Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Cheese!! page

  1. #1
    hartzdaniel's Avatar
    hartzdaniel is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    29

    Cheese!!

    Primal Fuel
    I was at Trader Joe's today and was looking at their cheeses because I love cheese. They have raw cheese which does not say anything about grass-fed, let alone organic; and then they have grass-fed, organic cheese which uses cultured milk.

    I've heard from a fellow PBer that raw = organic AND grass-fed; but I feel like that would be put on the label as they are great marketing/selling points.

    Is cultured milk similar to raw or is it the same? What's the deal with cultured milk?

    Which would you suggest getting? And do you have any info about cultured vs. raw milk?

    Thanks everybody!

  2. #2
    Saoirse's Avatar
    Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6,424
    pretty much all cheese is cultured (exceptions would be queso blanco, paneer, and fresh mozarella). which bacteria or mold was used is the major difference between different types of cheese. raw milk just means it has never been heated above 140f? 160F? but these are usually aged a minimum of 60 days. what do you want to do with the cheese? are you concerned about milk pasteurization? personally, i choose the cheese based on what flavor, texture, and meltability (haha is that a word?) characteristics i'm looking for.

  3. #3
    hartzdaniel's Avatar
    hartzdaniel is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    pretty much all cheese is cultured (exceptions would be queso blanco, paneer, and fresh mozarella). which bacteria or mold was used is the major difference between different types of cheese. raw milk just means it has never been heated above 140f? 160F? but these are usually aged a minimum of 60 days. what do you want to do with the cheese? are you concerned about milk pasteurization? personally, i choose the cheese based on what flavor, texture, and meltability (haha is that a word?) characteristics i'm looking for.
    first of all congratulations on your one thousand and first post!

    I just want to eat cheese haha. Melt it, just slice it and eat it. Whatever!

    I am concerned with pasteurization. Mostly because I am lactose intolerant. And I haven't had problems with raw milk, so I was assuming that I'd have the same results with raw cheese. My other concern is consuming dairy from maltreated cows (a.k.a. not grass-fed)...

  4. #4
    Saoirse's Avatar
    Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6,424
    Quote Originally Posted by hartzdaniel View Post
    first of all congratulations on your one thousand and first post!

    I just want to eat cheese haha. Melt it, just slice it and eat it. Whatever!

    I am concerned with pasteurization. Mostly because I am lactose intolerant. And I haven't had problems with raw milk, so I was assuming that I'd have the same results with raw cheese. My other concern is consuming dairy from maltreated cows (a.k.a. not grass-fed)...
    wow, i hadn't noticed! why thank you!
    i would probably go with organic, grass-fed based on the concerns about humane issue. raw milk might be easier to digest because of the higher lactase content, but cheese has very little lactose so it shouldn't make a difference. i'm lactose intolerant as well, i usually have little issue with harder cheese, bleu cheese, or cottage cheese. others, like brie, i can take a little of before having issues. cheddar is great for melting on top of stuff. swiss is yummy with ham or turkey (also really fantastic melted). if you find fresh mozzarella (it will be surrounded by water in the package), it's very yummy in a caprese salad (slices of mozzarella, tomatoes, and fresh basil leaves, S&P, drizzled with olive oil). cottage cheese is fantastic on its own with a little salt, or mixed with berries. bleu is great stuffed into burger patties. oh man, i love cheese, and we have none in the house!!

  5. #5
    hartzdaniel's Avatar
    hartzdaniel is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    wow, i hadn't noticed! why thank you!
    i would probably go with organic, grass-fed based on the concerns about humane issue. raw milk might be easier to digest because of the higher lactase content, but cheese has very little lactose so it shouldn't make a difference. i'm lactose intolerant as well, i usually have little issue with harder cheese, bleu cheese, or cottage cheese. others, like brie, i can take a little of before having issues. cheddar is great for melting on top of stuff. swiss is yummy with ham or turkey (also really fantastic melted). if you find fresh mozzarella (it will be surrounded by water in the package), it's very yummy in a caprese salad (slices of mozzarella, tomatoes, and fresh basil leaves, S&P, drizzled with olive oil). cottage cheese is fantastic on its own with a little salt, or mixed with berries. bleu is great stuffed into burger patties. oh man, i love cheese, and we have none in the house!!
    I adore cheese too!! I love melting a whole ton of cheddar cheese on spaghetti squash with a homemade meat sauce... SO GOOD!!

    Thanks for the advice! It makes a lot of sense...

    But my first question was only partly answered: what is cultured *milk*? I know cheese is cultured, but if you look at the ingredients on different cheeses, some say "pasteurized milk" and others say "cultured milk" (that's what the organic, grass-fed cheese is made from). I'm curious, as a lactose intolerant person, does cultured milk mean it's easier to digest? What's the difference between raw and cultured milk? And what's the difference between cultured and pasteurized milk?

  6. #6
    Saoirse's Avatar
    Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6,424
    Quote Originally Posted by hartzdaniel View Post
    I adore cheese too!! I love melting a whole ton of cheddar cheese on spaghetti squash with a homemade meat sauce... SO GOOD!!

    Thanks for the advice! It makes a lot of sense...

    But my first question was only partly answered: what is cultured *milk*? I know cheese is cultured, but if you look at the ingredients on different cheeses, some say "pasteurized milk" and others say "cultured milk" (that's what the organic, grass-fed cheese is made from). I'm curious, as a lactose intolerant person, does cultured milk mean it's easier to digest? What's the difference between raw and cultured milk? And what's the difference between cultured and pasteurized milk?
    sorry, i must have been lost in the moment of "cheese" haha. cultured milk is pasteurized, with cultures (bacteria or mold) added. This is what gives the cheese most of its character. i'm not sure why some say cultured and others say pasteurized. it could be just a difference of marketing, or it might be that some of it actually isn't cultured (like in the case of mozzarella). raw usually isn't pasteurized, but most cultured milk must be pasteurized first so the bacteria naturally in the milk do not compete with the bacteria or mold which are added. Pasteurized and cultured milk have both been pasteurized, but cultures are added to the cultured milk. as far as health characteristics or digestibility goes, i don't think it makes a difference.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 02-23-2011 at 09:06 AM.

  7. #7
    Saoirse's Avatar
    Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6,424
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This site has a lot of great info on cheese making, including some of the different cultures used to produce different characteristics, as well as other steps in the cheese making process.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •