Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Haggis! page 2

skinnybuddah is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Just to bump up the haggis debate again, I'm scottish and particularly fond of this mythical beast for breakfast...
    As I'm fairly new to Primal/Paleo eating (2 weeks in and loving it for various reasons I'll probably expand on at some point), anyway.
    Its the oat content that concerns me, are we saying its okay, as its not the the main content, (thinkin 80/20 here) or are we strickly saying oat free.... same concerns with blackpudding, which again has other good stuff going on in it.

And .... what about sausages, I'm looking at things with rusk and wheat flour in them, thats off right? Despite it being 97% meat??

Often think its incredible that we're the heart attack captial of the world here, despite all the fantastic local produce.....mind boggles at that one.

Thanks in advance guys

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    It depends on how strict you want to be skinnybuddah - I'm doing this for health reasons and although recognise that grains are not good for us, I don't have any major intolerance. So, I would probably eat good quality haggis once in a while and a bit of black pudding probably a bit more often than that.

Oh, and the haggis from Findlay's is much better than MacSweens

skinnybuddah is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for that spuddygirl, will look out for Findlays any stockists you can recommend?. (Actually had a look at Macsweens v Simon Howies today and MacSweens seemed lighter in oats)

I'm with ya on the black pudding....again same concerns eh, but I'm so looking forward to being in Harris again this year where I can breakfast on stornoway blackpudding and handdived scallops....

I'm keen to be as strict as I can to be honest, although I may keep out wheat/flour/breads 100% and allow a couple of treats like haggis and blackpudding a couple of times a month..

freerangepiglings is offline Senior Member
    I really love MacSween Haggis - this is one of the few things I really miss!

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    I always used to keep a Hall's haggis in the freezer (Tesco always have them on the shelves down here) - microwaves from frozen in a few minutes and browns up a bit like being fried (presumably the fat content) and perfect with tinned marrowfat peas.

Not on my current eating plan, but maybe occasionally in the future once I've shed the extra poundage. Hmmm, does make me think though, how would it taste to just mince up a load of liver and kidney along with regular lamb/mutton mince. Will have to give that a go I think.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    If your going through Foveran (north of Aberdeen) stop in to the farm butchers there "The Store" and get there own haggis and black pudding.. .yummmmmmmm much better than the comercial brands.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    The haggis segment starts at 3:44.

I'm wondering if you could primal-ize the recipe just by subbing white rice for the oatmeal?

Two recipes:

Actual Scottish Haggis - how to make it

A home-made haggis for a Burn's night dinner - Wilmington Irish Food | Examiner.com - this one uses less oats and cooks it in a casserole dish rather than a stomach.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Hi skinnybuddah, I'm sure there are butchers in Inverness that make far better haggisses with local ingredients than any you can get in the supermarket. If you are that concerned about the oats you could ask them to make you one without?

(I am not bothered by oats so I happily chow down on haggis whenever I get the chance... I love traditional specialities and a haggis is a lot more acceptable than a buttery!)

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I'm wondering if you could primal-ize the recipe just by subbing white rice for the oatmeal?
    Cauliflower? Hmmm, this I have got to try.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by awok677 View Post
    Cauliflower? Hmmm, this I have got to try.
    I would be okay with white rice, but the sheep stomach would be hard to find.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast