Thread: Intense workout after longer than 24 hour fast? page

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member

Intense workout after longer than 24 hour fast?

Primal Fuel
    Good idea or bad idea?

I did this today because for some reason I was not at all hungry yesterday morning so I just went with the flow and fasted into today. At which point I did my workout at 11 am and didn't eat until 3. Before this I hadn't eaten since 8:30pm monday.

I didn't have any diminished strength and I actually felt pretty good. Just wondering if this could lead to problems as I kind of enjoyed it.

js290 is offline Senior Member

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
    Good idea or bad idea?

I did this today because for some reason I was not at all hungry yesterday morning so I just went with the flow and fasted into today. At which point I did my workout at 11 am and didn't eat until 3. Before this I hadn't eaten since 8:30pm monday.

I didn't have any diminished strength and I actually felt pretty good. Just wondering if this could lead to problems as I kind of enjoyed it.
    Sounds like it turned out okay for ya so I'd give you my blessing to do it again. Personal experience should matter more than what a bunch of strangers or a textbook tells ya. After all, isn't a big theme of this site that conventional wisdom isn't always correct?
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
    Good idea or bad idea?

To play the evolution card (which I don’t always love to use) you could say that a hunter-gatherer would realistically go without food (assuming nothing had been gathered, I guess) for as long as you did, then attempt a hunt (intense workout) and if said hunt would fail he’d have no choice but to go without food again until someone else caught something.

Obviously a simplified look at it, but I’m sure it’s a scenario that has played out thousands of times. This is NOT to say that it’s an optimal thing, but as a “it just happened” I don’t see a problem with it. I wouldn’t go and do this all the time though, just because I don’t think I’d personally enjoy it. I get more satisfaction out of having a hard workout then giving my body nutrients.

denise is offline Senior Member
    I'd say - planning to do it "whatever" + BAD idea. Doing it cos thats how it panned out and you felt fine + absolutely fine.

Do think after 24 hour fast and hard workout you need to be sure to "refule" properly and in time - i.e. before your poor old body panics and sends you running to whatever food is to hand and far too much of it!!

I work out fasted every day I work out - not 24 hours more like the usual 14 ish (cos I skip breakfast to workout) which means a usual 16/18 hour fast daily I guess 9if you want to put it like that). Works well for me - not as a "fast", just as how I eat/workout.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    If you felt fine, then fine.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Arikara6 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'd say better you than me - and depends on your view of what an "intense" workout is. I tried an IF prior to an intense workout once (and no-where near your duration of fast) and my lift and I suffered. Ended up getting the s**t knocked out of me.

Like it's been said before - whatever works for you brother. If your intensity hasn't suffered, you may be on to something for yourself.