Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kettlebells page

HonuRacer is offline Senior Member

Kettlebells

Shop Now
    I got my first Kettlebells today. It's been a bit of a pain trying to get a pair. But London Drugs had them, only in 15 lbs though.

How long do I stay with the weight before I move up to something heavier? I used to lift weights in high school on a universal gym. I would add more weight when the current became to easy.

But this is a whole different ball of wax. Some of the exercises are almost no challenge at all, while others (all using the same weight) are difficult. I realize I haven't used some muscle groups in quite some time. And what about when you no longer need the 15 lb kettle and it just sits around collecting dust? Are there exchange programs for these things? I don't have the space to keep all the different size kettles.
    You donít stop riding because youíre getting old, you get old because you stop riding.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Used to do a lot of kettlebell stuff in groups with my old trainer, and he would recommend 12kg bells as a starting weight for women and 16kg bells for men. For many of the best compound movements like 1-hand swing, snatch, clean/jerk those bells probably arent going to challenge you at all. They may have some uses for double-swings and juggling, possibly for balance when doing pistol squats? But yeah, probably a bad buy for you.

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    This is why barbells are the bomb. Having said that, I've got a 16kg kettlebell that I use for KB swings sometimes. But mostly it gathers dust.

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member
    You will probably need to get a few heavier ones as well. The ones you have will be useful, but like dumbbells, you will need a variety.

RobbieC is offline Member
    If I could only have one type of exercise equipment in my garage gym, it would be my kettle bells. I'd get rid of everything else first before parting with my bells. I have 2 x 20kg, 2 x 24kg, and 1 x 32kg. So much amazing work that can be done with these bells.

Watching the women in my CrossFit class working with KBs, I'd say you're going to want heavier weights. 20kg KB swings are common for the ladies in my class.
    Striving to live a life extraordinary.

frances is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HonuRacer View Post

How long do I stay with the weight before I move up to something heavier? I used to lift weights in high school on a universal gym. I would add more weight when the current became to easy.

But this is a whole different ball of wax. Some of the exercises are almost no challenge at all, while others (all using the same weight) are difficult. I realize I haven't used some muscle groups in quite some time. And what about when you no longer need the 15 lb kettle and it just sits around collecting dust? Are there exchange programs for these things? I don't have the space to keep all the different size kettles.
    15 pounds, not 15 kilos? That's awfully light. As you progress, you'll def need heavier bells (I'd say a 16-20-24 kilo progression for a woman [that's what I use, except I deadlift a 28]).

Not all is lost, though. As some things become absurdly easy with that bell, you can move into other exercises for which it is still useful. You might still be able to use it to grind press, and after THAT becomes easy, move on to a kneeling grind press and turkish get ups.

HonuRacer is offline Senior Member
    That just bites. Somehow, though, I thought I had made a mistake getting these after my first workout. I guess I'll pass these on to my son, hopefully he'll use them. I'll have to mail order the heavier ones. That's a pretty pathetic situation in a huge city like Vancouver. The shipping cost is going to kill me!
    You donít stop riding because youíre getting old, you get old because you stop riding.

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    The thing with kettlebells is that for developing endurance they can be a brilliant tool. If you're at all interested in strength, however, then kettlebells are just too non-adjustable - and the gaps between them are huge. So it depends on your priorities, really. Strength = barbells (or bodyweight with varying leverage, if you're one of these bizarre and imprecise folk who can't bear to touch a barbell). For conditioning, kettlebells are fine.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    You could use that KB to work on your Turkish Get-Ups. I wouldn't dare attempt those with anything heavier to start.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    Here's one of those "bizarre and imprecise folk who can't bear to touch a barbell" jerking a 200 lb kettlebell....He's looks pretty well conditioned too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast