a reverse pyramid and then 3-4 accessory lifts. If you're only eating ~2000 calories a day and are as active as you say you are, I'm not sure why you wouldn't be losing weight. I read your other recent post about binging, maybe that's what's throwing you off.

RezH is offline Senior Member
    2100 calories is maintenance at your bodyweight if you are sedentary. Nonlifting days you should be under this by at least 300 calories. On workout days, eat some starchy carbs after your workout. Eat 175g of protein every day no matter what.

Use something like FitDay to see how many calories you are really eating every day.

BoyPrimal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RezH View Post
    2100 calories is maintenance at your bodyweight if you are sedentary. Nonlifting days you should be under this by at least 300 calories. On workout days, eat some starchy carbs after your workout. Eat 175g of protein every day no matter what.

Use something like FitDay to see how many calories you are really eating every day.

2100 for maintenance, really? I get at least moderate exercise every day, and I train hard four or five days a week. A lot of the estimates I've seen say maintenance for me is 2800 or so.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    If you tried to post a photo it didn't come up.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Bulking and cutting is for bodybuilders. Here's what I recommend for you:

1. Adhere to the PB diet as strictly as possible.

2. Do intense strength training that's focused on big compound movements (pull-ups, push-ups, overhead press, dips, squats, deads, lunges, cleans, etc.).

3. Stop worrying about the little details (like counting calories).

4. Be patient and consistent.

5. Enjoy the ride!

Of course all of that is easier said than done.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

RezH is offline Senior Member
    Rule of thumb is 12 cals per lb for a sedentary person. Obviously any activity above normal daily moving around increases this.

I think counting calories can be helpful in the short term. If you have no exact count on how much you are really eating, then how can you reach goals? It still boils down to eat less to lose weight, eat more to gain.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    I think counting calories can be helpful in the short term.
    Perhaps, but I prefer to look at the big picture.

If you have no exact count on how much you are really eating, then how can you reach goals?
    By training hard and eating good food (fresh veggies, meats, etc).

It still boils down to eat less to lose weight, eat more to gain.
    I (mostly) agree with this last part!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think counting calories can be helpful in the short term. If you have no exact count on how much you are really eating, then how can you reach goals? It still boils down to eat less to lose weight, eat more to gain.
    when i was dropping the weight i had to carry to be an offensive lineman (which happened to line up with when I found this site) I didn't count any calories. I also wasn't exercising at all (post concussion syndrome). I lost 30lbs before i started exercising again and then another 20lbs after. This was done eating to satiety. It's more about what you put in your mouth.

I am now strength gaining again, putting on lean weight and the only thing i'm counting is protein (I don't eat a lot of starchy veg except post workout) and my food is 95% paleo.
    Last edited by federkeil; 02-25-2011 at 03:52 PM.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe