Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PBF vs. SimpleFit page

Darbbb is offline Member

PBF vs. SimpleFit

Shop Now
    I am about to finish up a round of P90x. Though I am enjoying my sense of commitment and completion, Im pretty sure the workouts have over-trained me. So, it's almost time to move on to something new and perhaps more primal/paleo-appropriate. I am considering two approaches...one is PBF, and the other is Simple Fit. I would love to hear from people who have tried one or the other (or better yet, both) and feel like recommending for or against one program vs. the other. Thanks.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    SimpleFit is PBF. Just add in the plank and shoulder presses after your SimpleFit stuff, if you want. Personally, I don't see the need. Those secondary areas get worked quite a bit by just doing SimpleFit.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    I'm loving simplefit, and also enjoyed PBF when I was doing it. PBF got a little boring for me so I chose to try simplefit to switch it up. (I've only been doing simplefit a little over a month I think, so this could TOTALLY happen w/ simplefit as well--I get bored easily--but I'm not feeling how I felt when doing PBF right now--feel like I'm enjoying it a bit more. This could also be due to my continually improving fitness level--the more I work out, the more I LOVE it instead of think of it as a chore/something I should do, ykwim?

PBF--2x a week, great progressions/variations on each movement, but may take a little longer (timewise) each workout than simplefit (PBF would take me 20-25 min when I was doing it, simplefit is always 20 min or less--often 5-10 for the 2 timed workouts--I love fast stuff!) I found after a couple months of doing PBF I was bored. Although doing the WOWs helped change things up a lot when I chose to do them.

Simplefit--3x a week, each workout is a little different (although you're only doing pull ups, push ups and squats) and that makes it feel quite varied. There are many levels (moreso than in PBF imo--although PBF has more variations on each exersize in some ways--if you get more advanced w/ simplefit there are lots of alternate movements though...) and that also can keep you feeling motivated. You've got goals to make it to the next level in a certain amount of time, which can be fun if you like personal challenges like that. And the levels move quickly at times which can make you really see/feel your progress. Simplefit does not include the planks/overhead press aspect of PBF, but I personally do LOTS of planks/side planks and handstands/overhead press stuff during my very regular yoga practice, so I don't feel I'm missing out.

I'm loving simplefit right now, but would say try *both* and see what you think, and choose what works for you right now. You could always do the simplefit stuff as Patrick said and add in the overhead press and plank stuff from PBF if you wanted. Or do simplefit one week, PBF the next, etc. Whatever you choose, it will be a LOT less of a time commitment than P90X that's for sure! I would also be sure, if using simplefit, to keep in the sprints and the moving slowly aspects of PBF. (I'm sure some don't, but I think they are important.) I think of simplefit as a substitute for my LHT only.

I'm absolutely noticing big improvements doing simplefit, but I think all I did w/ PBF also contributed to this, I've just been hitting and improving all these goal marks I had (chin ups, pull ups, etc) and it feels like I'm progressing more quickly which is super exciting! And I'm still interested in it, not bored, which is huge for me! And my husband who has basically never worked out consistently has been doing this for at least 2 weeks w/ me, no complaints, and wants to continue (HUGE!!!)

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck figuring out what works best for you!!
    Last edited by FairyRae; 02-23-2011 at 10:42 AM.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

The Big L is offline Senior Member
    Everything FairyRae just said, minus the bit about the husband; I was bored with PBF, gave SF a try, and I'm having fun with it so far. In addition:

- I like that SF has more built-in emphasis on endurance. PBF can of course be made more endurance-oriented simply by reducing the rest between sets and/or cycles. So technically PBF is more flexible than SF when it comes to strength vs endurance.

- The structure of SF lends itself to more reps per week than PBF, at least compared to the standard 2-day-per-week PBF schedule. You'll likely be moving the same weight (your body) a lot more times per week with SF. For me it seems to work out to 30%+ more reps per week with SF. The primary reason is that...

- ...SF specifically avoids training to muscle failure, whereas PBF does not (to be fair, I don't think PBF recommends training to failure, but Mark does say you should give "max effort" on each set. To me, that implies going until you can't complete a positive rep.). It's a lot easier to do 15 pull-ups when they're only done three at a time, separated by 10 pushups and 16 squats. If you're used to training to/near failure, and/or are convinced that it is the best way to reach your fitness goals, then you may not like the SF approach.

- Because of PBF's "max effort" approach, every time you touch the pull-up bar you are trying to match or surpass your previous PR. At least that's how it worked out for me: four times a week I looked up at that bar and wondered, "Am I good enough today? Do I have enough gas in the tank? Am I going to fail?" I felt like I was constantly being pressured to win-or-else, and I felt like a failure if I didn't at least tie my PR each time I did a set. Granted, something similar could happen with SF -- I could complete fewer rounds or take longer to do it than the previous week. But at least I'm not facing judgment day each and every time I grab the pull-up bar, or get ready to do a set of pushups. For this reason, SF is more enjoyable for me so far.

Ok, I want to stop short while I still have fewer words typed than FairyRae. It's rare to find someone more verbose than I am, and I want to savor the novelty of it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big L View Post
    Ok, I want to stop short while I still have fewer words typed than FairyRae. It's rare to find someone more verbose than I am, and I want to savor the novelty of it.
    Lol! I'll take it as a compliment, and do enjoy BigL!

I just never got that brevity thing down... I could go on, but I'm on the run hee hee...
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

The Big L is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    Lol! I'll take it as a compliment, and do enjoy BigL!
    Well, certainly I'd be a bit of a hypocrite if I meant it as an insult!

I just never got that brevity thing down... I could go on, but I'm on the run hee hee...
    If you're not into the whole brevity thing, then you, uh...uh...uh, end up saying a lot of words, man! Am I wrong?

(May be my shortest post yet! )
    My Before/After Pics

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    "And the award goes to. . . ."

"Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    "And the award goes to. . . ."

My Before/After Pics

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    The format of day 1 (endurance) -- many iterations of a short circuit -- is similar to what I've read of metcons and (some) HIITs. Is this an appropriate observation, or am I talking out of my ass?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast