Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I`m on a ? asking roll lol.....CW page

pattyd is offline Senior Member

I`m on a ? asking roll lol.....CW

Shop Now
    Ok, so my brain has been trained through years of reading health and fitness material that dropping below 1200 cals per day is bad and sends your body into starvation mode. True or False?
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    It can depending on what kind of stuff you’re eating. 1200 calories of chips = starvation, 1200 calories of meat and veggies = not starvation, but possibly eating too little depending on many factors such as age, height, weight, body composition goals, activity level, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    It can depending on what kind of stuff you’re eating. 1200 calories of chips = starvation, 1200 calories of meat and veggies = not starvation, but possibly eating too little depending on many factors such as age, height, weight, body composition goals, activity level, etc.
    no no no chips! lol.I mean primal foods. Sometimes I have a hard time getting in as many cals as "they" say I`m supposed to. For the past week I`ve hovered around 1200....I do P90X 6 days a week, I`m 46 (as of yesterday),5'7",144 lbs, 19% BF.....

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i've heard that eating less than 1200 calories in a day puts you in starvation mode too. i don't buy it. i've also heard that it takes three full days without food to go into starvation mode, and lower your metabolism. not sure about that one either.
    i'm not entirely sure what starvation mode even is. ketosis?
    if you have bodyfat, your body will use that for fuel. i say starvation mode for everybody.

denise is offline Senior Member
    ok, I may sound unhelpful and I don't mean to be, but as you are a relative newbie I think tracking and worrying about calories is going to get in your way. Unless this is a weight loss diet in your mind - and I don't buy into that but hey, its "your Primal" as much as mine - in which case at your weight right now, to achieve weight loss you might need to watch calories/

Seems just WRONG to me, so i am going to shut up now.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Starvation mode happens to people that aren’t nourishing their bodies. You can eat and never get nourishment (the chip diet, for instance)

I’m not qualified to tell you how much to eat, if you feel good with your 1200 cals and doing p90x then more power to you. Personally I’d eat a little more but I’m not familiar enough with p90x to tell you how much to eat.

I reckon if people are getting their meat, fat and veggies then they’re good. Listen to your body though, if you’re dragging ass and mentally foggy, you need to eat more, if when you get up you’re dizzy, you need to eat more.

I think once you’re done with p90x, you can still do those workouts, just skip a day instead so your body has time to rest and adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i've heard that eating less than 1200 calories in a day puts you in starvation mode too. i don't buy it. i've also heard that it takes three full days without food to go into starvation mode, and lower your metabolism. not sure about that one either.
    i'm not entirely sure what starvation mode even is. ketosis?
    if you have bodyfat, your body will use that for fuel. i say starvation mode for everybody.
    It`s explained as your metabolism slowing down and that your body will store all the calories for fat for future "starvation" episodes...

Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    ok, I may sound unhelpful and I don't mean to be, but as you are a relative newbie I think tracking and worrying about calories is going to get in your way. Unless this is a weight loss diet in your mind - and I don't buy into that but hey, its "your Primal" as much as mine - in which case at your weight right now, to achieve weight loss you might need to watch calories/

Seems just WRONG to me, so i am going to shut up now.
    Lol denise..you don`t need to shut up now. No, it`s not a weight loss diet for me either; it`s all about getting as healthy as I can and for me it helps me to track my foods so I can see what I`m taking in and if I need to tweak anything. If I don`t track I don`t know my ratios of carbs to protein to fat. It`s not only about tracking the cals;it`s the whole big picture.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Gary Taubes writes about this in Why We Get Fat. Highly recommend it.

This book has made the "eat until you aren't hungry any more" refrain finally make some sense to me. I still think some of us may need conscious calorie restriction in the short run to lose fat (especially if we aren't willing to drop sugar/fruit/nuts), but I do get why folks who do the "Whole 30" are able to eat as much as they want and still drop fat. It's all about the carbs!

Bodhi is offline Senior Member
    Check out all the articles on "IF". Starvation mode is not necessarily a bad thing, just don't stay there too long.
    ...how do you look, feel, and perform? -- Robb Wolf

My Blog.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast