Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: How long to fast for it to "work?" page

  1. #1
    workinhard's Avatar
    workinhard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    114

    How long to fast for it to "work?"

    Primal Fuel
    I know there is no magic number... but does a fast HAVE to be 16 hours to see benefits? What about 14... sometimes 12? I'm just curious because based on my schedule it doesn't always make sense or become doable, but I'd like to test it out.

    Thoughts?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    tradawg's Avatar
    tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    501
    Are you male or female? I read somewhere (pretty sure Leangains) that 14 hrs. was enough for females to see benefits. I don't think less than that would have much benefit...most people go 12 hours from dinner to breakfast. If it doesn't make sense or isn't doable, don't do it. Maybe just do one or two 24 hr. fasts instead of worrying about every day.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

    "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire


    For nutrition/wellness tips:

    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

    www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

  3. #3
    denise's Avatar
    denise is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    884
    Ok, this is said with love and a bit of tongue in cheek but ......AAAAAAAAAARGH!

  4. #4
    spakesneaker's Avatar
    spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,576
    Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    Ok, this is said with love and a bit of tongue in cheek but ......AAAAAAAAAARGH!
    What a helpful comment?


    workinhard, what kind of benefits are you hoping to see? Weight loss? Better insulin sensitivity? Better muscle growth? Honestly if it doesn't make sense according to your schedule, you don't have to do a Leangains-style IF. Just don't eat when you're not hungry, but make sure you take some food with you to work or wherever in case hunger does strike you.

    For a lot of seasoned IF'ers, I think IF'ing is just about how convenient it is.

  5. #5
    workinhard's Avatar
    workinhard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    114
    Looking to spark some extra weight loss. I'm a male... 6ft tall. 26 years old.

    I don't think it's a magic pill or anything like that, just wanted to see if folks had differing opinions on it, that's all.

    I can probably do 16-18 hours 2-3x a week. Should I see benefits from that?

  6. #6
    Grumpycakes's Avatar
    Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    3,592
    It takes as long as it takes you to not eat a meal or two.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

  7. #7
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,683
    Quote Originally Posted by workinhard View Post
    Looking to spark some extra weight loss. I'm a male... 6ft tall. 26 years old.

    I don't think it's a magic pill or anything like that, just wanted to see if folks had differing opinions on it, that's all.

    I can probably do 16-18 hours 2-3x a week. Should I see benefits from that?
    Plenty.

  8. #8
    denise's Avatar
    denise is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by imasin View Post
    What a helpful comment?


    workinhard, what kind of benefits are you hoping to see? Weight loss? Better insulin sensitivity? Better muscle growth? Honestly if it doesn't make sense according to your schedule, you don't have to do a Leangains-style IF. Just don't eat when you're not hungry, but make sure you take some food with you to work or wherever in case hunger does strike you.

    For a lot of seasoned IF'ers, I think IF'ing is just about how convenient it is.
    thank you. I was just at risk of repeating myself again about IF

    Ok, trying to be helpful again (my usual default option, must cut out any attempt at humour).

    I don't think there is a "magic number" though I have seen people give numbers as averages for women/men. If a "fast" was just a couple of hours between meals (not saying you or anyone would actually think that - there I go again with the being not completely serious) it would obviously make little difference to you. (BUT it MIGHT to someone just coming off CW and addicted to carbs). For you to "feel benefits" first you would need to define what "benefits" means to you. Weight loss, fat loss, etc as imasin says above. then have a plan (giving yourself permission to NOT stick to it if you feel bad!)

    At its simplest a fast is just a gap between meals - we tend to think in longer than "just while I'm asleep" terms - but that is where "breakfast" comes from?? If it worked for you to skip a meal, no problems with energy and how much you ate as a consequence (bingeing etc), that is a place to begin?? see how it affects you - if at all, take real notice of consequences. Some people LOVE long fasts, feel they derive myriad benefits from them. For others it can lead to some recurrence of eating problems - or even just overdoing it when you eat again. Find out which is you - or define your own criteria for success

    I am no fan of "IF"ing though I generally have 16/18 hours between dinner and lunch? Not "IF", just what works for me. Wouldn't worry that that seems wrong for women by someone elses rules - unless it becomes an issue for me. I also have days where I do NOT have that long between meals - just as some days i need a snack.

    SO, its personal, experiment on yourself and just like anyone doing an experiment keep track of "data" that results.

    Helpful-er???

  9. #9
    profdjj's Avatar
    profdjj is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    348
    The 14 hours for women (via leangains) wasn't because of some optimal number but because he found that his female clients couldn't last the whole 16 hours. He attributed it to hormonal issues. I do a 6 hour eat / 18 hour fast nearly every day.

  10. #10
    spakesneaker's Avatar
    spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,576
    Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    thank you. I was just at risk of repeating myself again about IF

    Ok, trying to be helpful again (my usual default option, must cut out any attempt at humour).

    I don't think there is a "magic number" though I have seen people give numbers as averages for women/men. If a "fast" was just a couple of hours between meals (not saying you or anyone would actually think that - there I go again with the being not completely serious) it would obviously make little difference to you. (BUT it MIGHT to someone just coming off CW and addicted to carbs). For you to "feel benefits" first you would need to define what "benefits" means to you. Weight loss, fat loss, etc as imasin says above. then have a plan (giving yourself permission to NOT stick to it if you feel bad!)

    At its simplest a fast is just a gap between meals - we tend to think in longer than "just while I'm asleep" terms - but that is where "breakfast" comes from?? If it worked for you to skip a meal, no problems with energy and how much you ate as a consequence (bingeing etc), that is a place to begin?? see how it affects you - if at all, take real notice of consequences. Some people LOVE long fasts, feel they derive myriad benefits from them. For others it can lead to some recurrence of eating problems - or even just overdoing it when you eat again. Find out which is you - or define your own criteria for success

    I am no fan of "IF"ing though I generally have 16/18 hours between dinner and lunch? Not "IF", just what works for me. Wouldn't worry that that seems wrong for women by someone elses rules - unless it becomes an issue for me. I also have days where I do NOT have that long between meals - just as some days i need a snack.

    SO, its personal, experiment on yourself and just like anyone doing an experiment keep track of "data" that results.

    Helpful-er???
    I understand your frustration denise, but I don't think that workinhard would have read all the other threads about IF/the thread about skewing toward weight loss, so I don't think he would have understood the context.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •