Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just made buffalo jerky! page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Fuel

I got that $3.99 a pound on sale shoulder roast buffalo at Hole Foods. Sliced it as think as I could with just a serrated knife. If you can get your butcher to run it through his slicer, so much the better. Or maybe slightly freeze.

I soaked it overnight with Dales Low Sodium Marinade. Very common, basically Korean BB sauce with less salt. I put it in a ziplock and let it sit on the counter overnight.

In the AM I put the strips and chunks on some 1/4" hardware cloth I had and put the oven on lowest low. Even that got to 200 degrees per thermometers, higher than the suggested 140. Oh, well.

After about ten hours, the meat is a lot lighter, but the color is black from the soak. Easy to eat, I'm guessing that 200 degree stint cooked it well.

Yum!

Tarlach is offline Member

You can leave the oven door ajar for a better result.

The moist air can then escape and your jerky should be ready much quicker (4 hours, maybe less if thin?).

P.S watch the sugar content of purchased marinades

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

kjake55 Guest

You had your oven on for 10 hours? Is there any other way to dry the meat? It sounds like a huge energy expense for some jerky meat.

The amount of water coming off of 1 1/2 pounds of meat is nothing to leave the door open for. Especially if I'm peaking often.

The amount of sugar from any marinade that is left on the meat and that I would eat is inconsequential.

The oven is on as low as it would go. It's not like baking or anything. Out of the many times I looked at the controls, it was cycling on for perhaps 5% of the times. I.e., it was off FAR more than on. And the cost isn't the reason I did it. For the fun and experience.

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

well the cost of leaving the oven on sure outweighs the costly price of finding some natural jerky!

I can't even find any and on the web it is very pricey! I am gonna get some meat and try this very soon! thank you OTB! xoxo Darlene

You bet, xoxo! Just google "how do I make jerky" and you will get lots of hits. Most are pretty similar in instructions. I wish I had put some habanero sauce into the marinade.

Very, very lean meat is one important factor. The buffalo, is, of course. Some of those sites will tell you the best beef cuts.

If there was some line of fat in the cut, I just left it. I think, and this is just a hunch, that if you aren't keeping the jerky forever at room temp, you can have a lot more fat in it. Something like a skirt steak, lots of lines of fat vs. big honkin' masses of it. It would be easier to chew, too.

I've nibbled more - surprise, surprise! - and at that temp and time even the thicker parts are very edible.

Tarlach is offline Member

Meat is roughly 75% water. Just 1.5 lb of meat has over a pint of water in it.

Leaving the oven door open a crack should help reduce the humidity of the oven whilst trying to dry meat.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

maba is offline Senior Member

OTB, that sounds simple to make. I might make a trip to the hala store today to buy some goat. I'm tempted to try it with goat meat marinated in Indian spices. Does the meat have to be lean?

maba, yes, see my comments.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Congrats maba!

One question, is it possible to make big batches of it with the same amount of work? I'd hate to go through all the hassle just for small snacks.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast