Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal dad + Pescitarian mom + ?? baby page

lunadam is offline Member

Primal dad + Pescitarian mom + ?? baby

Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone
    I find myself in a quandary. I have been primal on and off for a year but recently I have decided to fully embrace it as I gained 22 lbs of sympathy pregnancy weight. For the past 2 weeks the results have been very good, with 4lbs lost and sleep and energy at much better levels.

My quandary is that my wife is a pescitarian http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescitarian and she does not want our baby (due in 5 weeks ) to eat Primal until she is old enough to know what it means that animals have to die in order for her to eat tasty, tasty bacon.

I discussed(argued) with her that fish have families too and it is the same thing but she doesn't want to see my point. I strive to buy only local, grassfed, humanely raised meat so I feel that I am doing my part to make sure that I don't support inhumane methods of the CW way of eating.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this as I consider keeping bacon away from someone a crime.

Thanks!

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    Is your wife educated in the science behind Primal? If not is she is willing to learn? Maybe it will help her see that it is the healthiest for your baby when she reaches the point of eating solid food. At least you`ve got a little while before it happens lol. There has to be a compromise in there somewhere.....
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    This is a tough one, especially when you take into account that your wife’s best argument is “na na na na na na!”

lizch is offline Senior Member
    My thought is that if you both feed your baby in a HEALTHY pescitarian way (ie. more primal...lots of veg and fruit and fish and fat, no frankenfoods, no added sugar, limited grains) you're going to have one of the healthiest kids in the entire country. I wouldn't let bacon or any other meat be the issue....make the issue what the baby IS eating.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

@lizch-great advice. Perhaps ensuring that we limit processed foods and grains that might be the best mid way point. I just don't want her scaring our daughter into thinking eating meat is evil.

@Patty-No. She's only see the evil side of eating meat (I.E-images in fast food nation, etc) I think its not so much the science as it is the ethical side.

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lunadam View Post
    My quandary is that my wife is a pescitarian http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pescitarian and she does not want our baby (due in 5 weeks ) to eat Primal until she is old enough to know what it means that animals have to die in order for her to eat tasty, tasty bacon.

I discussed(argued) with her that fish have families too and it is the same thing but she doesn't want to see my point.
    Well, I would say it depends on how hard you want to push it. It is your baby as well as hers right? As such it seems you have as much right as she does to decide what the little one eats (beyond breast milk as she has the monopoly on that obviously). It is just a matter of whether you want to call her out on that or not. I wonder at what age your child will figure out your wife is a hypocrite. Killing fish is fine but not pigs etc. Such bullshit, especially given you buy humanely raised meat. Has she seen a commercial fish farm or read anything about overfishing lately?

No offense to you or your wife man, and I am sure she is a lovely lady and all but that kind of thing really irritates me.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I was a Primal pescatarian for my first couple months on the PB. It is still an incredibly healthy diet, though it can feel kind of restrictive at times. In fact, Mark's wife is a Primal pescatarian! It would make sense for you to raise your daughter on that type of diet as well, until she is old enough to make her own choices about food. I think that the key here is getting your wife on board with eliminating grains and sugar, balancing PUFA intake, and embracing fat, which are all way more important than where you're getting your protein from.

I was raised vegetarian, and just recently started eating red meat and poultry. While it definitely gives me more variety and has allowed me to reduce my carbon footprint it isn't strictly necessary from a nutritional standpoint. I continue to have the utmost respect for people, like your wife, who avoid meat for ethical reasons (and, while fish certainly have families, they don't have the kind of advanced social structure that many mammals and birds do, so I can relate to someone who decides to draw the line there).
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Just go for avoiding starting with cheerios and cookies. If the only meat your kid gets for the first 4 years is fish, s/he'll be ok as long as it isnt replaced with crap. The only concern would be mercury if there is a LOT of fish.

AND of course there has to be aggreement that you BOTH talk about the food you eat, not just her saying "daddy kills Babe and Bossy"....at which point it might be time to pull out Nemo
    Last edited by runnergal; 02-24-2011 at 09:29 AM.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Forgive me if I sound harsh. I'm assuming your wife knows about ethical meat since you make the effort to get it. The only thing left then is that she doesn't want animals to die. I won't go into why that's a misguided way to look at the world you can tackle that with her. She's then hypocritical in her deliberate consumption of other dead animals that are unfortunately not considered cute (unfortunate for them I mean) so she needs to reconcile her feelings on this issue and understand that she shouldn't impart on her kid feelings and thoughts she herself doesn't fully understand.

However this comes from a 25 year old in a committed relationship of only two years with no plans for procreation in the short run so feel free to dismiss it due to lack of experience being married and/or raising children.

Thanks everyone for the great responses.

@theholla-Good point. I believe that staying away from CW kids food for the first years is essential to having a healthy kid.

@canio06-True. She is very smart but can tend to be a bit clouded in her decisions when it comes to meat. I'm sure that we will come to a consensus over time.

@runnergal-That is one of my concerns. I also have a concern about too much soy. I'm worried about the estrogen response in a developing body. I know there are other choices as well like shrimp and other proteins but it will definitely be difficult.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast