Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone avoid chicken because of their feed? page

Buttercup is offline Senior Member

Question Does anyone avoid chicken because of their feed?

The question posted before about the difference between grass-fed and pasture-raised meat got me thinking...

Most chickens are raised on a corn and soy diet, even when given free range. Does anyone avoid chicken for this reason?

I've recently discovered that the beef I've been buying is 100% grass fed, so I will buy it exclusively because other beef is often grain finished. But it seems about impossible to find chicken that isn't fed with corn and soy. I happened to stumble across one that wasn't (it's in my freezer), but it looks like they have a limited supply. Bummer.

Just curious if anyone else has thought about this, or perhaps the feed of other animals they consume. Thanks!
    The Paleo Periodical
    It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Never.
    Unless they're grinding up dead chickens and feeding them back to live chickens, (like how they suspect BSE kicked off) I don't really care what they eat.

It all tastes like chicken to me..

canio6 Guest
    From the site: Not Always Right - a website about customer service stories http://notalwaysright.com/

Grocery Store | Venice Beach, CA, USA

Me: “Hello, how can I help you?”

Customer: “Yes, what does free range chicken mean?”

Me: “That means our chickens are not raised in cages. They get to walk around outside, which is important to the quality of life for the animals.”

Customer: *with a horrified expression* “How do you make sure they don’t eat bugs and stuff while they’re outside?”

Me: “We make sure the farmers put up a sign ‘don’t eat bugs’ in chicken scratch so they can read it.”

Customer: “Oh, okay. I’ll take two breasts.”

*me in the story is not me but the person posting the story

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    No. I avoid them due to the high levels of omega 6's (pasture or not). I enjoy poultry now and then, but my diet is center around grass-finished/grain-finished beef, lamb, goat, bison, some game, and wild seafood.
    Last edited by Zed; 02-22-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    ^^ That reminds me of a funny story from when we had chickens.

Actually, more gross than funny.

Our three ladies were about as free range as you could get. Fed on kitchen scraps, meaty bones, hi protein feed and what ever they could forage for the three or so hours they were out of the coup a day.
    You know what they really liked though.
    Up ending piles of dog shit and pecking out the maggots.

Yep, shit coated maggot lovers are free range chooks.

We, re probably better off with the corn & soy..

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member
    I generally avoid the chicken because of the feed, and high omega6 content.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    No. I avoid them due to the high levels of omega 6's (pasture or not). I enjoy poultry now and then, but my diet is center around grass-finished/grain-finished beef, lamb, goat, bison, some game, and wild seafood.
    +1

lolov is offline Senior Member
    The farm I buy from has pastured chickens... they hang out in the pasture with the pigs/cows all day. I crack up at the store when the egg carton says "Fed vegetarian feed" LOLOLOL... modern humans are so removed from their food they don't even know that chickens aren't herbivores LOLOL.

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lolov View Post
    The farm I buy from has pastured chickens... they hang out in the pasture with the pigs/cows all day. I crack up at the store when the egg carton says "Fed vegetarian feed" LOLOLOL... modern humans are so removed from their food they don't even know that chickens aren't herbivores LOLOL.
    hey, maybe that means their feed is made out of vegetarians

i dont eat as much chicken as i used to. i dont know if its because of the higher omega 6 content, or because i shoved so much boneless skinless chicken breast down my throat during the CW "healthy" days that i got sick of it.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No, I like their crispy fried goodness.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast