Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long to fast for it to "work?" page

workinhard is offline Senior Member

How long to fast for it to "work?"

Primal Fuel
    I know there is no magic number... but does a fast HAVE to be 16 hours to see benefits? What about 14... sometimes 12? I'm just curious because based on my schedule it doesn't always make sense or become doable, but I'd like to test it out.

Thoughts?

Thanks

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Are you male or female? I read somewhere (pretty sure Leangains) that 14 hrs. was enough for females to see benefits. I don't think less than that would have much benefit...most people go 12 hours from dinner to breakfast. If it doesn't make sense or isn't doable, don't do it. Maybe just do one or two 24 hr. fasts instead of worrying about every day.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

denise is offline Senior Member
    Ok, this is said with love and a bit of tongue in cheek but ......AAAAAAAAAARGH!

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    Ok, this is said with love and a bit of tongue in cheek but ......AAAAAAAAAARGH!
    What a helpful comment?

workinhard, what kind of benefits are you hoping to see? Weight loss? Better insulin sensitivity? Better muscle growth? Honestly if it doesn't make sense according to your schedule, you don't have to do a Leangains-style IF. Just don't eat when you're not hungry, but make sure you take some food with you to work or wherever in case hunger does strike you.

For a lot of seasoned IF'ers, I think IF'ing is just about how convenient it is.

workinhard is offline Senior Member
    Looking to spark some extra weight loss. I'm a male... 6ft tall. 26 years old.

I don't think it's a magic pill or anything like that, just wanted to see if folks had differing opinions on it, that's all.

I can probably do 16-18 hours 2-3x a week. Should I see benefits from that?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    It takes as long as it takes you to not eat a meal or two.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by workinhard View Post
    Looking to spark some extra weight loss. I'm a male... 6ft tall. 26 years old.

I don't think it's a magic pill or anything like that, just wanted to see if folks had differing opinions on it, that's all.

I can probably do 16-18 hours 2-3x a week. Should I see benefits from that?
    Plenty.

denise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imasin View Post
    What a helpful comment?

workinhard, what kind of benefits are you hoping to see? Weight loss? Better insulin sensitivity? Better muscle growth? Honestly if it doesn't make sense according to your schedule, you don't have to do a Leangains-style IF. Just don't eat when you're not hungry, but make sure you take some food with you to work or wherever in case hunger does strike you.

For a lot of seasoned IF'ers, I think IF'ing is just about how convenient it is.
    thank you. I was just at risk of repeating myself again about IF

Ok, trying to be helpful again (my usual default option, must cut out any attempt at humour).

I don't think there is a "magic number" though I have seen people give numbers as averages for women/men. If a "fast" was just a couple of hours between meals (not saying you or anyone would actually think that - there I go again with the being not completely serious) it would obviously make little difference to you. (BUT it MIGHT to someone just coming off CW and addicted to carbs). For you to "feel benefits" first you would need to define what "benefits" means to you. Weight loss, fat loss, etc as imasin says above. then have a plan (giving yourself permission to NOT stick to it if you feel bad!)

At its simplest a fast is just a gap between meals - we tend to think in longer than "just while I'm asleep" terms - but that is where "breakfast" comes from?? If it worked for you to skip a meal, no problems with energy and how much you ate as a consequence (bingeing etc), that is a place to begin?? see how it affects you - if at all, take real notice of consequences. Some people LOVE long fasts, feel they derive myriad benefits from them. For others it can lead to some recurrence of eating problems - or even just overdoing it when you eat again. Find out which is you - or define your own criteria for success

I am no fan of "IF"ing though I generally have 16/18 hours between dinner and lunch? Not "IF", just what works for me. Wouldn't worry that that seems wrong for women by someone elses rules - unless it becomes an issue for me. I also have days where I do NOT have that long between meals - just as some days i need a snack.

SO, its personal, experiment on yourself and just like anyone doing an experiment keep track of "data" that results.

Helpful-er???

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    The 14 hours for women (via leangains) wasn't because of some optimal number but because he found that his female clients couldn't last the whole 16 hours. He attributed it to hormonal issues. I do a 6 hour eat / 18 hour fast nearly every day.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    thank you. I was just at risk of repeating myself again about IF

Ok, trying to be helpful again (my usual default option, must cut out any attempt at humour).

I don't think there is a "magic number" though I have seen people give numbers as averages for women/men. If a "fast" was just a couple of hours between meals (not saying you or anyone would actually think that - there I go again with the being not completely serious) it would obviously make little difference to you. (BUT it MIGHT to someone just coming off CW and addicted to carbs). For you to "feel benefits" first you would need to define what "benefits" means to you. Weight loss, fat loss, etc as imasin says above. then have a plan (giving yourself permission to NOT stick to it if you feel bad!)

At its simplest a fast is just a gap between meals - we tend to think in longer than "just while I'm asleep" terms - but that is where "breakfast" comes from?? If it worked for you to skip a meal, no problems with energy and how much you ate as a consequence (bingeing etc), that is a place to begin?? see how it affects you - if at all, take real notice of consequences. Some people LOVE long fasts, feel they derive myriad benefits from them. For others it can lead to some recurrence of eating problems - or even just overdoing it when you eat again. Find out which is you - or define your own criteria for success

I am no fan of "IF"ing though I generally have 16/18 hours between dinner and lunch? Not "IF", just what works for me. Wouldn't worry that that seems wrong for women by someone elses rules - unless it becomes an issue for me. I also have days where I do NOT have that long between meals - just as some days i need a snack.

SO, its personal, experiment on yourself and just like anyone doing an experiment keep track of "data" that results.

Helpful-er???
    I understand your frustration denise, but I don't think that workinhard would have read all the other threads about IF/the thread about skewing toward weight loss, so I don't think he would have understood the context.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast