Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its working!!! page

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member

Its working!!!

Shop Now
    Got on the scale this morning....I know....I shouldnt do that...but old habits die hard and it is a relative piece of data to assess how the lifestyle change is working. Its not as good as measuring with a tape measure or feeling how the original clothes fit. But its quicker than all of those (and it can be done when naked and getting into the shower!!!)

Anyway, as of this morning Im 17 lbs down from my starting weight. So, while I have slown down in weight loss to 1lbs or so every 1.5 weeks....I am still losing. And apparently, Im losing fat. I guess that explains the slowness????

One question I do have for those of you out there who have lost large amounts of bodyfat (20lbs +) with living Primal....does it stay this slow??? I estimate that I need to lose at least another 20lbs of fat to get where I want to be at a lean 10% bodyfat. At this rate...I will be looking at getting there sometime in 2012. If all goes as planned.

One other thing, I am not interested in losing any muscle mass. In fact, I personally want to maintain what I have MORE than losing bodyfat. So, again, for you experienced, lean folks out there...did you find you were as muscular as before Primal when you got to where you wanted to be with your body weight/body fat/ image????

Any advice will be devoured and appreciated.....
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    WOW! Congratulations, mate. Post some pictures!
    Little Saiyan

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Don't rush it or overthink it, man. If you're stressing about being Primal, it just becomes another crash diet where you're only focused on the goal. Enjoy the trip and the gains you are and will continue to make along the way.

I know it's kinda frustrating, but you gotta let the lifestyle do its thing. You'll also hit plateaus and then serious progress spikes. I just hit a multi-week spike, so to speak, after a 6-7 week plateau.

So if you're down 17 lb and have been losing 1.5 per week, are you three months into being Primal? If so, I'd say that's a wee bit slow. I personally found that I went from 207 lb to 190 lb in a month, and then it was seven more weeks til I hit 183 lb. I stayed within a pound of 183 for about 8 weeks. I'm now at 178 lb. I don't expect to hit 170 lb for another two months, to be honest. Fat loss slows down as you begin to approach what your body considers your ideal, healthy weight. That's been my experience, anyway.

Getting to around 14-16% BF isn't too tough, but you might need to employ some IF and good sprints (and heavy lifting, etc) to drop below that and into the 10-12% range. I haven't gotten there yet, but I hear it's quite the threshold to break through.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    Well done dude. 1lb every couple of weeks sounds about right to me, and it'll get slower as you go on; but the key point to hold onto is that unlike your CW self, you are gradually losing fat over time, not gaining it - no matter how slow the process.

As for muscle, make sure protein is the focal point of your meals, and try IFing - it does all sorts of stuff to your hormones that both burns stubborn fat and spares muscle mass. Check out leangains if you want for more info.

Leangains page on stubborn fat

edit: and yes, sprinting. Definitely sprinting.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Well, great! I'd recommend you work on building your muscles, and at least that way you won't lose much. That rate of fat loss seems kinda slow, but 6 months of it is nearly 20 lb which is very easy to notice, and it will provide you with enough nutrition to simultaneously increase your overall fitness.

nachobrawler is offline Senior Member
    @Patrick...no, I am not quite 2 months into Primal. I started 01-04-11. So, in ~50 days I have dropped 17 lbs. I personally think most of it is fat & water, based on how my clothes fit and my strength in the gym. The other thing I did when starting primal was to get very consistent with my lifting. I have been lifting for the majority of my life on and off. So, know I am hitting it every other day. Heavy weights, low reps and some cardio (`10-20 mins mostly for warming up). In and out of the gym in 60 mins. I'll look into the IF thing. I have read a little about it (and I always work out on an empty stomach. Its just after exercise that its hard for me. Im starving!). Maybe I can shake up some future plateaus with it. Right now, Im 231 and want to get to 210. I started at 248. But if I cant make 210 on the scale then I want to get into 34" waist pants. That is my alternate goal...

@Primal...thanks for the post and confidence booster. I will check out leangains today.

@ikaika....Im not ready for pictures yet. I dont want to demotivate anyone!!!!
    If you can just get your....mind together....then come on across to me.....
    James Marshall (Jimi)Hendrix

coach81 is offline Senior Member
    Congrats.. and keep on. keepin' on!!!

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nachobrawler View Post
    @Patrick...no, I am not quite 2 months into Primal. I started 01-04-11. So, in ~50 days I have dropped 17 lbs.
    That's awesome! Yes, it might be a bit of water, but your body is clearly doing the right thing. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about IF'ing yet. Everyone has their own opinion on it, but I think it's best when you IF accidentally first: "Wait... did I even eat lunch? Huh -- cool!" It's a great thing to incorporate but I'm more in favour of the "let it happen when it happens" approach. Then start to think about planned IF (as it were), like Leangains, other fasting/eating windows, a weekly 24-hour fast, whatever works for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by nachobrawler View Post
    Right now, Im 231 and want to get to 210. I started at 248. But if I cant make 210 on the scale then I want to get into 34" waist pants. That is my alternate goal...
    Those sound like solid goals to me. As it says in my sig, I started out at 36/37" and I'm now down to the last notch on my belt (which I had to have stamped at a shoe repair store, actually). I'm now at the same waist size I had 16 years ago in high-school! It'll alter over time as I lean out, and if I pack muscle there.

Weight goals are tricky because of how people's bodies react and reconfigure. Sometimes weight doesn't change (or it increases!) but your clothes are looser and you look leaner and/or just plain more healthy.

Set two-month measurement points. If you do it every month (or weekly or whatever), you might find yourself weighing/measuring during a plateau period and get bummed out by apparent lack of movement.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    I can tell you that fat loss and weight loss are not always in sync. I started at 231 last October, am now ~216 (haven't checked in a few weeks). That's not a shocking or heroic amount of actual weight loss, but I've moved down a pants size (almost two, from 40 to 38/36), had to buy a bunch of new shirts, and my wife wants to bone me all the time. By any measure, that's success. So, as you pointed out, don't get hung up on scale weight. That'll happen eventually. I think your goals of pants size and BF% are probably better indicators of how you are doing and how successful you are.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    don't rush it or overthink it, man. If you're stressing about being primal, it just becomes another crash diet where you're only focused on the goal. Enjoy the trip and the gains you are and will continue to make along the way.

I know it's kinda frustrating, but you gotta let the lifestyle do its thing. You'll also hit plateaus and then serious progress spikes. I just hit a multi-week spike, so to speak, after a 6-7 week plateau.

Fat loss slows down as you begin to approach what your body considers your ideal, healthy weight. That's been my experience, anyway.

Getting to around 14-16% bf isn't too tough, but you might need to employ some if and good sprints (and heavy lifting, etc) to drop below that and into the 10-12% range.
    +1

(and congrats!!!)
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast