Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redneck kettlebell page

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member

Redneck kettlebell

I was scrounging for something....anything! to use last night for my LHT since we were in the midst of a snowstorm, I had a sick kid, and need to do something besides sit on my ass and rock. I've been lusting after kettlebells, but a)I'm a tightass and b) I'm broke since my roomie is moving out, so cheap of the week is in.

What did I find?

I found a jug of kitty litter. In a plastic 'jug' with a tight fitting lid and a handle. Weighed in at 18 pounds. (I had a cat, once upon a time, but she became coyote poo about a year ago.)

I decided that the kitty litter bottle is awesome. (One could also use sand, but I had none. So "clumping, deodorized clay' it was).

"Kettlebell swings", squats, and circles, all 'tabata'd', and I was a drippy, sweaty, jello-y mess. I figured I could use it for a week, get all my sets in, add two cups of water (= one pound) and give it a good slosh to combine, and gradually increase the weight. It'll soak up a serious amount of water, and I can add/remove weight as needed when I get to that point.

I suspect it could be used for a quasi-medicine ball as well. Going to give that a run tonight and see how it works, after I swing past Follets for some hockey tape (or anything else I can find for some grip).

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member
    That's a fantastic idea!

Also, I made a 25lb medicine ball out of a basketball, sand and gorilla tape.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I've used gallon milk jugs and clay before, when I didn't have any weights
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Now, THAT is resourcefulness!

I use a 16-pound bag of cat food as a "carcass" to drag about and carry and toss. (This is a heavy, challenging weight for me.) The bag material is sort of thick nylon-ish, so it holds up well to being dragged.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

I had the same thought when I went out to feed the horse last night, and lugged a 40 pound bag of timothy pellets in and dumped it.

"I wonder how long it would take for the guys in white coats to come get me if I packed THAT down the street on my walk with the dog?"

LOL.

I may have to test that theory come spring.

Diana-A medicine ball is next on my list if the kitty litter jug (that still makes me snicker...but hey, better than just tossing it!) doesn't work out. I made a 'weenie ball' out of an empty plastic coffee can and lid and-ahem, wet kitty litter It's 'setting' a bit to dry right now, but til I can scrounge a BB, it'll have to do. In the meantime, I can build some strength and whatnot.

TL-I think I'm going to spring on that. Cheap cat food is uber cheap, and being used as a sand bag is the best use FOR the stuff.

However, I'm pretty sure my son thinks I've flipped my lid. He told my mom I was in my room playing with cat litter.

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I've used gallon milk jugs and clay before, when I didn't have any weights
    That was my first thought, but since I can't do dairy, all my milk jugs are long gone! I do have a nearly empty gallon vinegar jug that I'm going to use, as soon as I can find a smaller jar for the AVC.

Barefoot Paul is offline Senior Member
    Being a student I have tons of old textbooks that aren't worth it to sell. I put as many of these suckers as I could fit in a duffel bag and use that for weights. It's pretty heavy, but I've got no idea how much it actually weighs.

bandit is offline Junior Member
    I love it! I was also looking for kettlebells but I am also a tightass and spent enough on groceries yesterday to curb my spending needs. Resourcefullness is a great thing!

geostump is offline Senior Member
    OMG, this is briliant!!!! I am going to have to try this now!

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    When training for a certification hike for Search, I used to hike with a 20 pound bag of dog food and 2 10 pound barbell plates in my pack.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast