Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I jumping too far too soon? page

bandit is offline Junior Member

Am I jumping too far too soon?

Primal Fuel
    Today is day 2 in going primal and switching from a procrastination exercise program (I swear I'll start tomorrow) to Marks program. That being said, I just signed up for a Barefoot 5K at the end of May. Can I adjust my self to barefoot in 3+ months? Am I being over-enthusiastic? Or is it "got to make it work now, I have a deadline to not embarass myself at"? Time will tell

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I think that depends on

a) How much running you're used to
    and
    b) How much barefoot walking/running you've done
    and
    c) Particularly if the answers to (a) and (b) are "not much"....How gradually you ramp up toward the barefoot 5K

I LOVE barefoot, but I've read so many accounts of people going from regular shoes to barefoot and trying to run too far too fast, resulting in injury. I spent 3 months walking/hiking in Vibrams before I started exercising in them and have avoided any injuries--in fact, my problematic knee has been trouble free since the switch.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    You'll be fine. Focus on the strength and mobility stuff and don't hurt yourself overtraining for the run.
    Do some running at least once a week including a decent warm up 500-750 meters to find your pace, and then do some sprints.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    To adjust to barefoot running you're going to have to jog more than once a week. Your feet and legs are quite simply NOT used to it if you've never done it before. I dabbled for many months, eventually being able to do a 5k as part of a training session, but it took a while before my calves stopped being sore, my heels stopped bothering me and my Achilles heel to stretch out.

Start by walking around barefoot in your house as often as you can, going up and down the steps, doing a short jog every now and then (in the house still) to get used to the way your foot is supposed to land. Then set out to soft grass and do the same, try a quarter mile jog, take the next 2 days off and see how sore you are (if at all, but chances are you'll be a little sore) then take it back to the grass/turf for more jogging and gradually work up to the 3 miles.

However, you don't have to run/jog the 5k once it's time for it, if you couldn't train properly for it, it's ok to walk some of it or all of it.

Noctiluca is online now Senior Member
    Plus having a goal like that is a GREAT motivator!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i would say that prepping for the race depends on a lot of factors -- are you a runner already, or are you starting from scratch?

if you have never been a runner and are starting from scratch, i think you can start training and work your way up to it no worries.

if, like my husband, you're a flat-footed, long-term, ridiculously competitive, perfectionistic distance runner, then NO. LOL it will take my DH a long while to get into barefoot running. he currently does his twice-a-week runs with vibrams for 10 mins, and the remaining 20 minutes in regular shoes. it's taking it's own time.

bandit is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the quick feedback. I ran a marathon 8 yrs ago when I turned 30, but after all the training it took to get to the 26.2 I quit everything and have not found motivation to get back into an exercise routine for any length of time. I would say I am starting from scratch. Luckily I know my limitations and am not afraid to walk if it comes down to it. I did in the marathon and still am proud of the accomplishment.

iniQuity: I can't wait to jog on the soft grass, only another month or two and hopefully the snow will melt and I can see some!

Go-Pre is offline Member
    Along with short barefoot/five finger training runs - you may drop down to racing flats for some of your runs - to help adjust. Good luck!

Baglady is offline Junior Member
    I was just thinking that if the Couch to 5k program can really get a non runner up to speed in 9 weeks then why wouldn't it work for a barefoot not recently seasoned runner too?
    Bags
    Primal Since 10/2009

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I would say no. Don't do it.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast