Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Actively avoid ketosis? page

shrona is offline Member

Actively avoid ketosis?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Do you actively avoid (or try to achieve) ketosis? If so, what is your reason?

I tracked for the first time, and came to realize it is easy to slip below 10% carbs just eating eggs, meat, and veggies. I've been reading some of Kurt Harris' stuff (paleonu.com), and he has a few posts on ketosis which I sort of understand. He now avoids ketosis by eating 20% carbs, but I am curious what others are doing!

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    I don't worry about it. I came here from Atkins (by the book, not the product line, don't get me started) so I don't consider ketosis to be a problem.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Why would you want to avoid ketosis? Ketosis is GOOD.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Ketosis makes my pee smell funny..

the bacon hut is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_o View Post
    Ketosis makes my pee smell funny..
    Ketosis leaves a funny taste in my mouth. Only asparagus makes my pee smell funny. But I don't try to avoid either of them.

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    Hell I'm around 5% energy from carbs and totally happy right there. That's even with heavy weight lifting every other day and a brisk walk at least 5 times a week. I keep at it because I love the long lasting energy that ketosis provides and because it means I'll never have to worry about my blood sugar again (yay!)
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Iirc, he's avoiding ketosis now mostly b/c he massively upped his physical activity, appetite did not increase and he was loosing weight. There sugar are benefits to ketosis (ie fasting) and it's wroth it to go there a couple times a week for the autophagy and mitochonidrial energy production boost. (see one of E Deans recent blog posts on evolutionarypsychiatry).

It's probably good to visit ketosis regularly but not live there and never leave it, yk? Variation is good for us.

peril is offline Senior Member
    I find I usually slip into ketosis (at least from the taste in my mouth) during workouts, but I generally eat shortly after, which may or may not knock me straight out. Would there be benefit delaying the meal or at least having a VLC meal so I stayed in ketosis longer?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

ilikesubtitles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Iirc, he's avoiding ketosis now mostly b/c he massively upped his physical activity, appetite did not increase and he was loosing weight. There sugar are benefits to ketosis (ie fasting) and it's wroth it to go there a couple times a week for the autophagy and mitochonidrial energy production boost. (see one of E Deans recent blog posts on evolutionarypsychiatry).

It's probably good to visit ketosis regularly but not live there and never leave it, yk? Variation is good for us.

But doesn't it take a couple of days for your body to really be in ketosis anyway? So if you spent every Monday and Wednesday, for example, eating under 30g carbs, but eating more all other days, wouldn't you have never entered ketosis? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I don't own a scale and don't care to!

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I don't really worry about it... I try to stay under 100g carbs a day but not necessarily under 50, although I think some days it is under 50g. I suppose, though, that if I did stick to ketosis I would lose weight faster, but right now I'm having some trouble eating just meat and vegetables, and it would be hard for me to stick to this plan without fruit (in the form of berries).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast