Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supplements for insulin control? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Supplements for insulin control?

I'm thinking about starting myself on ALA and Ceylon cinnamon to help with my blood sugar. I keep having issues with spikes and crashes even though I've been primal for a month with minimal fruit/sugar. Are there any other supplements I should look into to help with it? Thanks!

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    I would do a little reading beforehand since I'm obviously not a doctor who can prescribe/recommend stuff, but my dad is diabetic and takes GTF Chromium and says it helps.

You know I used to take Chromium, but I finally connected it with headaches I was having. Appreciate the suggestion tho!

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    A spoonful of cinnamon sugar (wet with water) every morning should help. I've never heard of Ceylon cinnamon... does that mean that the cinnamon comes from Sri Lanka? I know that when my mother would give me cinnamon every morning, the cinnamon powder was from India.

Ceylon is supposed to be the "true" cinnamon and apparently cassia has been connected to liver toxicity amongst other problems yet that's what most cinnamon supplements are comprised of ironically enough. Ceylon is the only one supposed to be used for blood sugar stabilization.

Wouldn't the sugar mixed with the cinnamon defeat the purpose? I mean sugar is what is driving my blood sugar crazy and causing my crashes right?

Oops that was a typo haha. It should be just cinnamon... it was too early in the morning! Yeah, just cinnamon, LOL.

kbn1 is offline Senior Member
    Vanadium and zinc are suppose to be good for blood sugar control. What form and how much chromium were you taking?

Although sometimes my mother would give me the cinnamon mixed with a little bit of honey, which is the traditional ayurvedic way of treating insulin resistance or diabetes. That also seems counter-intuitive, though, thinking about it, since honey = sugar.

LOL...you had me worried there for a second Imasin!

KBN1, I was taking this http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Plus...-Sugar-Control

And how much zinc for sugar control? I know I get some in my multivitamin, but I'm sure it's not enough to make a difference. Thanks!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by imasin View Post
    Although sometimes my mother would give me the cinnamon mixed with a little bit of honey, which is the traditional ayurvedic way of treating insulin resistance or diabetes. That also seems counter-intuitive, though, thinking about it, since honey = sugar.
    I've heard of the honey thing for diabetics actually. And if I use sugar in anything I try to make sure it is raw honey. For some reason it's rumored not supposed to affect your insulin levels as much. I'm with you tho...sugar is sugar imo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast