Thread: EPA:DHA Ratios page

supersellen is offline Senior Member

EPA:DHA Ratios

For those of you that take fish oil, what amounts of EPA vs. DHA do you take? From what I understand, DHA is more easily absorbed by the body and more important than EPA for brain and cardiovascular function. I am currently at a 1:1 ratio (Carlsons EPA/DHA oil supplemented with DHA capsules), and am curious about what others take and why.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

There's no hard and fast precedent for this. Some applications call for higher EPA amounts compared to DHA, and others vise-versa.

Supplementing DHA, on top of your fish oil to maintain 1:1 could be seen as over-thinking the whole thing. If that makes you happy, and makes you feel good, then more power to you. Otherwise, just take a high quality fish oil/cod liver oil, and don't worry. :-)

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UndergroundNutritionist View Post
    There's no hard and fast precedent for this. Some applications call for higher EPA amounts compared to DHA, and others vise-versa.

Supplementing DHA, on top of your fish oil to maintain 1:1 could be seen as over-thinking the whole thing. If that makes you happy, and makes you feel good, then more power to you. Otherwise, just take a high quality fish oil/cod liver oil, and don't worry. :-)
    Well, I am also increasing the DHA because I am currently trying to conceive, but besides that, I like to get the most I can out of the little supplementing I do, since they aren't cheap. If I am going to pay for decent supplements, I want to be sure I am getting what I need to out of them, which may be viewed as over-thinking.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Nordic Naturals make fish oil capsules that focus on DHA or EPA (they also make them regular). For my money, NN makes the best fish based supplements out there.

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    I take one tsp daily of Nutrisea liquid fish oil which is 500 mg DHA and 750 mg EPA.

http://www.ascentahealth.com/products/human/nutrasea/

Through Pure Check, Ascenta tests every batch of product and posts all results on its website. This is a third-party testing program to evaluate fish oil quality, purity and label claims.

I also get a fair bit of omega 3 from fatty fish, flax oil and walnuts.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member