Thread: Help with IF page

pattyd is offline Senior Member

Help with IF

Primal Fuel
    Hi guys. I`m having a hard time wrapping my brain around intermittent fasting. I`ve read leangains and I`ve read a bit on the forums and for whatever reason I`m still confused as to how to do it. Is it just like regular fasting? You pick a length of time in which you ingest nothing but water? Thanks for helping this newbie
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Yup, it's just plain ol' fasting... done intermittently. Well... sometimes? A lot of people do scheduled or daily fasts, so there's no "intermittent."

You can do it a number of ways: let it happen naturally, choose a fasting window, don't eat in the mornings, etc. It's something most people experiment a bit with. Start slow and see how you feel when you do it, then think about whether you want to make it a regular part of your lifestyle.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Yes, basically fasting is dedicating time to other things besides eating. Everybody in the world does an overnight fast (or whenever they sleep if they sleep in the daytime) but not everybody purposely goes without food longer than that.

I extend my fast by skipping breakfast, so, assuming my last meal is at 7pm which it usually is, then I consider my starting hour to be 8pm, by 8am the following day I’ve fasted for 12 hours, I have a cup of coffee with heavy cream at 7am which some folks argue technically breaks your fast, but it’s more like pressing pause on it, as it resumes the second your body digests the fat in the cream which doesn’t take a long time considering you’ve nothing else in your stomach. I eat lunch at 1pm almost religiously now, so my Monday thru Friday fasts average 16 to 17 hours, sometimes more, rarely less.

Going without cream is probably just slightly more beneficial, I did it during whole30, but its impossible to say if that played a major role since whole30 was the cleanest I ever ate in my life so it’s too hard to say what particular change helped budge fat loss.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    patrick pretty much nailed it.

it's a good idea to ease into it. i started by skipping breakfast, then skipping breakfast and eating a late lunch, and eventually realized i was eating according to a clock, not my hunger.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Yup, it's just plain ol' fasting... done intermittently. Well... sometimes? A lot of people do scheduled or daily fasts, so there's no "intermittent."

You can do it a number of ways: let it happen naturally, choose a fasting window, don't eat in the mornings, etc. It's something most people experiment a bit with. Start slow and see how you feel when you do it, then think about whether you want to make it a regular part of your lifestyle.
    Thanks Patrick. I normally don`t eat breakfast until at least 10 a.m. after my workout so am I already fasting considering I didn`t eat through the night or is that not long enough? I`m looking to train my body into burning the fat that seems to reside on my butt and upper thighs...oh the woes of a woman lol.....and I`m wondering if IF`ing would help? Thoughts?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyd View Post
    Thanks Patrick. I normally don`t eat breakfast until at least 10 a.m. after my workout so am I already fasting considering I didn`t eat through the night or is that not long enough? I`m looking to train my body into burning the fat that seems to reside on my butt and upper thighs...oh the woes of a woman lol.....and I`m wondering if IF`ing would help? Thoughts?
    Well sadly there’s absolutely nothing you can do to make your body burn fat in specific areas (without getting into foreign chemicals that target certain types of adipose tissue that reside in certain areas of the body, such as buns and thighs) but IF should help you “use” up stored body fat certainly.

You should read Theleansaloon.com I find that approach to fasting to be friendlier and easier to understand than leangains.com

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    That's probably sufficient, assuming you finish eating by 8 pm.

I think that eliminating all sugar/fruit/nuts can do a lot for folks wanting to lose stubborn fat. If you aren't doing this, and keeping your total carbs below 50, then I wouldn't bother with IFing

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    That's probably sufficient, assuming you finish eating by 8 pm.

I think that eliminating all sugar/fruit/nuts can do a lot for folks wanting to lose stubborn fat. If you aren't doing this, and keeping your total carbs below 50, then I wouldn't bother with IFing
    My total carbs usually are below 50 .....I do snack on almonds however. The form of sugar I get would be in my nightly glass of red vino ..... hmmmm....how bad do I want the fat loss?? lol

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My total carbs usually are below 50 .....I do snack on almonds however. The form of sugar I get would be in my nightly glass of red vino ..... hmmmm....how bad do I want the fat loss?? lol
    Indeed! Once you drop the fat, you may be able to add the wine back in. I am seeing that for some of us--any sugar will keep our insulin levels high enough to hold onto the fat.